Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Persona 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Although there are few games I anticipate more than Persona 5, announcements of possible announcements and two month long countdown clocks are from the deepest, darkest recesses of marketing hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hope it's current gen not new gen or handheld as I don't plan on owning them for a while!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope it's current gen not new gen or handheld as I don't plan on owning them for a while!

I'd put money on it being a 3DS release. The fact that Shin Megami Tensei IV was a 3DS release really says a lot about the japanese market.

I'd much prefer it handheld, RPGs work so much better that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Can't wait, it's been too long since Persona 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SmurfX wrote: »
    Can't wait, it's been too long since Persona 4.

We have Soul Hackers and SMTIV on the way. No need for withdrawal symptoms :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Shuhei Yoshida retweeted atlus posting of the teaser site and said i retweeted cause i am a persona fan , not that i know anything lol :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hope to hell it's not handheld only, frankly. 3DS couldn't do a Persona world justice. Persona is a series I like to gorge on on the big screen after a long day's work. That and it would be a damn shame to waste the team's HD experience from Catherine.

I'd strongly bet against a next gen release, but a PS3 release would make a lot of sense. Persona 4 came along after the PS3 had launched, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd put money on it being a 3DS release. The fact that Shin Megami Tensei IV was a 3DS release really says a lot about the japanese market.

I'd much prefer it handheld, RPGs work so much better that way.

With them with Sega they'll probably do 3DS & Vita. They'd be stupid to skip the 3DS sales again.

I could not agree more

Persona world is most important and it be a real shame just to have a drawing background and you can only scroll to a city map location to location

I want to embrass its world

I'd strongly bet against a next gen release, but a PS3 release would make a lot of sense. Persona 4 came along after the PS3 had launched, after all.

It doesn't make a lot of sense in reality though. PS3 is a dead duck in Japan and only really has an otaku fanbase. Persona is huge now and Atlus will be going for the system with the largest install base and that's the 3DS. As I said SMTIV and Soul Hackers on the 3DS tells you all you need to know about the japanese market.

• Advertisement

It doesn't make a lot of sense in reality though. PS3 is a dead duck in Japan and only really has an otaku fanbase. Persona is huge now and Atlus will be going for the system with the largest install base and that's the 3DS. As I said SMTIV and Soul Hackers on the 3DS tells you all you need to know about the japanese market.

Well the game has been in development for several years, well before the 3DS became as popular as it is now, so Id be highly surprised if 5 hasn't been a HD production from the outset. And Catherine was no doubt a trial run for the team. SMTIV and Soul Hackers are much more niche games that could barely justify a big budget console release, so their handheld release made sense. Persona can easily justify a proper console release, and the fans will still happily buy it in huge numbers. Perhaps simultaneous PS3 and Vita versions, given the history of the series. And the PS3 has a more than solid install base in Japan to support a big name like Persona.

The game will be the lesser if is 3DS only, point blank, so I for one will be deeply disappointed if they go down that route, even if I will still play the **** out of it. HD Persona has been a long time going, and it'd be a damn shame if they reigned in on that long teased proposition.

You're really over estimating the PS3 install base in Japan. There's a reason that only NIS and Gust release games on the machine, it's a very niche market occupied by the otaku so only those otaku pandering games get released on it At the moment the 3DS is the only real viable market for games in Japan and Atlus make their games for the japanese market, the worldwide release is secondary.

You're downplaying the importance of SMTIV, it was a pretty big release in Japan. Persona is massive in Japan at the moment and it just does not make sense for them to do something silly like release it on a niche platform like the PS3 instead of maximising their market by releasing on 3DS. I might be wrong but don't get your hopes up for a HD Persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I only really care if this comes out on Vita. I bought it when it was originally released on PS2 but at that stage my PS2 had begun to gather dust as the PS3 began to get rolling properly in 08/09, so it only really got played every now and again. Updating it and bringing it to the Vita rejuvenated the game for me and I sunk endless, countless hours into it. Had to start again recently as I discovered my original save was on a memory card I'd left at my Dad's place and I still love it. I even started watching the Anime version recently which isn't actually that bad at all.

My only worry, and it's a mild one, is that I fear my PS4 would be put away in a drawer until I'd finished 5.

You're really over estimating the PS3 install base in Japan. There's a reason that only NIS and Gust release games on the machine, it's a very niche market occupied by the otaku so only those otaku pandering games get released on it At the moment the 3DS is the only real viable market for games in Japan and Atlus make their games for the japanese market, the worldwide release is secondary.

You're downplaying the importance of SMTIV, it was a pretty big release in Japan. Persona is massive in Japan at the moment and it just does not make sense for them to do something silly like release it on a niche platform like the PS3 instead of maximising their market by releasing on 3DS. I might be wrong but don't get your hopes up for a HD Persona.

You're significantly exaggerating most of these statements. SMTIV sold less than 200,000 units in its first week: not a bad performance at all for a hardcore dungeon crawler, but pales in comparison to, say, the 350,000 Yakuza 5s sold in opening weekend, or the almost 900,000 sales of Resi 6 last year. The latter illustrates the PS3 is far more than a niche market and can easily support games that have broken out of the otaku market. And I don't think we'd see Persona 5 manage quite that level of sales, even on 3DS.

All those sales figures aside, my main argument remains that the 3DS, in artistic terms, would be a miserly home for the game. With its vibrant soundtrack, warm technicolour aesthetics and huge amount of content, a heavily compressed handheld version would seem like such a dreadful, dreadful waste, like if Christopher Nolan announced his next film was an iOS only release. Sure, a Vita version is a much easier, less compromised downgrade from the PS3: release that version for those many people who have played the games on PSP and Vita. But to me it would be a crazy artistic decision to limit the game to the lowest specced devices out there.

The 3DS can be a pretty capable machine in the right hands and Atlus are very adept at making gorgeous looking game on low specced hardware and very limited budgets. Sure Persona 3/4 and Catherine really maximise their budgets by only having a handful of areas with randomly generated dungeons. Also have you seen SMTIV? It looks gorgeous.

I'm not significantly exaggerating those figures, 200,000 units sold is huge for Atlus and while Yakuza does sell very well it's the exception rather than the rule on the PS3, you can't compare other games sales to it. As for the significance of SMTIV being on the 3DS really the sales are only a small part of that. Strange Journey was meant to be SMTIV but wasn't because Atlus wasn't sure about putting an entry in their flagship series on a handheld that was low powered compared to the platform the previous game came out on. SMTIV appearing on 3DS goes a long way to showing how much Atlus's attitude has changed regarding handhelds.

We might all want a HD version of Atlus's games but the market just doesn't support that now. Atlus with Persona 5 have a very real chance of beating FF and Dragon Quest with both games last entries struggling. I think it would be very stupid of Atlus to limit their market releasing on PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

I would imagine the same team choosing the PS3/360 as their platform of choice for Catherine would factor into the equation for the reuse of resources.

Think they're more likely to stick with their successful route of a PS home console release with a portable improved version in a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I'd be deeply disappointed with a 3DS release. SMTIII looked gorgeous on PS2 but I felt from looking at some SMTIV footage that a lot was lost taking the series to handhelds. And the PS2 is now two generations old.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

I'd go with the thinking that P5 would be PS3/Vita as well especially given the success of P4 Golden and that most of the Persona series has been released on Playstation and ported to PSP/Vita also.

I wouldn't complain if it was on the 3DS as it is a great system as well but I don't see Atlus throwing all their games on the one console.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 deink

I won't complain if Sega release it for 3DS as long as it comes out on PS3 first. ;) But all of the previous Persona titles were originally for console so why would they?

Tomorrow the day guys , will it be persona 5, persona 4-2 or persona 4 arena-2

Atlus have released few teaser videos and few hints are about on the net

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/persona-live-stream-teases-persona-5-or-more-persona-4-persona-insanity-ensues-22759

• Advertisement

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/persona-q-shadow-of-the-labyrinth-for-nintendo-3ds-announced-by-atlus-in-japan-22785

Atlus have just announced the new persona game is called persona shadow of the labyrinth that will feature both p3 and p4 characters in a chibi ese style for the nintendo 3ds

so retro was right all along

going to be alot of angry ps fans out there

release date is of June 5th, 2014 for japan so I expect 2016 release for europe :(

Quite disappointing, seems more like a spin-off than the next Persona proper. As much as I like the characters from the previous games, they should really be going down completely new avenues: that's what made 3 and 4 so unique. They're just bleeding stones dry at this point.

Persona dancing game as well which looks very like the Project Diva games so I'd say Sega is handling that.

While any persona news is good news I'd have preferred a new Persona with a new cast than a spin off.

Uh oh P5 announcement seems to be incoming.

Persona 5 for PS3 Winter 2014 in Japan. No other details.

It's going to be a very late PS3 game if it comes here.

Well the last game was almost two years after the ps3 so fairly par for the course!

Good to hear it's not just the spin offs, and would rather they take the time to do it properly. And huzzah for HD :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

But when will they port it to a handheld, 2019?

Quite surprised by it being on PS3 considering Atlus's focus on handheld now but sure I'll take it.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    But when will they port it to a handheld, 2019?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a port to Vita in a few years time... if Vita isn't dead. As gorgeous as SMTIV is I doubt it would do justice to a port of a PS3 game or if it's even possible.

• Advertisement

Some other news I found:

Persona Q will be using the Etrian Odyssey engine as the base but will be heavily modified. I'm excited by that because I love Etrian Odyssey and they did the same with Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey which turned out to be superb.

They are working on a PS3 version of P4 Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold.

There'll be more content to the dancing game, possibly a story mode like P4 Arena has.

Advertisement