Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Would anyone know where we'd get our BER cert? Bought the house almost 3 years ago so it's within date. Does the bank hold onto this? Or the solicitor? Or anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭yaknowski

You can get it from the SEAI website once you have your MPRN.

SEAI National BER Register

Mainly because I'm in the process of changing jobs.

The longest fixed rate with PTSB is 7 years for 3%.

Brilliant, thank you. I had emailed the solicitor but didn't get a response, so presumed I was barking up the wrong tree there.

With the BER cert of B3, PTSB can offer us 2.8% for 5 years fixed. Still unsure if it's the best option. Really need to just make a call on it, and be happy with the decision regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

How long does it take for banks to release title deeds? Very frustrating waiting for Bank of Ireland to release the deeds to solicitor. They were requested 3 weeks ago, and time is running out to drawdown with Avant to get the lower rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jack842

My solicitor requested mine from BOI nearly 5 weeks ago and no sign of them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

What a disaster! Are you under pressure to drawdown before mid July too? I wonder if all banks are as bad, or if Bank of Ireland is just particularly slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Stumbled on this thread today and said I'd give our current mortgage bank a call. We're currently on year 3 of a 5 year fixed at 3.1%. 2 minute phone call and they are sending out an offer letter with a revised "Green" 5 year fixed rate (2.8% - PTSB). No fee to refix.

Wondering if this really offers 5 years peace of mind or still subject to % fluctuations depending what happens in the wider economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

I phoned kbc to ask about the deeds 3 weeks after the solicitor said they requested them. They said they'd posted them the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jack842

No, i'm appplying to PTSB for thier 2.35% green rate so not under any pressure apart from the chance of them increasing the the interest rate while waiting.

To be fair to PTSB they have been quite quick in the process, the longest delay is waiting for the Deeds.

• Advertisement

It's a fixed rate so it won't change for 5 years. Once the 5 years are up, they'll send you out information regarding their fixed and variable rates at that time. You need a copy of your BER cert to return to them, needs to be dated within the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

A 2% tracker is not of any real value.

At the end of September the rate will almost certainly be 2.75% (ECB 0.75%), at the end of December the rate has 80% chance of being 3.25% (ECB 1.25%) and a near certainty of 3%

Ulster absolutely will allow you move rates and I'd be getting the entire amount fixed at 2.8% for 10 years.

It will simply take a phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Ring the bank every day about this, don't solely rely on your solicitor. I managed to get my old solicitor to send title deeds to BOI and for them to send them to new solicitor in a week. This wouldn't happened if I wasn't pushing it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rjr2

Is it normal for your old solicitor to have the deeds or generally the banks have the deeds themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

No, it's not normal. One of the reasons I used a different solicitor when switching. My point still stands, stay on top of the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We're only just looking into this now, so apologies for probably stupid questions. We're coming to the end of our fixed term (bought house 3 years ago) and I'm trying to determine if we should be doing anything or not. Currently with Permanent TSB on 2.9% interest rate finishing up a 3 year fixed term in 3 months. So stupid questions:

1. Is there anything we should be doing now to get the best rate we can? Should we get a valuation maybe? I'm guessing it'll have increased since we bought it.
    2. We went with the possible term (35 years) originally to keep payments low as we had some work to do on the house. We're planning on paying more towards this this now - is there any major difference between sticking with the longer term and overpaying vs going with a shorter term this time around?

1. If you check daft for prices of houses around you you'll get an idea of the current value, or call an estate agent & say you are thinking of selling & they will value it for you. If you change LTV you may need to pay for a bank valuation anyway. There's not much else to do except check out the rates available & decide which suite you best.
    2. If you are not overpaying by more than allowed I would keep the longer term & continue overpaying. It gives you the flexibility to stop overpaying if you need to for a while. If you are able to overpay more than they allow then you would be better reducing the term if they let you, some banks try to keep you on the same term & reduce your payment. If you reduce your term you will be paying more back quicker without overpaying & leaves you free to overpay on top of that again so you would be able to pay more back without going over the banks overpayment limits.

Do you think interest rates will come back down if there is a recession? How long has it historically taken to come into effect once there's a recession?

The current 0% is very unusual. A slowdown will possibly cap rises and you may not see rates go above 2%. But personally I can't see rates ever dropping to zero again once they move up.

A small amount of inflation and positive interest rates are actually good for growing economies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi all. I'm currently with EBS on a fixed rate of 3.23%. this term is due to finish next January. I'm very conscious of the coming rate hikes and I'm wondering what's the best option for me? I like being in a fixed rate as I like to know what my exact outgoings are every month. Would it be wise to contact them now before the ECB raise rates? What response could I expect from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Contact them. There may be little or no break fee and then you can break and refix.

If you have b3 or higher BER, their green rate is their best rate although you may lose out on cash back.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I switched to the green rate without a fee as did somebody else, I'm unsure why thery don't enforce their charge as they reserve the right to charge it per their terms. I didn't even mention the fee and neither did they. Switched and never had any fee afterwards. I only did it as somebody else said they also didn't get charged, wasn't going to bother before I saw that post. Hopefully you have a B3 BER to get 2.1%!

Just a quick follow up on this. I contacted EBS today and the end result is I'm starting a new 5 yr fixed rate at 2.75%, down from 3.25% which I was actually paying for the last 4.5 years. No breakage fee and my monthly payment is down a little bit. Glad to have gotten it sorted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A result. Was that through EBS phone support or your branch?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Through my local branch. Phoned them first and because I was in the area they told me call in and it would be quicker. They are definitely expecting word from head office of new higher rates in the coming days so I think I've gotten a good rate just in the nick of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Anyone know when the higher interest rates will become effective in the Irish market?

Have been doing the AIB online application process and Im at the request for funds stage and my solicitor has sent in everything and it’s logged online - but seems like they are being suspiciously slow to actually let me drawdown.

Nothing suspicious. That's how it works and a lot of people are switching.

Tracker rates change immediately after ECB announces a change (July 20th)

Variable rates can have a delay. Very few people choose variable so the pr value of holding off an increase for a few weeks can be good

Fixed rates can change anytime. A lot of European banks have changed a couple of times and Ireland is now one of the lowest rates for 10+ years.

I suspect AIB will wait until August to change rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Oh good I was wondering were we a few days from them withdrawing that rate and they were stringing things out.

It’s a frustratingly slow process. Will be delighted to have the low rate locked in but I’ll be equally happy not have to think about mortgages for a few years.

You should try apply to Avant. repeatedly asking for the same information & taking 1-2 weeks in between each request to respond. I applied for a top up & also separately a 30k loan & included all this in the original application & the reasons for them. They asked what the loan was for & its term & repayments, then I was accused of applying for a loan without notifying them, it was the loan they queried the week before!.

They have asked 3 times what the top up was requested for, leaving 1-2 weeks in between each time. last week they came back & asked how we were planning on financing our attic conversion. That was the 30k loan that was in our original application & had been separately explained at least twice in the whole process.

With all their messing around we are now not going to be able to draw down before their rates go up so its now going to cost us thousands more in interest. The broker told us on the 20th of May to organise the valuation because Avant would approve our mortgage the following week. We first applied on the 13th April

• Advertisement

Your broker should have told you to keep it simple.

Avant have had an absolute deluge of applications. Once everything matches their fairly strict criteria, it is smooth, but still takes 6-8 weeks.

Anything even slightly different and it goes though a different process.

Remember, they want near zero arrears on their mortgage book. By being very pernickety they are able to pass the substantial savings from having no arrears to customers. (I saw an ulster bank case where a €380k loan had over 200k in legal and receiver fees which the bank had to write off in addition to only getting €310k for the house)

So looking for a top-up and a separate loan in addition to moving mortgage just raises flags. You should have simply put the main mortgage switch through and then look for separate finance for additions. Remember a top-up is not a a top-up, it is an entirely separate loan that is usually designed to have a similar end date to a main mortgage. But its an entirely standalone agreement in itself. - But if in your case you are taking a balance from one bank, then adding 50k and looking for a mortgage from avant for the combined total, it is a single loan, but is not a straightforward transaction as they will need to be sure that the extra finance is for doing work on the house and even then as the expenditure ahs not occurred, they may be wary.

Bad broker imo.

Advertisement