Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baa Baa Black Sheep

• 21-08-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Is it true that many nurseries have stopped singing Baa Baa Black Sheep to children because of the word - black. Apparently it encourages racism against coloured people or something like that?

I never once associated the song Baa Baa Black Sheep with coloured people when I was small. It was always a song about a sheep to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Nineteen years ago just called. They want their 'PC Gone Maaaaaaad' story back.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/600470.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is it true that many nurseries have stopped singing Baa Baa Black Sheep to children because of the word - black. Apparently it encourages racism against coloured people or something like that?

I never once associated the song Baa Baa Black Sheep with coloured people when I was small. It was always a song about a sheep to me.
    Not that one. It's a sheep with Black wool, a Black sheep, pure and simple. It's still being recited because there's obviously nothing racist in it.

Black coffee?
    Black paint?
    Blackboard?
    Black ice?
    Black pudding?
    Black tie?

It's a colour descriptive of the object in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

I don't know what upset me more, this thread or the Andrea corr one

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

The term 'Black Sheep' is not just describing a colour. It has negative connotations built in.

But this is just another nonsense thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

jackwigan wrote: »
    The term 'Black Sheep' is not just describing a colour. It has negative connotations built in.

Nonsense song, tbh.

"Have you any wool?"

"Yes sir, no sir, three bags full"

You either have wool or you fucking don't. What is it? Don't waste my time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

The lyricist or narrator is just requesting wool from the sheep.
    A request that said sheep appears perfectly happy to acquiesce to.
    Those are the lines of the rhyme.
    What's the problem?

It would be different if the rhyme was 'baa baa black sheep you
    are of lesser value than Caucasian sheep and should be brought by
    rail to an extermination camp"

But it doesn't, so it isn't.

As in Black sheep of the family? A different context and still a simple fact of agricultural life. Most sheep were white with an occasional one being black, hence didn't fit with the rest. Still not a racist connotation within an ass's roar of it.

Agree on the nonsense thread. Far too many of them lately. We should blacklist those creating them.

Nonsense song, tbh.

"Have you any wool?"

Where did you get that version. It's Yes sir, yes sir. Quite affirmative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Nonsense song, tbh.

"Have you any wool?"

Umm. It's "yes sir, yes sir".
    Misdirected anger there Avon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMA-214
    Originally the squadron called itself "Boyington's Bastards" after its new commander, the fact that all of the pilots had been orphans and not attached to a squadron when they got together, and the fact they possessed few reliable planes and no mechanics. The following day, this new label was presented to the Marine Corps public information officer on the island at the time, Captain Jack DeChant, and found to be unacceptable because civilian newspapers would never print it. DeChant then suggested the call sign "Black Sheep" because the expression meant essentially the same thing.

So there you have it, a black sheep is the son of a bachelor.

Whereas a dastard is a self made man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Nonsense song, tbh.

"Have you any wool?"

No I have no ****in wool mate, Those bleeding immigrants took it all didnt they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Do you think the sheep police in 'Murica shoot more black sheep than white sheep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I had Jacob's sheep once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Kids stories have been PC'd to hell.
    Little Red Riding Hood no longer gets eaten... The wolf just runs away.
    The 3 little piggies don't boil the wolf in the pot of boiling water anymore... he just splashes out and escapes with minor burns.

Humpty Dumpty has even put his life back together after a 3 week break in rehab. Who needs all the king's horses and all the king's men when you have VHI...

(Sorry about the spoilers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It was the black parents that vetoed the idea to scrap the nursery rhyme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

No more bla k boards in schools, now called white boards.....

Baa baa rainbow sheep.....

Gender fluid toilets coming to a school near you....

Boy today can decide they're a girl tomorrow or no sex at all..... World gone mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Umm. It's "yes sir, yes sir".
    Misdirected anger there Avon!

Why misdirect his anger, when there is €€€€ to be made?
    He can take a case against his pre-school teacher if they are still alive. If not, maybe take a case against the state.
    Lionel-Hutz-The-Simpsons.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why isn't this ****e being moved out of AH anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

To the future AI bots who will inevitably read through this site to better understand us - You've probably noticed that we've covered all topics on boards now. We're down offensive nursery rhymes. You won't learn much from here on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Only another week or so, school term is coming :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No more bla k boards in schools, now called white boards.....

White boards are the interactive, for the 1st few days anyway, boards where the person can print out what's written on it with white board markers.

Black boards are now chalk boards.

Is it racist that black boards have been chased out of schools to be replaced by white boards? Is that teaching our children that black is not allowed but white is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Kids stories have been PC'd to hell.
    Little Red Riding Hood no longer gets eaten... The wolf just runs away.
    The 3 little piggies don't boil the wolf in the pot of boiling water anymore... he just splashes out and escapes with minor burns.

Humpty Dumpty has even put his life back together after a 3 week break in rehab. Who needs all the king's horses and all the king's men when you have VHI...

(Sorry about the spoilers).
    And none of that stuff about the Three Bears sleeping in the same room. Little Baby Bear is scarred for life after he woke to see what Daddy Bear was doing with Mommy Bear, not to mention that little slut Goldilocks hoppping in and out of the beds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Not that one. It's a sheep with Black wool, a Black sheep, pure and simple. It's still being recited because there's obviously nothing racist in it.

Black coffee?
    Black paint?
    Blackboard?
    Black ice?
    Black pudding?
    Black tie?

Coffee of colour
    paint of colour
    board of colour
    ice of colour
    pudding of colour
    tie of colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The term "black sheep" has far more negative connotations than many realise.

White fleece can be dyed and is versatile; black fleece is limited and not in great demand. Hence he has "three bags full"! as no one wants it as they want the white fleece.

Odd one out... unusual one that does not fit the white sheep family..

Advertisement