Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Student Bank Account

Options
  • 21-08-2019 9:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

I'm technically a student until the end of this month. Is there any way I can set up a new student bank account during this time? I've a feeling the student account that I have isn't due to expire for the foreseeable future, which is good. The thing with me is that I've just got my first proper job, so I'm wondering how long it will take them to see that healthy sums of money coming in monthly!? And if this will be the case when/if I succeed in setting up another student bank account, is there any point.

I remember during the final year of my undergraduate degree, for some reason I ended up switching to a different AIB branch. When doing so the banker who knew I was nearly finished college, said he'd be kind and set up a new student account (the one I was on was due to expire). I think they last four years or something, so I thought that was fantastic. Was I just incredibly lucky, or has anybody heard of such a thing? That was in 2016, so I don't know how long more that means it's going to last.

I've done a one year MSc during 2017/18 and seeing as I had to repeat one module of that, I am still technically a student. The thing is I didn't get a new student card during that repeat year, so the student card I have reads 17/18. I'd need to print out a cert of attendance to prove that I'm a student. The odd time I do go into the bank they're probably aware of my age, so I normally get the question of "you are a student though?"

Is there a way I could set up a new student account? Is it the case that being a student is enough? or will I be subject to scrutiny?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What's the difference between a student account?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

kneemos wrote: »
    no charges

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

kneemos wrote: »
    No fees and maybe a better credit card rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

If your salary is paid into a Permanent TSB account, there won't be any fees. There are also cashback schemes that might balance out the fees on your account. EBS and N26 current accounts have no fees. A student account isn't the only option.

jrmb wrote: »
    If your salary is paid into a Permanent TSB account, there won't be any fees. There are also cashback schemes that might balance out the fees on your account. EBS and N26 current accounts have no fees. A student account isn't the only option.
    That's all double dutch to me. I find it hard to believe that you get away with the bank's services without paying.

Maybe it might suit if you're a big spender in others ways and therefore use credit card services, or something like that. But I don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It was a long time ago but when I started my first job after college, the bank left my account with the student benefits for a couple of years as a kind of customer retention incentive, i think it’s quite common for them to do that.

Maybe just ask them what your options are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That's all double dutch to me. I find it hard to believe that you get away with the bank's services without paying.

Maybe it might suit if you're a big spender in others ways and therefore use credit card services, or something like that. But I don't!

Better to ask ln the banking forum.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Maybe just ask them what your options are.
    That could be stupid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteMoved from After Hours to here please follow local guidelines!

Advertisement