Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Rightwing wrote: »
    Yeah, graduated from UL in the summer.

Well he certainly hasn't graduated this summer considering the graduations aren't until next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Jaysus he's got his fingers in lots of pies, fair play to him!

Absolutely, it was a masters he did. TG4 work,,,and a successful pub business. He was a director of some marketing company too, not sure if he's still involved with that.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/munster-legend-jerry-flannery-lands-arsenal-coaching-role-29387530.html

He went on to study for a masters in sports performance at the University of Limerick, which he completed in December and, although he has a number of business interests – including a pub in his native Limerick – and is a rugby analyst on TG4, he now has an opportunity to put his academic training into practice with the Gunners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Rightwing wrote: »
    Absolutely, it was a masters he did. TG4 work,,,and a successful pub business. He was a director of some marketing company too, not sure if he's still involved with that.

Was involved in Joe.ie to some degree too.

Good model for a guy like EOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He probably does, but equally he could easily know eff all about S&C for anyone who isn't a hooker of the same body type as him. Being told what to do doesn't make you an expert on what everyone else should be doing.

If he had S&C in mind as an after career he more than likely would have shown an interest in what the rest of the squad were up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

phog wrote: »
    I'd guess if they don't arrive they can be collected/reprinted at the booth outside Thomnd Park, ring tomorrow to check. My MRSC match tickets arrived yesterday.

On the game itself I saw on twitter that Conway is due to start his first Munster game on Saturday.

Rang ticketmaster, after 30 mins of arguing they finally acknowledged I had bought tickets! They apologised and said they should have been sent, and will be available to collect on Saturday before the game!

Cheers guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think that interview with Conway is interesting, in that he says he wasn't contracted to Leinster??

Wasn't the commonly held opinion that he was mid-contract? That he had signed a 2-year one the season before? So... who reported that and why was it wrong?

edit- I see it was been discussed in the Leinster thread

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It was reported throughout the media that he had signed a 2 year deal last year. It's a very odd situation. One can only assume that, if that's the case, the second year was an option that he rejected. But that doesn't tally with the claim that he was offered a new contract at Leinster.

Here's the release from Leinster at the time: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/1741.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Buer wrote: »
    It was reported throughout the media that he had signed a 2 year deal last year. It's a very odd situation. One can only assume that, if that's the case, the second year was an option that he rejected. But that doesn't tally with the claim that he was offered a new contract at Leinster.

Here's the release from Leinster at the time: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/news/1741.php

Could have quite easily just have been a mistake in the press release. You'd have to wonder if Leinster only chose to offer him the one year or if would only accept a one year deal.

So we have Gloucester coming up at the weekend, then London Irish, before we kick off against Edinburgh.

Do we know whether the internationals will be available for the Edinburgh game? I'm guessing that the Lions will miss out but the likes of POM, Kilcoyne, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fireball07 wrote: »
    So we have Gloucester coming up at the weekend, then London Irish, before we kick off against Edinburgh.

Do we know whether the internationals will be available for the Edinburgh game? I'm guessing that the Lions will miss out but the likes of POM, Kilcoyne, etc?

Last season they rested all the internationals for September? Wouldn't count on having POM, Kilcoyne, Ryan or the Lions - and Earls, LOD and Jones are injured.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Last season they rested all the internationals for September? Wouldn't count on having POM, Kilcoyne, Ryan or the Lions - and Earls, LOD and Jones are injured.

But O'Donnell, Sherry, Foley, Keatley, Nagle and Ryan were all involved in Ireland squads of some description this summer. Would limit us a lot.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    But O'Donnell, Sherry, Foley, Keatley, Nagle and Ryan were all involved in Ireland squads of some description this summer. Would limit us a lot.

Scary thought! http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/12164.php#.UhUSYNLVBtU says Keatley and Nagle available anyway - they were on the Emerging Ireland tour. Looks like the guys on the senior tour and Lions are out for this weekend anyway. Question will be how soon they come back

So, as strong a possible a team for Edinburgh might be:

15. Denis Hurley
    14. Andrew Conway
    13. Casey Laulala
    12. James Downey
    11. Ronan O'Mahony
    10. Ian Keatley
    9. Cathal Sheridan
    8. James Coughlan
    7. CJ Stander
    6. Dave O'Callaghan
    5. Ian Nagle
    4. Donncha O'Callaghan
    3. BJ Botha
    2. Damien Varley
    1. James Cronin

16. Niall Scannell
    17. John Ryan
    18. Stephen Archer
    19. Billy Holland
    20. Paddy Butler/Sean Dougall/Niall Ronan
    21. Duncan Williams
    22. JJ Hanrahan
    23. Johne Murphy

We do have decent options in the back row even without POM and TOD. You'd expect Stander to start, as well as Coughlan.... but there wouldn't be much between DOC2.0/Butler/Dougall/Ronan for the remaining starting space and sub slot.

Loosehead looks very light, I'd say Cronin might get the start with Ryan on the bench, could be wrong there. Will be good to see Scannell involved in the squad, although Casey is another option as sub hooker.

And wing is the other place we're light without Earls, Zebo, LOD and Howlett's retirement. I'd like to see ROM given the nod ahead of Murphy tbh.

It's a decent team, all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Rang ticketmaster, after 30 mins of arguing they finally acknowledged I had bought tickets! They apologised and said they should have been sent, and will be available to collect on Saturday before the game!

Cheers guys!

It might be no harm to bring whatever confirmation ref no you have and the credit card you used to book the tickets as proof. I had an issue with Ticketmaster before and was messed about a bit by them, as things the guy at their ticket desk at Thomond Park was very helpful but I'm still waiting for the supervisor that was in duty in their call centre to ring me back - must be about three years ago, long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭No, you're a...

Penney set to take on scrum coach role

Article from Irish Indo ()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Article from Irish Indo ()

Try again son... although my phone hates me so could be me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Try again son... although my phone hates me so could be me

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3825_8882240,00.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I see from the end of the indo article that Penny says that the internationals will be staggered back into action from the first weekend of the Rabo onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭eire_lad

Hurley, Conway, lualarry, dineen, munrphy, keats, duncan,,,,cronin, sherry , ryan, o callaghan , holland, stander,ronan, coughlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

So.... Who's on Conway watch? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'll be there, I can post updates if ye like.

Nice one.

Fairly decent team, pro12 standard anyway.

Hold on, where the **** is John Hayes?!

Hold on, where the **** is John Hayes?!

Skills and Kicking Coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭eire_lad

Wonder what the attendance will be. Think max limerick FC got was close to 2k over the summer... wouldn't be a great sign for soccer support in the city if a meaning less friendly rugby game drew a bigger crowd,,which i can see happening.. If there was any any bit average crowd there it could open up the oppurtunity for a 7's comp to be staged over the summers...would draw a crowd i reckon...prob a bit off topic

eire_lad wrote: »
    Hurley, Conway, lualarry, dineen, munrphy, keats, duncan,,,,cronin, sherry , ryan, o callaghan , holland, stander,ronan, coughlin

Strong enough team... no JJ though.

Saw on twitter that there's a panel of 19 named, a few club players included, not sure if that's with B&I cup in mind or what. Looking forward to live rugby again, great that's it a Sat evening game too, no rushing from work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

eire_lad wrote: »
    Wonder what the attendance will be. Think max limerick FC got was close to 2k over the summer... wouldn't be a great sign for soccer support in the city if a meaning less friendly rugby game drew a bigger crowd,,which i can see happening.. If there was any any bit average crowd there it could open up the oppurtunity for a 7's comp to be staged over the summers...would draw a crowd i reckon...prob a bit off topic

Only the East stand/terrace is being opened so they obviously aren't expecting many to attend. Pity really as it seems to be the strongest pre season team I've seen in quite a while.

Is nobody else going to do this..?

Duncan starting at 9! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Shhh, don't tell athtrasna!

• Advertisement

... Tries to bite tongue.... Fails... Is Sheridan injured?

athtrasna wrote: »
    ... Tries to bite tongue.... Fails... Is Sheridan injured?

I'd imagine Sheridan is being kept with JJ, his Bohs halfback partner and Duncan is covering for Murray with Keatley ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭kub

Any bit of luck so he may not be playing the game down in Musgrave next week:D

It's a shame we didn't sign someone like Heaney, who was originally out of contract before signing a long term deal with Ulster.

Murray is our most important player in terms of staying fit. While POC is vital too Munster have a lot better (and proven) cover at lock than scrumhalf. Hopefully Brian Haugh or another young scrum-half gets some Rabo gametime at some stage during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

It's a shame we didn't sign someone like Heaney, who was originally out of contract before signing a long term deal with Ulster.

Murray is our most important player in terms of staying fit. While POC is vital too Munster have a lot better (and proven) cover at lock than scrumhalf.

Willis has been released by Sale, I'm surprised that Munster haven't inquired.

Willis has been released by Sale, I'm surprised that Munster haven't inquired.

Gerry Hurley's signing made a lot of sense. He seemed to be involved in recent pre-seasons so he wouldn't need much time to bed-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Gerry Hurley's signing made a lot of sense. He seemed to be involved in recent pre-seasons so he wouldn't need much time to bed-in.

Remains to be seen if he is up to playing the pro game however, I reckon Willis would have been the safer bet although I really know little abut Hurley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

But is he any good? I don't know anything about him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

For the sake of it, I think it's worth giving Williams one or two chances at the start of the season. He played terribly in general last year, but feck it - he's on contract for another, so we might as well get some sort of use out of him.

I do recall at some stage last year that one poster commended Williams over Stringer - said that at least Williams offered some sort of threat with ball in hand.

Not saying he's going to be in anyway good this year, let's be clear. Just feel we should give the fella a chance. A very quick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Cannot wait for tomorrow evening now, it's been too long!

Looking forward to seeing how stander and Conway play!...Also Keatley now he knows the pressure of rog isn't there!

Will throw a few pics up on twitter for ye :D

I love Paulie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

I love Paulie!

That is brilliant, Munster seem to have gotten their arse in gear marketing wise in recent times, wonder is that by proxy of who isn't there, along with who is?

That is brilliant, Munster seem to have gotten their arse in gear marketing wise in recent times, wonder is that by proxy of who isn't there, along with who is?

Its very good. Thats the benefit of having Addidas with their big marketing budgets.

Same 3 players that were used last season when they were shop assistants.

Seems to be highly rated in the AIL. Captained the Ireland Club XVs as well, so very experienced. Could be another James Coughlan in the making as there was a long queue of SHs in Munster when he was in the Academy.

• Advertisement

IIRC he was in the senior setup before and was given feck all time even when the SHs ahead were picking up knocks. Somebody didn't rate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I love Paulie!

POC is perceived by most as such an intense and serious person compared to how DOC is perceived. POC always comes across as the biggest messer and best craic out of any Irish player whenever he's on camera behind the scenes.

For those of you on twitter.
    Peter O Mahony ‏@peterom6 54m I'm going to be answering questions tonight from 6 for an hour through the Bank of Ireland twitter page @talktoBOI . Chat then!

I love Paulie!

While it's funny I preferred last season's one of the lads "working" in the Munster Rugby Store.

For the sake of it, I think it's worth giving Williams one or two chances at the start of the season. He played terribly in general last year, but feck it - he's on contract for another, so we might as well get some sort of use out of him.

I do recall at some stage last year that one poster commended Williams over Stringer - said that at least Williams offered some sort of threat with ball in hand.

Not saying he's going to be in anyway good this year, let's be clear. Just feel we should give the fella a chance. A very quick one.

He's getting this chance whether we like it or not. (And most of you know where I stand on the issue!) but here's hoping that if he doesn't make a case for it then he's not given too many more of them in the first 23.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement