Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013-4 Heineken Cup Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

Well then I'd have to question your judgement to be honest. I've seen the game twice and I can't really understand how you could arrive at that conclusion, especially so decisively.
    Just a difference of opinion then I suppose. I thought he just let everything go at the breakdown and didnt referee the offside line well at all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The offside line is really something the touch judges should look after, they have by far the best view of it. Alot of the time the ref will even have his back to the defensive line too!

At the breakdown I don't really remember any or many problems I had with how Barnes reffed it. I just thought the Toulon players got in early and we couldn't ruck them out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Woody1997 wrote: »
    While I admit that Leinster lost to Toulon for a whole host of reasons other than Barnes, his, in my opinion, awful refereeing of the breakdown didn't help them at all. At one stage Bastareaud was not even close to supporting his own weight with one hand grabbing at the ball and Barnes gave the penalty to him. I reiterate that the referee was not the losing of this match for Leinster, but i find the notion that he had a very good game quite ridiculous.

The bolded part is where your argument falls down. At one stage? How many breakdowns did Toulon win over the course of the 80?

At any given tackle area, ruck, scrum etc, you have a multitude of players either playing the absolute limit of the rules or outright cheating. It's an inevitable fact of life that fans of team A won't like it when team B gets a penalty and will find some reason to challenge it. So yeah, maybe Bastareaud got an incorrect penalty but that's the nature of the game, it didn't remotely affect the outcome so who cares?

As one of the most blue-eyed Leinster fans walking the earth, I can safely say that Barnes did a very good job in the QF and that Leinster were legitimately made to look amateur at every breakdown. The better team won, not because of or in spite of the referee, but because they were the better team, as is the case in 99.9% of games.

Criticising a referee's interpretation of "the breakdown" is one of my pet peeves too, it's just non-specific enough so that it can't directly disproved, and I have yet to see anyone here state that "wow, the ref is letting everything go at the breakdown and it's my team that is benefitting hugely". It always seems to be the opposition getting away with murder.

Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

The bolded part is where your argument falls down. At one stage? How many breakdowns did Toulon win over the course of the 80?

At any given tackle area, ruck, scrum etc, you have a multitude of players either playing the rules or outright cheating. It's an inevitable fact of life that fans of team A won't like it when team B gets a penalty and will find some reason to challenge it. So yeah, maybe Bastareaud got an incorrect penalty but that's the nature of the game, it didn't remotely affect the outcome so who cares?

As one of the most blue-eyed Leinster fans walking the earth, I can safely say that Barnes did a very good job in the QF and that Leinster were legitimately made to look amateur at every breakdown. The better team won, not because of or in spite of the referee, but because they were the better team, as is the case in 99.9% of games.

Criticising a referee's interpretation of "the breakdown" is one of my pet peeves too, it's just non-specific enough so that it can't directly disproved, and I have yet to see anyone here state that "wow, the ref is letting everything go at the breakdown and it's my team that is benefitting hugely". It always seems to be the opposition getting away with murder.

Funny that.
    To be honest there were quite a few rucks where Toulon were spoiling the ball ilegally. As I said, this was not the reason Leinster lost the match, I also never mentioned that Leinster weren't awarded some dodgy decisions throughout the match, as there was one particular incident where I thought Leinster were lucky to get a penalty.

The reason I used the phrase "At one stage" was because I felt that that particular incident best highlighted Barnes' poor officiating of the breakdown. I don't really see how you have a problem with people criticising a referee's interpretation of the breakdown, it's quite a large part of the game.

As I mentioned originally, Leinster did not deserve to win in Toulon and there were countless other reasons why the didn't other than the referee's interpretation of the ruck area, however, I felt that Barnes did a poor job in this area, as I have felt after quite a few of the games I have seen him officiate over the years, the vast majority of which did not invlove Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

To be honest there were quite a few rucks where Toulon were spoiling the ball ilegally. As I said, this was not the reason Leinster lost the match, I also never mentioned that Leinster weren't awarded some dodgy decisions throughout the match, as there was one particular incident where I thought Leinster were lucky to get a penalty.

The reason I used the phrase "At one stage" was because I felt that that particular incident best highlighted Barnes' poor officiating of the breakdown. I don't really see how you have a problem with people criticising a referee's interpretation of the breakdown, it's quite a large part of the game.

As I mentioned originally, Leinster did not deserve to win in Toulon and there were countless other reasons why the didn't other than the referee's interpretation of the ruck area, however, I felt that Barnes did a poor job in this area, as I have felt after quite a few of the games I have seen him officiate over the years, the vast majority of which did not invlove Leinster.

Toulon were just different class. I'm afraid the same will apply to Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So what was wrong with his interpretation of the breakdown then?

You've just said he was poor. Can you actually explain what he was doing that was incorrect, and which very few other fans seem to have noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

http://www.planetrugby.com/gallery/story/0,25928,9825_9278338,00.html

Planet rugby put together a list of the top 10 try scorers in H cup history. How many Irish players dya tjink? Think it would be shorter to list the players who aren't irish!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

9. Michel Marfaing (Toulouse): 24 tries in 38 matches

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Rougerie injured for Clermont, Benson Stanley in at 13.

Byrne ; Sivivatu, Stanley, Fofana, Nalaga ; James, Parra ; Chouly, Lee, Bonnaire (cap) ; Hines, Cudmore ; Zirakashvili, Kayser, Domingo.

Subs: Paulo, Debaty, Ric, Pierre, Vosloo, Lacrampe, Delany, Nakaitaci.

15. Alex Goode; 14. Chris Ashton, 13. Marcelo Bosch, 12. Brad Barritt, 11. David Strettle; 10. Owen Farrell, 9. Neil de Kock; 1. Mako Vunipola, 2. Schalk Brits, 3. James Johnston, 4. Steve Borthwick ©, 5. Mouritz Botha, 6. Kelly Brown, 7. Jacques Burger, 8. Billy Vunipola.

Replacements; 16. Jamie George, 17. Richard Barrington, 18. Matt Stevens, 19. Alistair Hargreaves, 20. Jackson Wray, 21. Richard Wiggleworth, 22. Tim Streather, 23. Chris Wyles.

I hope Clermont stuff them, but this is not going to be a pretty game at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Rougerie injured for Clermont, Benson Stanley in at 13.

Ah the poor buggers, one more injury and they would have had to bring in Regan King! Disaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Yet another tackle in the air. Jamie Elliott should really do better there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

matthew8 wrote: »
    Yet another tackle in the air. Jamie Elliott should really do better there.

Commentator explaining that the referees have received a new directive for dealing with in the air situations.
    IRB clearly reacting to recent issues and acting to ensure a consistent approach.

Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

World class from kahn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Good TMO decision, did not look like it touched his finger. Northampton stretching their lead.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,854 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Good TMO decision, did not look like it touched his finger. Northampton stretching their lead.

Funny, I could see a clear change in the balls trajectory. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

feck me, Ugo is a good talker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I know it's really petty but I don't think I've ever wanted a non Irish team to win before as much as today.

Please Clermont, please do this today...you simply have to win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Anyone know is twickenham sold out today? After having 83,000 at Wembley the other week today's match should really be sold out or close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Anyone know is twickenham sold out today? After having 83,000 at Wembley the other week today's match should really be sold out or close to it.

Not even close. As of last week there were 25k tickets sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

No way would this match sell out, Sarries have approx 10k capacity at home,couple of thou Clermont fans to travel, including casual Sarries fans, that would make 20k going, you might get another 10-15k genuine rugby fans going as well, but that's your lot I'd think

Saracens just don't really have the bandwaggon the Irish provinces do. But it'll be a real shame to the see the SF of Europe's premier club competition played in a third full stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

That's a very poor attendance. Piss poor infact.

Wasps got 30,000 at a league game last week at Twickers. For a euro semi-final you would expect at least 50,000 from a major English club.

Different I know but that match would sell out in the Aviva.

Edit - I went on ticketmaster and you can get tickets for £16, that's dirt cheap. If your only getting 25,000 at prices as cheap as this your in a spot of bother.

danthefan wrote: »
    Saracens just don't really have the bandwaggon the Irish provinces do. But it'll be a real shame to the see the SF of Europe's premier club competition played in a third full stadium.

The semi final if a now defunct tourney that the English clubs weren't commited to would maybe a little more accurate perhaps?
    Could explain the lack of paying customers

The semi final if a now defunct tourney that the English clubs weren't commited to would maybe a little more accurate perhaps?
    Could explain the lack of paying customers

If they make a SF next season I don't think you'll see any change in the attendance. The problem isn't the clubs being committed, it's convincing the average man on the street who quite frankly doesn't give a toss what the tournament is called to go to the game. Saracens have a relatively small core of fans and they don't seem to be appealing to a wider audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Yeah nothing to do with the tournament, Saracens just don't have that big of a fan base, London hasn't warmed to their style of rugby and there are only so many South Africans in London

danthefan wrote: »
    If they make a SF next season I don't think you'll see any change in the attendance. The problem isn't the clubs being committed, it's convincing the average man on the street who quite frankly doesn't give a toss what the tournament is called to go to the game. Saracens have a relatively small core of fans and they don't seem to be appealing to a wider audience.

I meant English rugby fans in general. I would have thought that if Ulster v Clermont was on in Lansdowne rd there would be an amount of Leinster, Munster & Connacht fans wishing to go & watch Sivivatu & the like.

• Administrators Posts: 54,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Allons enfants de la Patrie le jour de gloire est arrivé !

Come on Clermont, destroy this lot today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

G'wan Farrell, all of boards is behind you. Take our advice and you'll have a great day at the office.

We reckon you could take Jamie Cudmore in a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

G'wan Farrell, all of boards is behind you. Take our advice and you'll have a great day at the office.

We reckon you could take Jamie Cudmore in a fight.

Sure Cudmore's still in the bold books since his rumble with O'Connell.. :P How about Hines instead?!

No fan of Ashton but he's 23/10 to score a try today.. Backed it so probably guarantees he doesn't score now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I've never wanted a side to lose as much as I want Saracens to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Re attendances
    I dont think you can compare club and provinces. Fans in ireland have really bought into the provinces(unlike in wales),the heineken cup has been massive for irish fans,much more so than the league.No one has bought into the heineken like the irish. The attendances in the 90s were not that great but success has obviously helped feed the popularity. Ulster or munster represent an entire province and attract fans from around the whole area so have large catchment areas.
    If you notice attendances in france and england-european games get no more,sometimes even less than league games.The league really does come first.
    As for saracens,you cant just invent fans,They have moved around a few times over the years,that never helps.They are in a very multi-cultural city where to many rugby is alien and football hugely popular and they simply dont have the traditional fanbase of say a leicester or gloucester. But they have made progress-back in the 90s they were getting about 1500-2000 fans. People may not like the gimmicks to attract fans but what else are they supposed to do?
    They should have played this game at a smaller venue-i hate games with rows and rows of empty seats-no atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yeah the population in London (8 million):rolleyes: is really tiny compared to the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

OldRio wrote: »
    Yeah the population in London (8 million):rolleyes: is really tiny compared to the provinces.

Not sure if you have been to London but there are just one or two foreign people- what do people from bangladesh,pakistan,greece etc know about rugby? Its a totally alien sport. In most of the inner city state schools rugby simply isnt played. London simply isnt a rugby city-its a football one-saturated with clubs like arsenal,chelsea,tottenham,Fulham,QPR etc.Most kids want to go to the football.You cant just invent interest.
    international rugby is very popular-it attracts the casual sports fan-club rugby never will-its of a minority interest-with small(albeit loyal) fanbases.
    Similar to saracens is sale in the northwest-an area saturated not just with big football clubs but rugby league ones too-its very difficult to increase that fan base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭phog

G'wan Sarries.

Two away teams have never won the semi finals before, tomorrow's task is big enough aside from having to create history as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well its along shot, but perhaps they might be some in that 8 million who like rugby.
    There is one rugby club in this county. One. GAA football rules the roost around these parts.
    Rugby is far down the pecking order in this country in regard to sport.
    Yet we get decent attendances.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Yeah nothing to do with the tournament, Saracens just don't have that big of a fan base, London hasn't warmed to their style of rugby and there are only so many South Africans in London

Only last month, Saracens and Harlequins set the world record attendance for a club rugby game. Unless the vast majority of the 84,000 people at Wembley were Quins fans, there is something wrong with your argument.

If they can get that number for a regular Premiership game (albeit a London derby) but can only get a fraction of that for a Heineken semi-final, then it more than likely is something to do with the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It's clearly to do with the fact they could only advertise this a few weeks in advance. They got 60k for their pool game with Toulouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sarries would have been better off loading the Stoop up and playing there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

matthew8 wrote: »
    It's clearly to do with the fact they could only advertise this a few weeks in advance. They got 60k for their pool game with Toulouse.

Probably also something to do with not giving away shed loads of tickets.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Sarries would have been better off loading the Stoop up and playing there.

It wasn't up to Sarries, it's (technically) the ERC who decide.

Going to be a bruising physical battle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was expecting a lot more than that at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Anyone explain what they meant by off the chest for byrne there?

It wasn't up to Sarries, it's (technically) the ERC who decide.

Yeah, sorry didn't mean to indicate it was their choice, more that it would be better for them.

I thought the decision was up to the club or home union to nominate a suitable venue that is not there home ground bu agre enough to facilitate a decent size crowd

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

freyners wrote: »
    Anyone explain what they meant by off the chest for byrne there?

Can't knock on off the chest.

Of all the plonkers to open up the. Scoring!

13/2 looks good, thought there was a forward pass by the touch line there,

• Advertisement
Advertisement