Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Bonus.

Options
  • 21-08-2019 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭

What has Mammy and Daddy given to their successful leaving cert students this year as a reward for their results?
    In my day it was a watch or a piece of jewelry.
    Nowadays it seems to be a trip to Ibiza or Megaloof.
    Grand Tour? Or What?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

policarp wrote: »
    What has Mammy and Daddy given to their successful leaving cert students this year as a reward for their results?
    In my day it was a watch or a piece of jewelry.
    Nowadays it seems to be a trip to Ibiza or Megaloof.
    Grand Tour? Or What?

Oh give me strength

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

jcorr wrote: »
    Oh give me strength

Why?
    Different eras have different criteria.
    In my day foreign travel wasn't affordable for most .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Got a day off from making hay and silage. Around lunch time it was decided that I was badly needed.

We got nothing in the 80s, we expected nothing. Got put through college when times were financially very very hard on my parents and I'm forever grateful to them for that.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Got a day off from making hay and silage. Around lunch time it was decided that I was badly needed.

We got nothing in the 80s, we expected nothing. Got put through college when times were financially very very hard on my parents and I'm forever grateful to them for that.

That's your era.
    nowadays children or "Kids" expect more from their parents.
    The Grand Tour was a trip around Egypt, Italy,Greece and maybe Spain.
    This was an educational "Holiday". "Year Out".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Got a "well done" and life carried on. :D

• Advertisement

Well done.
    Any bonus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭This is it

I got a watch myself in 2004, still have it, still love it. I've no issue with incentive being provided. It's hard to understand at 17 what the leaving cert means. We all say that it isn't the be all and end all, and that's true, but it is important and can determine a lot.

My little fella is only starting school but come the time I'll have no issue with providing some incentive to try give him an extra push, though I hope he won't need much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Well done.
    Any bonus?

No, it was before the time you were rewarded for doing something ordinary. It was just another milestone.

Do you buy babies presents when they walk or say their first word? Where does it begin and end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

A job to help pay for collage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I got a phone call with my results and a 'Well Done'. I was just turned 17 but had flown the nest that summer and started work in Tipp. Folks, and school, were in Cork. It's not far now but in 1981 it was a two hour drive or more and there was no mobiles or internet etc. I didn't expect anything and I got exactly what I expected !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In my day it was a watch or a piece of jewelry. Nowadays it seems to be a trip to Ibiza or Megaloof.Grand Tour? Or What?

A kick up the arse and told to start working full time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

piplip87 wrote: »
    A job to help pay for collage.

A second job to pay for spelling lessons before you got there ...

BmljYVR.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Had to dig the foundation to a sunroom with a pick axe the next day
    Did speed for the first time the night before. Twas a rough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The year was 1992, I finished my exams, went to Nirvana at the Point on the Friday and went backpacking in Belgium, Netherlands and Germany for a few weeks with a mate. I had saved some of the money myself but my parents contributed as a "well done" on getting through the exams.

I had been very ill and being bullied in the last few months before my exams so it was a bit of a mental health gift really.

Advertisement