Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2020

Options
  • 19-11-2019 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Exclusive to sky sports it was just announced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Should be made give Ken Browne a slot for some bizarre nonsense information that is somehow enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

So the Beeb not showing it then & is this just for 2020? Golf TV rights landscape is about to change massively over the next few years I gather.

Awful pity there wasn't just a dedicated subscription golf channel. I have no interest in football or tennis or cricket etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Beaulieu wrote: »
    So the Beeb not showing it then & is this just for 2020? Golf TV rights landscape is about to change massively over the next few years I gather.

pray tell

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Awful pity there wasn't just a dedicated subscription golf channel. I have no interest in football or tennis or cricket etc.

You’ll have your wish in 2022 when Discovery’s GolfTV launches with exclusive rights to the PGA Tour. Though that won’t cover the majors (or, in Ireland, the European Tour).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'd say the Masters has to be in doubt this year given the way Covid-19 is spreading:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I'd say the Masters has to be in doubt this year given the way Covid-19 is spreading:(

Have been thinking this myself for a while. Whats the average age of the 'patrons' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I reckon they will play it with no fans allowed to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,802 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I reckon they will play it with no fans allowed to attend.

I'd rather no sporting events if no crowds - kills sport for me.

Can't see it going ahead to be honest.

Would be nice in September / October too.

Some golfer will not be even able to get there.

I'd take the masters with no crowds versus no masters

• Advertisement

I'd take the masters with no crowds versus no masters

Can't see that happen.

Any restrictions that apply to crowds will happen to players.

Not to mention the reality of travel restrictions already in place.

Anyway - just me perhaps , but watching them matches with no fans actually makes it pointless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can't see that happen.

Any restrictions that apply to crowds will happen to players.

Not necessarily, there could be restrictions on large gatherings of people. Which would rule out the fans but not affect the players ability to turn up and play. Most of those players fly around in private jets so there's little risk to them playing in tournaments with no fans.

coylemj wrote: »
    Not necessarily, there could be restrictions on large gatherings of people. Which would rule out the fans but not affect the players ability to turn up and play. Most of those players fly around in private jets so there's little risk to them playing in tournaments with no fans.

Yes ok - some go around in private planes.

But is a massive field , with players at much lower levels, including amateurs. Caddies, volunteers , the organisation side, media, tv.

Can't see it happening being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Russman

Not to veer too far off topic, maybe it’s worth it’s own thread, but whatever about the Masters (which I think will definitely be postponed), might we be looking at the Ryder Cup finding its way back into odd numbered years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Russman wrote: »
    Not to veer too far off topic, maybe it’s worth it’s own thread, but whatever about the Masters (which I think will definitely be postponed), might we be looking at the Ryder Cup finding its way back into odd numbered years ?

I think so. If this hysteria continues well into Q2 I reckon a decision will be made to pull it. All really depends on what happens with upcoming events in particular the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Officially postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5bbCtDMySv8-jCobs9gDY33ZckGzGDdl

Well seeing as the masters tournament has been postponed the above is an official playlist for the masters YouTube channel of the final rounds from the late sixties till 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

1532532315_jack-nicklaus.jpg

Dunno how to embed on mobile, but day 1 played out as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mushy wrote: »

Did I hear Lowry is joint top?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Did I hear Lowry is joint top?

Yes, retaining the Claret Jug really spurred him on.

The course looks in great condition, looking forward to day 2.

Mushy wrote: »

Amazing first day by Sandy Lyle to be in second with an eagle 7 iron on the last , to just pip Couples into 3rd. Fair play to Tiger and Garcia not spitting, considering current "China Disease" recommendation. Of course, the sure winner Rory , who I put 50 euro on, after me swearing I would never put money on him again, shot an 86 after going into the water 7 times on 13 - But it was a great symbol of patriotism by Rory, to be in all green clothing with gold shamrocks , as a hidden symbol of support to his new country. This 86 is definitely a sign again, he will never win a major again, but he has won the hearts of the Irish.

Lowry - legend - after winning the par 3 - he went on the absolute tear with Bernard Langer and Ian Woosnam who had not had a drink in 8 years. They somehow ended up in Vegas and just made the first tee by private jet - but all failed to break 100. Lowry then realized, in a flashback after the round, he had put all his Open winning on black - "Poxy Red" back to selling Mars bars in Esker hills so.....Boards was right for once.

But in fairness, the show was stolen by Jack Nicklaus - who came out of retirement to play at 80 and break his age by 12 shots - and is only 2 off Lyle.

But the absolute shock is the leader - the invitee Trump , people laughed at the idea of him playing. But he insisted that there could be no fans, cameras or other players in his group for security - Unreal first round of 58 , he said , he just played "the best, bestest, most amazing round that was ever not seen at Augusta" and for security he had to mark and sign his own card. He claimed the course was too easy not as good as one of his and the greens were too slow - "terrible failure of a course".

Interesting next few days.

Some bloke in the Pub next to me said this "covid" thing is coming like the movie The Planet of the Apes, it will be like a "padademnic" and we are never going to play golf again - he then said "well for them, I hate golfers" - you hear some crazy **** in an Irish pub.

I ordered my 12th pint after his rant at golfers and dreamed of playing Augusta one day.

So my post came up, but not the attachment? Even more disappointing. I'll try again

Advertisement