Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rise of Vegetarian/Veganism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Why do you feel its healthier? Would the same meals just with some grilled chicken not be just as healthy, if not more so? I’m genuinely curious.

I actually had the opposite experience of archer - there isn't really anything that provides you with the protein-to-calorie ratio that is as easy to prepare as chicken breasts; I've probably gained (a little) weight since becoming vegetarian. No regrets about it though, and this will probably be offset when I get up to speed with some additional vegetable protein sources, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well you can't just sit around eating onion rings and chips all day and not get fat. You're clearly eating only healthy vegetarian stuff.

Correct, I only very rarely eat any junk type foods and have no liking for sugary drinks.
    But in my case giving up meats was the key...the results quite surprised me to be honest

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

auspicious wrote: »
    Out of interest Necro, what products were they basically?

General supermarket items, fresh fruit and vegetables not sourced from other countries. The stuff in Aldi is absolute kack and we stopped shopping there a while back as it goes off after a few days.

I try and lean away from processed meats as they're the worst of them all but at the same time they're also a cheaper option.

Our budget wouldn't be massive though so sometimes needs must and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’m a complete mucksavage who considers bacon and cabbage to be the finest meal humanity has ever come up with. Even I realise we need to eat less meat. You can do great things with plenty of salt, butter, herbs, and spices. I couldn’t become a vegan though - cheese is so ridiculously tasty that I wouldn’t want to live in a world where it doesn’t exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I spent the day in my garden planting veggies.
    I used horse manure (a by product of an animal) as fertilizer...does that make me evil.

I'll also have chickens in a few weeks.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Cows always look very peaceful in videos and you only ever hear about the bad things that happen to them, but when the cameras are off they're vicious towards us. It's pure anti-omnivorism.

I overheard a Cow saying "Moooower're going to drive you into the sea", as I walked past a field today.

Yet we're somehow the bad guys for imprisoning and killing them in self defense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Majority of Adli veg is from Spain and Netherlands. I try to avoid them and look for Irish. Irish tomatoes for example are much tastier than elsewhere.
    Frozen veg is good I find, cheap and seasoned well it's grand. I'm a big gravy lover and probably have it 4 or 5 times a week with the veg.
    Lentils are something I never used to eat but now are a staple part of my diet. Cheap, and cooked with some spices they go with almost anything and are very healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lentils and pulses cost nothing and lots of calories and protein in there. There are pockets of people living around the world where people live longer than the rest of us and the thing they have in common is diets featuring a lot of pulses. Sardinia, parts of Japan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I'll also have chickens in a few weeks.:D

Congratulations!

It's tough going but people always say it is the most rewarding part of their lives.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lentils and pulses cost nothing and lots of calories and protein in there. There are pockets of people living around the world where people live longer than the rest of us and the thing they have in common is diets featuring a lot of pulses. Sardinia, parts of Japan etc.

Boring though. I like variety in my diet tbh. We change our meals up every week otherwise it would drive me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd rather die younger than eat lentils!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Necro wrote: »
    General supermarket items, fresh fruit and vegetables not sourced from other countries. The stuff in Aldi is absolute kack and we stopped shopping there a while back as it goes off after a few days.

One thing that really helps is more frequent grocery shopping. We are transitioning to this American style of weekly or fortnightly shop which promotes processed or frozen foods because fresh food doesn't last that long. For fruit and veg you'd be better off shopping frequently and using it up quickly. Same as with butcher meat really, it wouldn't last a few days it only does when it's processed and sealed in a packet.

I’m a complete mucksavage who considers bacon and cabbage to be the finest meal humanity has ever come up with. Even I realise we need to eat less meat. You can do great things with plenty of salt, butter, herbs, and spices. I couldn’t become a vegan though - cheese is so ridiculously tasty that I wouldn’t want to live in a world where it doesn’t exist.

Mate of mine is vegan and lived in France for years and cheese as he put it was the hardest thing to give up, my missus is vegan also and she said the same thing.

Tesco are doing a range of vegan cheeses now and they taste like actual dairy based cheese from any reports I've heard, both from them and our other friends who aren't vegetarian/vegan. Can't personally vouch for them as I don't like cheese anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

What's wrong with not wanting to eat animals? I don't get why it annoys people so much. I don't eat much red meat or dairy at all, don't miss it or need it.
    I haven't eaten meat or dairy for 26 years now. It was very tough at the start, I was lifting a lot of weights as a young skinny lad, and could never get enough protein.
    The jury is out on whether Quorn and such are without side effects but that is what I've eaten for years.
    Just like the person quoted, I've always had people attacking my position. I love meat, just like I love sex, but it's not morally correct (in my view) to jump on every young one passing and, in s similar vein, it's not morally correct to take the life of a fellow sentient being got pleasure/meat-lust.
    Some will say it's a necessary part of a diet. It's not. Until s year or two ago, I could pump out more Hindu push-ups and chin-ups /pullups than most 40+ year olds.
    Meat tastes great. But even apart from the self-love of stuffing your guts with flesh at the expense of another precious life, it's now simply a case of trying to disengage from the disharmonious nature of it's route to market. It's all that's wrong with this dirty ****ing consumerist world.
    Hey look, if you're into masturbating endlessly, self-indulgent spending, hedonistic living and individualistic ideology, then stuff your guts. It really doesn't matter. Every wo/man for themselves. If you want to change the world, change yourself. Be you Hitler, Gandhi, Larry Good man or the Op.

In fairness my kids are much more health conscious than myself - or at least as much as we can push them towards.

They love snacks of raisins, fruit etc. Give them the odd treat obviously but they generally eat very healthily.

I've already accepted I'm a lost cause in terms of eating healthily but hopefully they won't follow me down the same path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I haven't eaten meat or dairy for 26 years now. It was very tough at the start, I was lifting a lot of weights as a young skinny lad, and could never get enough protein.
    The jury is out on whether Quorn and such are without side effects but that is what I've eaten for years.
    Just like the person quoted, I've always had people attacking my position. I love meat, just like I love sex, but it's not morally correct (in my view) to jump on every young one passing and, in s similar vein, it's not morally correct to take the life of a fellow sentient being got pleasure/meat-lust.
    Some will say it's a necessary part of a diet. It's not. Until s year or two ago, I could pump out more Hindu push-ups and chin-ups /pullups than most 40+ year olds.
    Meat tastes great. But even apart from the self-love of stuffing your guts with flesh at the expense of another precious life, it's now simply a case of trying to disengage from the disharmonious nature of it's route to market. It's all that's wrong with this dirty ****ing consumerist world.
    Hey look, if you're into masturbating endlessly, self-indulgent spending, hedonistic living and individualistic ideology, then stuff your guts. It really doesn't matter. Every wo/man for themselves. If you want to change the world, change yourself. Be you Hitler, Gandhi, Larry Good man or the Op.

Not sure about the endless masturbation and jumping on every young wan passing, i’m only wondering why veganism is becoming more popular..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Lentils are amazing. You just gotta know how to cook em. Fenugreek is a really tasty curry spice. First an onion or two diced and garlic and chillies base, then cumin seeds and ginger, tomato paste, veg. cube, tomatoes and other veg., throw in lentils and curry spices and Bob's your uncle.
    The spices take weeks to run out.
    Plenty of recipes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We must go vegan to save the world!

Share this message with five other people or else Greta Thunberg will appear in your room tonight and kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Mate of mine is vegan and lived in France for years and cheese as he put it was the hardest thing to give up, my missus is vegan also and she said the same thing.

Tesco are doing a range of vegan cheeses now and they taste like actual dairy based cheese from any reports I've heard, both from them and our other friends who aren't vegetarian/vegan. Can't personally vouch for them as I don't like cheese anyway.

I’ve tried the vegan cheese. Tastes nothing like cheese. Like it’s not unpleasant, but calling it cheese is a real stretch of the imagination. And it was loaded with strange ingredients. I’m not sure that buying hugely processed vegan ‘cheese’ is much better for the animal or the environment than eating a lovely local cheese from Ireland. Not the mass produced stuff, but even that lovely buffalo mozzarella from Cork only costs 3 quid in aldi. Which is far cheaper than meat.

It's amusing to read the farmers on the farming forum complaining about the rise in vegetarians, youd think they were dependent on every human alive eating 3 steaks a day when in reality blaming the few vegetarians for their problems is like blaming a turf fire in connemara on global warming

In truth we would probably all be a lot healthier if we cut down the amount of meat and ate more veg and fruit

Farming a small farm here so I'm all for more money for meat but I don't see a healthy future in the mass production of animals for the slaughter houses

You'll probably find the same posters in AH going on about social welfare etc, also get some funny stuff sometimes like how they would accept a gay in their locality before they would accept a vegan.

Same as there are plenty of annoying vegans online and some true assholes looking down anyone who isn't vegan, or vegans who don't live up to their standards.

Both sides have their share of idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've yet to encounter any of these annoying vegans. Are there any posting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Even people kill animals when they are eating vegtables. Insects die from the pesticides. Then birds die from lack of insects and then then the birds predators will die from lack of birds. Earthworms sometimes die when carrots are being pulled from the ground 😂
    a glass of water is a fishes house dont ever forget that.

I have actually tried to cut down on meat myself. Im not a vegetarian but I respect people who are. I think veganism is a step to far tho.

I’ve tried the vegan cheese. Tastes nothing like cheese. Like it’s not unpleasant, but calling it cheese is a real stretch of the imagination. And it was loaded with strange ingredients. I’m not sure that buying hugely processed vegan ‘cheese’ is much better for the animal or the environment than eating a lovely local cheese from Ireland. Not the mass produced stuff, but even that lovely buffalo mozzarella from Cork only costs 3 quid in aldi. Which is far cheaper than meat.

The missus would agree with you on the taste of most vegan cheeses, but not the Tesco own brand ones.

As being better for the animal, well they would be as their vegan. The fact they are processed foods yeah can understand that aspect, but for her they are a once in a while treat.

Environmental issues again agree with you, but plenty of threads on here discussing both sides of the affects of farming I see it as a two way street and it's about levels of consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Not sure about the endless masturbation and jumping on every young wan passing, i’m only wondering why veganism is becoming more popular..

That was an odd segway alright.

I've yet to encounter any of these annoying vegans. Are there any posting here?

Most on here seem OK, I'll give you an example of what I mean.

My missus is vegan for over 30 years and is a vet nurse.
    When she announced on Facebook that she was marrying me, she was given a load of abuse in some groups from a small number of people in the U.S. who she helped with medical advice for their animals because I'm not vegan, so yeah they do exist, as for on here again most seem OK from what I've seen.
    By the way if you think vet bills are high here you should see them in the U.S. but that's the same with all branches of medicine over there.

On the flip side in the last practice she worked in one particular farmer who owed the practice quite a substantial amount told the owner that he wouldn't go there anymore as long as they were employing "one of those yokes" as he described her. He was told that the final demand for payment was in the post and he could go **** right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Calories are calories, and we have to get them from something else that was alive.
    The discrimination against plant based life, and bias in favour of the animal based one and not eating it, is blatantly unfair. Sure, grow more plants to eat them. What did they ever do to you to deserve that, vegans and veggies?
    Odd also that it seems to be driven by young snowflakes, who usually flake out at the slightest him of discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

It's mostly the socially retarded and those on the lower end of the IQ scale that slag off veggies and vegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Pkiernan wrote: »
    It's mostly the socially retarded and those on the lower end of the IQ scale that slag off veggies and vegans.

... And guff like that is why people don't like vegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its our friends the new age hippies that have started this vegan craze...come down here to co clare there's veggie cafe's popping up all over the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

fryup wrote: »
    its our friends the new age hippies that have started this vegan craze...come down here to co clare there's veggie cafe's popping up all over the shop

did you try any of them

Advertisement