Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Grimebox wrote: »
    That's the joke. Just something inane to say when people are discussing weather

doh !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

If a leg of lamb isn't pink it's sacrilegious in my book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Always found lamb a bit too rich for my tastes. Was in Galway for the weekend, didn't catch the Munster game but went to a place called La Salsa. Jesus it was awful

Took my first cycle in traffic ever today. Cycled through town to st Anne's park for the battle of clontarf. Have to say I've been missing out! Should've bought a bike years ago. I didn't end up under a car so that's a plus.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    Took my first cycle in traffic ever today. Cycled through town to st Anne's park for the battle of clontarf. Have to say I've been missing out! Should've bought a bike years ago. I didn't end up under a car so that's a plus.

Did you buy a roadbike?

awec wrote: »
    Did you buy a roadbike?

Actually a MTB as I plan on doing some trails in the summer.

Actually a MTB as I plan on doing some trails in the summer.

Cycling on the road with a MTB? Heathen!

All that friction and lack of aerodynamics!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Get into town and it's a new experience. A lot of cyclists behave like the rules of the road don't apply to them but they're also completely ignored by a number of drivers. I only cycled to work for about 5 months but had some stupid near misses. You get clipped when you're in your motor and you're p*ssed cause you might have to pay a bit of cash for a new wing mirror. Get clipped on a bike and you're waiting for an ambulance.

On a side note, the old lad lives about 300m from the park so was there yesterday and today, fantastic event and fair play to those who organised it. Today was only about a third of the crowd that was there yesterday though. I don't know who decided to schedule maintenance on the Dart line going northside for today. Utterly moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

If a leg of lamb isn't pink it's sacrilegious in my book!

Cooked it at 150°. It was pink, but think I spent so much time cooking it I was just sick of the sight of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Always found lamb a bit too rich for my tastes. Was in Galway for the weekend, didn't catch the Munster game but went to a place called La Salsa. Jesus it was awful

That place is horrific. I got a burrito there once and it was more like a kebab

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The comfort though! No jaw jarring bumps as you go over the many pot holes.

I should get a bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    Get into town and it's a new experience. A lot of cyclists behave like the rules of the road don't apply to them but they're also completely ignored by a number of drivers. I only cycled to work for about 5 months but had some stupid near misses. You get clipped when you're in your motor and you're p*ssed cause you might have to pay a bit of cash for a new wing mirror. Get clipped on a bike and you're waiting for an ambulance.

On a side note, the old lad lives about 300m from the park so was there yesterday and today, fantastic event and fair play to those who organised it. Today was only about a third of the crowd that was there yesterday though. I don't know who decided to schedule maintenance on the Dart line going northside for today. Utterly moronic.
    Brother is in Trinity and cycles in and out and says he simply has to break rules of road in most cases for his own safety as car drivers just too ignorant of cyclists etc and its much safer in a lot of cases to break many rules of road.
    I cycle quite a bit. Did 3000km last year mainly for tri training but had 3 months of commuting as well. Load of near misses and 1/2 crashes but not too many bad injuries

Ha. I never really understood why people take cycling so seriously, with all the super aerodynamic carbon road bikes you can get now adays that look more like something from a speed track. But then if your commuting serious miles every day or doing big spins then why not.

Yeah I live in town. I took it out for a spin around a few blocks first. Have to say I was utterly ****ting it, especially when trying to get into the right lane or going through junctions. I'm also just out of a brace for a fractured knee so I kept thinking 'don't fly off the bike, don't fly off the bike, don't....'

But with everything once you make a few mistakes you learn from it quickly. By the time I got out to Marino today I felt confident. I just treat myself as a car, but an invisible one. ;) I did make a few mistakes like a couple of times I had right of way and just kept on full speed at a t section! but you hear stories all of the time of cyclists who have the right of way getting clipped cuz drivers can't see them or just don't register them in their minds eye. So that kinda freaks you out when you realise that could've been that driver and you were going pretty fast... So from then on I make sure I'm going at a speed I can stop easily at coming up to any turns, junctions, lights etc.

Yeah to be honest I thought the reenactment was a bit lame. Although if I had kids it'd be ideal for that sort of thing. Cool atmosphere though and for something that's free it was great and it was nice to go around the trails in st Anne's on the new bike!

I thought the fact that the only way of seeing the reenactment was over a barrier was a bit silly. If you're like me, vertically challenged, then you won't see much as there crowd was 4 or 5 deep around the barrier. Some raised seating or platforms would've been handy.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    The comfort though! No jaw jarring bumps as you go over the many pot holes.

Yeah you really feel the benefit of opening up the suspension, especially in some of the roads in Clontarf where there are so many bumps and holes, and if you stand up on the pedals it's completely smooth. I also took her for a spin on the off-road trails in the park and I'm very happy with my choice of going mtb. It's just so much fun doing off road stuff and it's quite challenging too, getting the gear balance right etc.

If you're going to start cycling on the road you need to shave your legs and arms. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

MTB are great but for cycling on the road road bikes are king, the speed and distance you can go is brilliant.

In the city it doesn't matter too much but on the open road the difference is huge.

Ballinastoe and Ticknock are great fun too though but bombing along at dusk on a country road (obviously with good quality lights) is brilliant. We've so many great places in Ireland to cycle I think.

Stocking lane is popular. A total bitch to get up where you'll want to crawl in to a ball and weep but amazing to come down.

I got over 80km/h on the descent there, always interesting when a sheep suddenly appears on the road!

Yeah I will mostly be using it in town, I live off Parnell st. Also really tempted to start doing more off road stuff with it over the summer.

Reports are rife that Moyes is about to get the bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Reports are rife that Moyes is about to get the bullet.

Hallelujah!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Moyes and O'Grady both gone... might throw my name into the hat.

Moyes must stay.

Moyes must stay.

Let's get a petition going...

Heard Giggs is taking over, temporarily, that could be interesting.

For the first time ever I just saw the Angelus on RTÉ. :pac:

Was sitting here wondering what those bells were about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Go to Roundstone. It's a must. The scenery is ball breaking...and drive up through the Twelve Pins to Westport and Croagh Patrick and back to Clifden vis Louisburgh and Killary Harbour. Magical.

Got as far as Roundstone Jaco...which was very nice. Lost 2 toes to frostbite after dipping my foot into the deceptively aqua blue water at Dog's Bay, but the white sandy beaches were great for a stroll.

Clifden remains charming, although 1 point subtracted for the local Supervalu stocking Harp.

Tried Green spot whiskey .ak, it's kind of like Jameson Gold, so if you like JG (which I don't particularly, being more of an Islay man) then it's worth a try

Read the autobiography from the pilot who successfully landed his plane on the Hudson river, was actually a really good read.

And went 48+ hours without glancing once at the forum :pac:

For the first time ever I just saw the Angelus on RTÉ. :pac:

Was sitting here wondering what those bells were about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

http://lovindublin.com/feature/cursing-hipster-helmets-well-written-wills-10-top-tips-cycling-dublin/

There you go .ak

You ever cycled one of the Dublin bikes? They weigh a tonne!

Good scheme though, but from what I hear some of the city centre stops are either always full or always empty which causes problems.

They ship them around the city to make up for that but it has still put me out. I've been late for lectures because all the bike stops have been full so I'd have to cycle well out of my way just to get rid of it

• Advertisement

Aaaand Moyes is sacked.

"The Chosen One" :)

"The Chosen One" :)

Unfortunately, I would think there will be no holding back now and United will go all out to sign one of the top managers around. They made a risky appointment last time. They will go for established class now.

Van Gaal I reckon but they'll have to wait til after the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Aaaand Moyes is sacked.

Just heard on the news that he starts with sky next week...

Apparently he'll be installing his first dish next Wednesday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

so new poll.

Do we need an .ak Agony aunt thread

That's a loaded question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

1907950_838887052791809_2101368688957621041_n.jpg

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11242767

A former ITM Cup rugby player has received a life ban from the code after punching a referee in the head at a game.
    Whetu Barber received the ban from Waikato Rugby Union judiciary earlier tonight after punching referee Mark Ray while playing for Otorohanga against Morrinsville in a premier B fixture on Friday.
    Barber was yellow-carded for elbowing a player and then red-carded for talking back to the referee.
    He was leaving the field when he returned and punched the referee...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Fargo tv show is really good

Fargo tv show is really good

Yeah watched it last night. Billy Bob and Martin Freeman are amazing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ssaye2 wrote: »
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11242767

A former ITM Cup rugby player has received a life ban from the code after punching a referee in the head at a game.
    Whetu Barber received the ban from Waikato Rugby Union judiciary earlier tonight after punching referee Mark Ray while playing for Otorohanga against Morrinsville in a premier B fixture on Friday.
    Barber was yellow-carded for elbowing a player and then red-carded for talking back to the referee.
    He was leaving the field when he returned and punched the referee...

He came back to punch the ref? Classy.

I love Remi Gaillard. His elevator pranks have to be my favourite

He dressed up as a fly half for a French team before and ran on to take the kick off.

• Advertisement

just finished binge watching House of Cards. excellent show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Anybody watching the snooker?

Doherty rolling back the years it seems!

GO ON KEN!!!

Anybody watching the snooker?

Doherty rolling back the years it seems!

GO ON KEN!!!

Is it on TV? I can only see Perry/O'Sullivan on BBC2

Snooker is the best hangover TV in the world. The commentators even whisper for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Grimebox wrote: »
    Is it on TV? I can only see Perry/O'Sullivan on BBC2

Snooker is the best hangover TV in the world. The commentators even whisper for you

Im working but I think Eurosport have it on both 1 and 2 so both tables covered.

BBC Red Button probably has it too

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Anyone else have phone as part of their UPC bundle but never actually bothered getting a phone to use with it?

WELL, this appeared a while back and I now have a land line number ringing straight to my tablet \o/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.upc.horizon.phone

I know it's called Horizon phone, but we don't have horizon and can still use it without issue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement