Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2019, 17:59   #31
deerhunter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiabR View Post
Hi,

So I keep hens, the kids love them and we get a steady supply of eggs of the family. I had 14 hens, I am now down to 10. I lost 1 last week, hen was killed and was left in the garden. This week I lost 3 more in the same day and all 3 bodies were left in the garden.

The kills happened between 3pm - 4pm each time. In both cases I arrived about 15-20 mins after the kills.

I am a licenced Shotgun owner but I primarily shoot sporting clay, skeet, OT.

The garden is only about 50-60 yards long and I have a hut about halfway down the garden.

I have the Bestfoxcaller SS.

Good or bad idea to load 5s and try a call?

I can't have anymore hens taken.
well if he is coming in around same time each day be it mink,fox there is no need to start calling,sit tight in the shed an hour before the approximate time and sit tight,he seems to have habit of turning up same time every day
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 21:48   #32
Hunter456

sorry for hijacking the thread but i have this fox coming into the yard between 3 and 4 am being a general nuisance i went out yesterday and last night to have a look for its run and to see was it stirring no luck, its either an all night session which i'm dreading or is there anyone around limerick that has a fox trap i can have a lend of....
09-10-2019, 22:16   #33
deerhunter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter456 View Post
sorry for hijacking the thread but i have this fox coming into the yard between 3 and 4 am being a general nuisance i went out yesterday and last night to have a look for its run and to see was it stirring no luck, its either an all night session which i'm dreading or is there anyone around limerick that has a fox trap i can have a lend of....
Where abouts in limerick are you if you don't mind me asking, my mate and I live in limerick and go out most nights shooting fixes, we have night vision optics, and thermal imaging devices for the job if you are in an area to shoot him,
10-10-2019, 07:27   #34
Hunter456

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter1 View Post
Where abouts in limerick are you if you don't mind me asking, my mate and I live in limerick and go out most nights shooting fixes, we have night vision optics, and thermal imaging devices for the job if you are in an area to shoot him,
check your pm's
10-10-2019, 08:51   #35
Damoeire33

Quote:
I am in County Louth. Would you believe, on the way to work this morning about 100 yards from my house, there was a fox just walking down the road, broad daylight, without a care in the world, just went in through a farm gate and off into a field.

Not for a minute saying that this is the fox that has killed my hens but hard to look past it. Very close to my house.

I am still going to get the traps and set them, as you said, all year round.

Normal for a fox to kill in daylight and not take any of the kills away? Seems odd no? I might take a walk around the garden later and do a little more checking. Might post up some photos of the setup and see if you guys can offer more insight.
Shoot me a PM im in monasterboice and would be happy to help out. I have a personal vendetta against foxes eating free chicken dinners!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-10-2019, 09:00   #36
Igotadose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoeire33 View Post
Shoot me a PM im in monasterboice and would be happy to help out. I have a personal vendetta against foxes eating free chicken dinners!!
Late to the thread. Sounds like mink. Neighbor lost all his hens & ducks in the middle of the day a couple years back and saw the b*stard, though it ran off when he chased it with a pitchfork.

Friend's father keeps hens & ducks, couple miles away other side of the peninsula. Says he traps minks by the dozen each year. There's a bounty apparently. I'd say trap this one and leave the traps around for awhile as there may be more. They kill the hens and come back for them eventually. F*ckers.

A dog, even a small one, is enough to keep the minks away. Neighbor had a dog for the longest time, a little terrier mix who had the run of the yard including around the coop&duck pond. When the dog passed away, the mink showed up a week later.
(2) thanks from:
10-10-2019, 15:00   #37
Eddie B

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter1 View Post
well if he is coming in around same time each day be it mink,fox there is no need to start calling,sit tight in the shed an hour before the approximate time and sit tight,he seems to have habit of turning up same time every day
Another trait associated with fox's, turning up around the same time at each kill. Very clever animal. Probably no one at home at that time of day. Course you could never rule out anything else, when we have no physical evidence of what's doing it.
13-10-2019, 12:26   #38
dodderangler

A lot of foxes I’ve shot especially daytime foxes where foxes that I’ve seen at similar times. So if arrive at the spot at that same time or earlier I was guaranteed to get them. Animals of habit.
13-10-2019, 19:26   #39
Rows Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie B View Post
Another trait associated with fox's, turning up around the same time at each kill. Very clever animal. Probably no one at home at that time of day. Course you could never rule out anything else, when we have no physical evidence of what's doing it.
I'd be more inclined to believe that they will check a source of food everyday or especially night. If they sense danger they move on elsewhere, if they have an opportunity for an attack and a meal they will take it.

They are hugely intelligent but I wouldn't credit them with a concept of time apart from the obvious day/night and approaching dawn and dusk.
Advertisement
14-10-2019, 09:18   #40
ZiabR

OP Here.

Traps have been out since Friday. Nothing in them on Saturday and the baits were not touched.

However, I checked them again on Sunday morning and both traps had been tripped and the baits taken but no animals in the traps.

My thoughts are that it was likely smaller animal, like a rat that could take the bait and fit though the bars on the trap.

I set them again last night and will check them again in the next hour.
14-10-2019, 12:49   #41
minktrapper

Get a trail cam from someone.
Thanks from:
16-10-2019, 08:56   #42
Eddie B

Quote:
OP Here.

Traps have been out since Friday. Nothing in them on Saturday and the baits were not touched.

However, I checked them again on Sunday morning and both traps had been tripped and the baits taken but no animals in the traps.

My thoughts are that it was likely smaller animal, like a rat that could take the bait and fit though the bars on the trap.

I set them again last night and will check them again in the next hour.
What are you using as bait?
16-10-2019, 09:03   #43
Eddie B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rows Grower View Post
I'd be more inclined to believe that they will check a source of food everyday or especially night. If they sense danger they move on elsewhere, if they have an opportunity for an attack and a meal they will take it.

They are hugely intelligent but I wouldn't credit them with a concept of time apart from the obvious day/night and approaching dawn and dusk.
Yes true, but they are also creatures of habit. Saw a YouTube video recently, where a guy had a bait station set up to draw fox's in, to eventually lamp it after a number of days/nights. He set up a trail cam, and got footage of a fox visiting the station at roughly the same time each night. The night he lamped it, the fox turned up on time, and that was the last time he visited lol

Last edited by Eddie B; 16-10-2019 at 21:58.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion