Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to purchase appliances VAT free for export?

Options
  • 16-06-2019 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if any of the big companies (Harvey Norman, Currys) or other companies will sell appliances VAT free? I've sold my house and will be shipping stuff to Australia later in the year. I'm building in Australia and some of the brands of appliances that I want are a lot cheaper in Ireland than they are in Australia and i will have room in my crate to ship to include them. As they are for export out of the EU I was hoping I could get them VAT free. I'm based in the mid-west but happy to order from anywhere if they'll deliver.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you are still based here then a supplier will not be permitted to zero rate them. A supplier can zero rate them when they arrange the transport out of the EU or if the purchaser is already based outside the EU and provides evidence of the transportation.

Would they be certified for use in Australia? If you haven’t used them here you might be required to pay import duty or GST in Australia anyway (unlike stuff you’ve already used).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mel.b wrote:
    Does anyone know if any of the big companies (Harvey Norman, Currys) or other companies will sell appliances VAT free? I've sold my house and will be shipping stuff to Australia later in the year. I'm building in Australia and some of the brands of appliances that I want are a lot cheaper in Ireland than they are in Australia and i will have room in my crate to ship to include them. As they are for export out of the EU I was hoping I could get them VAT free. I'm based in the mid-west but happy to order from anywhere if they'll deliver.

You are getting things mixed up here. If you are a vat registered business in the EU you can buy anything vat free from another EU country. This cuts out the cumbersome job of claiming vat back from another country. It's illegal for a shop not to charge you vat. Even worse news is that you might be hit with Australian vat & excise duty.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd also worry that any warranty would be void outside Europe, should one of them malfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Marcusm wrote: »
    If you are still based here then a supplier will not be permitted to zero rate them. A supplier can zero rate them when they arrange the transport out of the EU or if the purchaser is already based outside the EU and provides evidence of the transportation.

Would they be certified for use in Australia? If you haven’t used them here you might be required to pay import duty or GST in Australia anyway (unlike stuff you’ve already used).

I am no longer based in Ireland & haven’t been for over 12months now. I am coming back for a week to pack up my house and ship things back.

Yes appliances would be certified for use in Australia, all that is needed is for plugs to be changed over. I’m aware that import & gst would be due, however the savings are still significant, especially as i am already paying for a container and if i can get them vat free then that will pay for the gst & imoort duties in Australia.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You are getting things mixed up here. If you are a vat registered business in the EU you can buy anything vat free from another EU country. This cuts out the cumbersome job of claiming vat back from another country. It's illegal for a shop not to charge you vat. Even worse news is that you might be hit with Australian vat & excise duty.

There is a VAT back scheme that applies to non eu residents when they purchase things here, at the airport you can claim back the vat (and some companies will deduct it at point of sale and give you the form to submit to customs at the airport). It doesn’t look like large appliances fall into this as you are meant to pack the things into your luggage.

As mentioned if i can get them vat free this will cover the australian taxes. Even if i can’t, the appliances a still cheaper in ireland. There are a couple of companies that do it from the Uk but that would mean having to pay for the shipping, whereas i’ll have a container they can already go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mel.b wrote:
    There is a VAT back scheme that applies to non eu residents when they purchase things here, at the airport you can claim back the vat (and some companies will deduct it at point of sale and give you the form to submit to customs at the airport). It doesn’t look like large appliances fall into this as you are meant to pack the things into your luggage.

The vat back scheme you are talking about is for touristy things that you carry through customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The vat back scheme you are talking about is for touristy things that you carry through customs.

Nope, no specific rules on the products. Just the retailer has to be part of the scheme.

You also have 3 months to export the goods and provide proof of export. The company shipping the container will do that.

So it's down to what stores are available

Anthony Ryans homestore in galway is one option

https://www.shoptaxfree.com/cms/stores-and-discounts/stores/anthony-ryans-homestore/

Not sure if there are others.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Nope, no specific rules on the products. Just the retailer has to be part of the scheme.

You also have 3 months to export the goods and provide proof of export. The company shipping the container will do that.

So it's down to what stores are available

Anthony Ryans homestore in galway is one option

https://www.shoptaxfree.com/cms/stores-and-discounts/stores/anthony-ryans-homestore/

Not sure if there are others.

Thanks so much :) I’ll get in contact with them

Just following this up for anyone in the future. I purchased my oven and was charged VAT. It was shipped to Australia 2 days later and i was charged GST on it here. I contacted revenue to ask how i go about getting the VAT refunded and they said that the shop should not have charged VAT as they were aware it was being shipped outside the EU. Fortunately i had the delivery docket and the shop had written on it that it was being shipped to Australia. I contacted the shop with the information from revenue as well as the delivery docket and evidence of GST payment and the shop have now refunded the VAT.

Advertisement