Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Hobs

• 19-11-2019 1:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭

Our electric hob, which we hated anyhow, cracked yesterday so we're going to look into getting a gas hob.

Anyone do this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Our electric hob, which we hated anyhow, cracked yesterday so we're going to look into getting a gas hob.

Anyone do this before?

Yep.....

Not sure what else you need to know??

You need to get a Registered Gas installer (plumber registered to work with gas) to run a line to the site where you want to place it. So you need to consider where they might take the line from (assuming you are talking about mains gas connection)... if your boiler is close by you might run a line from that to the hob, and be able to conceal it. Other option is to take it from outside and put it in through the wall near where the hob is.

If you are talking LPG (bottled gas) I think you still need a RGI - but that will usually involve the gas bottle being on the outside of the wall near the hob and a line run through the wall.

I much prefer cooking with gas because of the instant control over the heat (when you turn down the heat on a boiling pot it stops boiling immediately, unlike with electric hob where the hob/element in contact with the pot will retain heat and youve to wait for it to cool). However, I believe electric induction hobs go some way to solving this problem too - but ive never used one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

I changed from an old electric hob to an induction hob recently. It's a simple replacement and infinitely better as it gives an almost instant reduction in heat when turned down (similar to gas). Also a lot safer than gas if you have kids in the house. My one came with a free set of pots and pans and it also has a boost function so you can boil water in no time at all.

From watching cooking shows on youtube I notice that they are appearing a lot in restaurant kitchens presumably because gas would also heat the air in the kitchen making for an uncomfortable work environment.

Advertisement