Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bent couldn't possibly get 160k a year if he's third choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Bent couldn't possibly get 160k a year if he's third choice!

He has to be very close to it. Th is one of the top paid players and ross' s wages are being paid by irfu. Heard moore was offered 200k to move to exeter. So whether you like it or not it is probably true. 160k a year.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    He has to be very close to it. Th is one of the top paid players and ross' s wages are being paid by irfu. Heard moore was offered 200k to move to exeter. So whether you like it or not it is probably true. 160k a year.

I neither like it nor dislike it, but it's a lot of money going towards a third choice player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's 160k over two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

blackdog1 wrote: »

It's not true. There's no way in hell he signed a contract to earn 160k a year having only ever played ITM rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

It's not true. There's no way in hell he signed a contract to earn 160k a year having only ever played ITM rugby

all that hard work that bent does justifies his payment.

He deserves and needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭blackdog1

He was signed originally on 150-160k a year is what I heard. He didn't take 80k of a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Jaggo

Poor Mr. Bent, the man does absolutely nothing and it provokes controversy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Well it depends on what he was signed on originally.

I can't see him taking much of a pay cut since he got here no matter what the Branch think of him and I can't see him coming over for small money either.

His situation is completely different to Sexton too, the Union were taking the piss with him (hence him moving to Racing).

Bent was signed in late March 2012. He had about 5 S15 appearances in his career at that point. I can't see him commanding a particularly big salary. I would have expected him to be on about €90k at that point which would be a serious jump in salary for a bloke who was generally a NPC player where the maximum salary is 60k NZD or about €38k (I'm sure he'd have been getting bumped a bit from being in the Hurricanes squad).

If he has been given a huge jump in salary then fair play to him but it flies in the face of everything we've seen about salaries in the past. I'm sure most of us saw the interview with Muldoon a couple of years ago who said that an experienced Pro12 player who isn't in the international shake up can hope to be on about €120k.

Personally, I think the €80k notion is a bit low and he's probably on more than that but I would struggle to buy into the idea that he's on as much as €160k regardless of his position or his two international sub appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

We need to remember the context when he was signed. International teams still needed an ambidextrous prop on the bench and Tom Court had recently gotten destroyed in Twickenham. Ireland desperately needed a TH who could cover LH. Bent had the skills and the necessary ancestry so he would have been in a string position negotiating his salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

John_C wrote: »
    We need to remember the context when he was signed. International teams still needed an ambidextrous prop on the bench and Tom Court had recently gotten destroyed in Twickenham. Ireland desperately needed a TH who could cover LH. Bent had the skills and the necessary ancestry so he would have been in a string position negotiating his salary.

He was signed when 23 man squads had been anounced

He was signed by Leinster though, not by Ireland. And the 23 man rule as in place at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

He was signed by Leinster though, not by Ireland. And the 23 man rule as in place at that stage

Cmon. The fact he was immediately IQ is why he was signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Fair enough, I must be remembering wrong.

When he signed, it was strongly rumoured that the 23 man squads were on the way and, by the time he was here, they were in place. We already had Court, Loughney and Fitzpatrick who could prop on both sides. For all the criticism that Court took, does a better job on both sides than Bent.

Regardless of that, Leinster signed him, not the IRFU and they had 23 man squads at that time already.

They weren't at international level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    They weren't at international level.

They weren't implemented. but they were incoming. They were implemented by the time he arrived, as the IRFU knew they would be. He was not signed to play 17 in 22-man squads for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

is it my turn to claim I know how much Bent is on yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

danthefan wrote: »
    Cmon. The fact he was immediately IQ is why he was signed.

This. The new NIQ rules forced the Irish provinces to look further a field for IQ'ed talent. The rules meant that only 1 out of the at least 9 players needed by the provinces could be NIQ and at the time we didn't have 8 decent IQ players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

The average Leinster player is on around 70k per annum. It's simply rubbish that Bent is on 160k a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Hagz wrote: »
    The average Leinster player is on around 70k per annum. It's simply rubbish that Bent is on 160k a year.

i think he meant 16 thousand per year.

No he didn't. That's less than minimum wage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

:pac:

Classic KenM!

No he didn't. That's less than minimum wage

Unless he's on a development contract. There are guys on dv's that make half that.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If Bent, as a third choice provincial prop is on 160 grand a year then there must be some amount of money floating about the Leinster branch.

There is not a hope. I'd be surprised if his annual salary broke the 100k barrier.

That said, with regard to the average Leinster salary being ~70k does that include all the development / backup players who'll be on relatively "normal" salaries? It must do, which may skew it a bit.

Definitley doesn't include the dv's, but certainly your Denton's, Roux's, Auva'a's etc.

I heard he's on more than Barrack Obama but less than Enda Kenny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

SNN0103FL-380_4__836073a.jpg

One last turn folks, Higher or Lower :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I heard they gave him a solid gold house a rocket car when he arrived.

• Advertisement

Bent's Brucesy Bonus!

your full of **** Dan I saw that house its not solid gold looked more like leaf to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

He heard he had a hoverboard so f**k the lot of you!

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Definitley doesn't include the dv's, but certainly your Denton's, Roux's, Auva'a's etc.

Yea that's what I meant.

I'm sure there are plenty of players in the 60/70/80k bracket which is going to drag the average down.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

The likes of Dev, Maty, Jordi and Rhys would have gotten a decent boost to their main salary with their Irish caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Jaggo wrote: »
    Poor Mr. Bent, the man does absolutely nothing and it provokes controversy. :)

That beard is all good publicity IMO.
    Buer wrote: »
    I'm sure most of us saw the interview with Muldoon a couple of years ago who said that an experienced Pro12 player who isn't in the international shake up can hope to be on about €120k.

That IRB one with Mackintosh now with Chiefs and a Saffer barrel of a prop?

I'm pretty sure I had Muldoon on about €80k then from memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Brendan%20Gleeson%20%20Braveheart%20(1995).jpg

For your information, I'm on a million Kiwi dollars. Or Australian. Or maybe Singapore? Pretty sure I stopped off there on my way here.

Anyway, stop talking about me.

Regards
    Mike Bent.

5 pages of speculation of what Bent earns this is our punishment for not beating Toulon. This should have been an exciting week for us and this is what we have reduced ourselves to doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

On more important matters who is going to Wales for the A match and will give us a good match report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

salmocab wrote: »
    5 pages of speculation of what Bent earns this is our punishment for not beating Toulon. This should have been an exciting week for us and this is what we have reduced ourselves to doing.

Just wait until the season ends. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Poor Jenno...."When I was a young lad we didn't have all these fancy widgety-bobs.....". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Any update on the lock, rumours on LF but mostly just that.

With Leo and possibly Roux going its well needed for the new RABO league especially during International periods at the very least.

Talk of Kane Douglas leaving in a world cup year even though he is happy but maybe too big an option and would be unavailable like Zane or maybe we are buying players who rhyme with Zane. :D

A project player/Gopperth type available all year more likely I imagine

I can't imagine we'll be going for a project player. I think MOC has plans to get the biggest acquisition he can. Kane Douglas sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

ssaye2 wrote: »
    A project player/Gopperth type available all year more likely I imagine

That's the way of it now unfortunately.

It's mad that when we won the HC in 2009, we had Contepomi, Elsom, Whitaker, van der Linde and Nacewa; only Stan Wright was not an established star when he arrived. It's unlikely we'll ever be able or allowed to attract that calibre of player again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

God those jerseys are mank, why would Rabo want their brand on such ugly shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

errlloyd wrote: »
    God those jerseys are mank, why would Rabo want their brand on such ugly shirts.

if you visit the Rabodirect website you'll probably see why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I actually quite like the design of them, just not the colour scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dont get too used to them. The Pro12 stops being 'Da Rabo' in 37 days.

Hunky Dorys league here we come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Have they lined up a new sponsor yet?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement