Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esker Hills or Tullamore?

Options
  • 15-11-2019 9:13pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, i'm moving to Tullamore soon, and was looking for info on either of these clubs. Anyone a member of either course? I know we had the boards event in Esker last year, but i missed out unfortunately.

Both will be within a 10 minute drive, so thats not an issue. Would either course be considered better? Can't really tell much about Esker as their site isn't great and there are very few videos about it. Got a flyover for Tullamore, and that looks quite nice. Membership in for Tullamore is on their site, and the prices are pretty good, but Esker doesn't have anything up at the moment. I emailed them a few days ago, but no response so far.

I'm currently in the Curragh and enjoy it, but i'm not driving an hour each way to play there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

I emailed Tullamore last week about joining and I'm still waiting on a response - things like this wreck my head. To the point that I now have no notion of joining them. If I can't get membership info then what will it be like when I need to find out anything else?

Played Esker and it's a fabulous course. Very hilly in places but nothing overly strenuous.

A bonus to Tullamore is the reciprocal courses you can play - Enniscrone, Killeen and one other I can't think of!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

My ex girlfriend was from tullamore (still is I suppose) so I played both of those courses loads of times. For me tullamore would definitely be my choice, but you can't go wrong with either. Two really fine courses.

But sure play them both and see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Not a member of either, but I rate both courses highly. As a privately owned course, Esker Hills is very green fee focussed. There’s probably a bigger membership in Tullamore so if you want to get to know people in the locality and play in competitions, it’d be the option to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jacknes

This is a very tough question. Almost like asking is your favourite major the Masters or the Open.
    I'm from the area but a member in Dublin now. Was a member in Eskers before Dublin, so possibly slightly biased.
    If I was offered one last ever round of golf in either I would pick Eskers everytime. On a sunny summers evening or a crisp winter morning it's one of the nicest places you can be. Real array of quality holes. It's a very unique course and a real challenge. However, it is difficult and tough to face in a competition every weekend but will certainly make you a better golfer. There is also a great vibe around the clubhouse, very friendly staff and decent food.
    Tullamore is a very high quality, traditional parkland course. It's brilliantly maintained, decent layout (great mature tree lined fairways) and a good challenge. It would certainly be an easier walk and easier to score every weekend. I don't have a huge experience of the clubhouse or vibe but food is good and staff friendly.

Not as good practice facilities in Eskers however it very easy get out and practice on the course in the evenings.

Not sure if the above helps. Both great courses!
    Eskers all day for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Which is the better course? Esker probably pips it.
    Which would you like to play week in week out, Tullamore.
    I’ve played both countless times and actually plan to join Tullamore soon, the time sheet is very tight at weekend, always full

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

davegilly wrote: »
    I emailed Tullamore last week about joining and I'm still waiting on a response - things like this wreck my head. To the point that I now have no notion of joining them. If I can't get membership info then what will it be like when I need to find out anything else?

Played Esker and it's a fabulous course. Very hilly in places but nothing overly strenuous.

A bonus to Tullamore is the reciprocal courses you can play - Enniscrone, Killeen and one other I can't think of!

Strandhill not Enniscrone, third course is Oughterard

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

slave1 wrote: »
    I’ve played both countless times and actually plan to join Tullamore soon, the time sheet is very tight at weekend, always full

..I'm a member and you will always get out. Slots become free 1 or 2 days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Which would you like to play week in week out, Tullamore.

That's the acid test. Esker is a fine course..once its dry and not windy. Tullamore is playable throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If I had a choice of the two it would be tullamore. Course is manicured all year round. Greens are always superb. Brilliant variety of holes.

Esker is a great course too which I also love, but I much prefer tullamore. I dont think I'd want to play esker week in week out. I'd definitely play tullamore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Beaulieu wrote: »
    ..I'm a member and you will always get out. Slots become free 1 or 2 days out.

I didn't know you were a member of Tullamore, so am I!!

OP, not being biased but i'd pick Tullamore to join but play Esker Hills as often as you could. The Molloys are doing a fantastic job there and are always very welcoming but i just find it too tough to play every week.

My offer still stands if you want to play both over a few satudays

• Advertisement

Oh, the reciprocal rights for Tullamore are very restrictive, no open days, no society times, no member times and you have to pay on a Sunday afternoon, don't think you can wander down to Strandhill at the weekend for a free round, won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

An unbiased opinion from someone who lives in Offaly. Played both courses a few times. For me it's Tullamore. Like others have said it is beautifully maintained. Esker is a great course but it's a bit of a slog, they don't have hills in the name for nothing. I have always felt exhausted after 18 there.

I would join Tullamore myself if I was just a bit closer. I'm in New Forest which is 15 mins away, Tullamore is 30.

Actually Kiith you should consider New Forest also, I was a member there and it's a super course, vast.
    Only thing is it's not a course you can get your handicap down on though, comp tees are very tough, huge amount of reduction only comps when I was a member there so I just left e.g. you could shoot 38 in Tullamore and play to same level in New Forest and shoot 31

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Actually Kiith you should consider New Forest also, I was a member there and it's a super course, vast.
    Only thing is it's not a course you can get your handicap down on though, comp tees are very tough, huge amount of reduction only comps when I was a member there so I just left e.g. you could shoot 38 in Tullamore and play to same level in New Forest and shoot 31

That'll surely be negated with the new handicap system next year. If new forest really is that tough, it'll be given a tougher slope rating and everything will square itself up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd be surprised if the slope ratings will be that accurate.

Loved new forest too though. I'd still pip for tullamore, but have it ahead of esker hills. But as I say, you're looking at three lovely courses. There's no wrong option.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BrandNewMedium

I wouldn’t limit yourself to either course in the area as others have said, you’ve got a good selection within easy reach between New Forest, Tullamore, Eskers, Moate and you could look at Mullingar, Mount Temple or even Birr if you wished to really expand the search.

I’d concur with some of the sentiments here, Eskers is awesome and has a great mix of holes which are generally in great shape but it is a physically tiring round of golf if you walk. The practice facilities are absent which could be a problem for you. Very close knit community feeling in the place and you generally get a great welcome.

Tullamore has a really good set of practice facilities, has the benefit of being a classically designed parkland so the holes flow beautifully and the conditions are generally excellent, it’s also relatively flat. Due to its more long established nature the membership tends to be closer to the old school mentality so expect it to feel a bit more establishment, if you know what I mean, not necessarily a negative.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Tullamore seems to be the general consensus with a few friends as well (though they also recommended i play in Esker). It'll only be a 5 minute drive from the house, so that'll be amazing, especially once it starts getting lighter in the evenings.
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    My offer still stands if you want to play both over a few satudays
    Hey, that'd be great. We move in Monday week, so maybe a Saturday after that? It's also fine if it's the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭Glebee

Kiith wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. Tullamore seems to be the general consensus with a few friends as well (though they also recommended i play in Esker). It'll only be a 5 minute drive from the house, so that'll be amazing, especially once it starts getting lighter in the evenings.

Hey, that'd be great. We move in Monday week, so maybe a Saturday after that? It's also fine if it's the new year.

Im a member over in Birr lads, so if ye feel like a change of scenery over December drop me a message.:D

Advertisement