Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary wall and neighbours fence

Options
  • 12-04-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hello,

We share a boundary wall and on the neighbours side there is their fence. It's about 12 inches inside the wall on their side. See attached.

I am of the opinion that we cannot paint "our" side of the fence without the neighbours permission. The house next door is rented and we have no idea who or where the landlord is.

I think I'm correct and to paint our side of it wouldn't be legally allowed?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭paulpd

Photo attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I don’t know for sure, but I can’t imagine you allowed paint anything inside someone else’s garden?

Photo attached

XsApollo wrote: »
    I don’t know for sure, but I can’t imagine you allowed paint anything inside someone else’s garden?

This is what I'm thinking. My partner thinks otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

paulpd wrote: »
    Photo attached

Ask them?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Ask them?

When we find them we will. Tenant in there is difficult. A shrug of the shoulders is all we get.

I'm only trying to confirm we can't touch it even though it looks into our garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The fence needs to be painted to preserve it so you would be doing them a favour by painting it.
    If you paint it,some of the paint/preservative will leak through to the other side making it look bad so both sides will have to be painted not just your side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

The fence is not the boundary . It’s just wood in your neighbors garden so no. You can’t paint it without permission from the fence owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

gozunda wrote: »
    Ask them?

+++ on this. Bring them around and say you'd like to bring a bit of colour to it, perhaps with a coloured wood treatment paint (can't you get it in different colours??)

Its a win-win really, their fence has added protection from the elements, and its better to look at. The down side is you'll probably have to pay for the paint.

I'd imagine that if they say no, then regardless of the legalities, painting it would be a bad idea.

edit: whoops, saw your point about tenant after finally submitting my post (two fingered typist). You need to get the LL on board, which would probably work, if you could find him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might consider erecting a similar fence on your side of the boundary wall.
    You would be avoiding having to look at their poorly maintained fence and also covering up your own side of the raw block wall.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    You might consider erecting a similar fence on your side of the boundary wall.
    You would be avoiding having to look at their poorly maintained fence and also covering up your own side of the raw block wall.

This is probably what we'll do. The wall looks fine once painted but a new fence would probably be a better job overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Can you not raise the wall by a couple of solid blocks. Once i suppose it’s not over 2m

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mad m wrote: »
    Can you not raise the wall by a couple of solid blocks. Once i suppose it’s not over 2m

Needs permission from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Hoboo

https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/509258670346181651/

Sorted. Climber plant attached and you'll never need to paint your wall again either.

Advertisement