Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

I know its not a great description but anyways. Can anyone tell me what movie I'm thinking of. Its like Vantage point. A trio, 2 guys and a girl, steal a car, think its a Dodge Charger, race from the cops, rob a supermarket, they hit a farmer in his pick up truck, turn himover and get killed by trying to beat a train at a level crossing. I think the Doctor from Love boat is in it. Its from the 70s. They are chased by the cops all along a load of states and none of them can keep up. Can someone help me find the movie. Its not vantage point I know but can anyone give me the name please.??

First off, any more post in this thread when you are looking for the name of a film.

I'm assuming that the film you are looking for is similar to Vanishing Point, the classic 70s car film and not the recent Akira Kurosawa indebted action thriller.

The film you are describing sounds like Dirty Mary Crazy larry

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭madmac187

Thats it thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

i have heard what I think is a movie quote before which goes something along the lines of "Did you ever think, in some mad profit making scheme they may have made more than one?" Cant remember what it was in relation to but would love to know where its from

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Paddy001 wrote: »
    i have heard what I think is a movie quote before which goes something along the lines of "Did you ever think, in some mad profit making scheme they may have made more than one?" Cant remember what it was in relation to but would love to know where its from

It was in Meet the Parents. Ben Stiller was arguing that the airline had lost his bag and then returned another bag of the same brand to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

It was in Meet the Parents. Ben Stiller was arguing that the airline had lost his bag and then returned another bag of the same brand to him.

That sounds right, thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

I answered one so I think I can ask..

1990's British film.The main charcters are searching old documentary films (e.g. "Hop Picking in Kent") which have hidden within them some sort of other documentary about a scientific team working on a secret (possibly) nuclear project that went wrong.It all seems to happen at night in various underground storerooms owned by the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

cml387 wrote: »
    I answered one so I think I can ask..

1990's British film.The main charcters are searching old documentary films (e.g. "Hop Picking in Kent") which have hidden within them some sort of other documentary about a scientific team working on a secret (possibly) nuclear project that went wrong.It all seems to happen at night in various underground storerooms owned by the government.

Was there a woman in it who had cancer?
    Sounds like soem other film I seen but can't remember the name,I have it on dvd though so I'll find out if it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 klicha10

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Right, have one that's bugging me at the moment.

It's a scene where I think two guys are breaking into a house, and during the act, the owners come home. It's at that point that the two robbers then say that they're police and they're investigating a break in.

What's the film?

• Advertisement

Renn wrote: »

It's a scene where I think two guys are breaking into a house, and during the act, the owners come home. It's at that point that the two robbers then say that they're police and they're investigating a break in.

What's the film?

It sounds like the scene from Cop Out with the crazy girl from Curb Your Enthuaism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Renn wrote: »

What's the film?
    Mesrine

Ha, class. That's the one, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭van damme

Wondering if anyone can help me with this (despite my lack of detail)!!

Saw a film when I was a kid (prob about 20 years ago at this stage) and all I can remember about it was there was a scene near the end where 2 soldiers were in a room that was filling up with water. They then agreed that they'd need to kill themselves, so 1 of them shot the other and then shot himself.

Saw it with my brother, and was talking to him about it the other and that's all he could remember too!! I'd say the film was made in the 70's as it certainly wasn't new when we saw it.

Sorry for the lack of detail!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Ok, this movie has bugged me for a while. So thought I would see if anyone could help me. I can't remember the title but its either a 80s or early 90s movie. One of those US highschool comedies that were churned out every week.

Plot.
    The main character is a school nerd that gets into trouble with the school bully. The bully arranges to meet him outside after school and the only way the nerd can get out of it is to get detention. Every effort he tries fails but also turns him into the cooliest kid in school. Anyone got an idea of the movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

Thanks to anyone who can place this for me!

Memory is dodgy, but bare with me.
    It was a foreign film, and I'm quite certain French. Didn't look too old, maybe early/mid 1990s at a guess but I could be wrong.

Story began with a couple driving somewhere, they pull into a petrol station and the wife goes into the store. I think the husband waits in the car, they part ways anyway. Then the plot begins - the wife has disappeared.

I never saw the end but a good chunk of the movie is completely based in the same petrol station, the man questioning people who are coming and going.

It's quite dark, really engrossing, but very simply filmed if I remember rightly. Nothing like Taken for example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

xoixo wrote: »
    Thanks to anyone who can place this for me!

Memory is dodgy, but bare with me.
    It was a foreign film, and I'm quite certain French. Didn't look too old, maybe early/mid 1990s at a guess but I could be wrong.

Story began with a couple driving somewhere, they pull into a petrol station and the wife goes into the store. I think the husband waits in the car, they part ways anyway. Then the plot begins - the wife has disappeared.

I never saw the end but a good chunk of the movie is completely based in the same petrol station, the man questioning people who are coming and going.

It's quite dark, really engrossing, but very simply filmed if I remember rightly. Nothing like Taken for example!

Thought initially that it could be Breakdown, but how about The Vanishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Thought initially that it could be Breakdown, but how about The Vanishing?

Oh I think that could be it!
    The trailer doesn't ring many bells but reading the IMDB and wiki page definitely does, I probably just didn't get far enough into the film.

Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

van damme wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone can help me with this (despite my lack of detail)!!

Saw a film when I was a kid (prob about 20 years ago at this stage) and all I can remember about it was there was a scene near the end where 2 soldiers were in a room that was filling up with water. They then agreed that they'd need to kill themselves, so 1 of them shot the other and then shot himself.

Saw it with my brother, and was talking to him about it the other and that's all he could remember too!! I'd say the film was made in the 70's as it certainly wasn't new when we saw it.

Sorry for the lack of detail!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Daybreak ?

Film based on Operation Anthropoid during WWII.

From Wikipedia:
    SS troops laid siege to the church but, despite the best efforts of over 700 German soldiers, they were unable to take the paratroopers alive; three, including Heydrich’s assassin Kubiš, were killed in the prayer loft (Kubiš was said to have survived the battle, but died shortly afterward from his injuries) after a 2-hour gun battle[15]. The other four, including Gabčík, committed suicide in the crypt after fending off SS attacks, attempts to smoke them out, and fire trucks being brought in to try to flood the crypt.[16] The Germans (SS and police) also had casualties, allegedly 14 SS killed and 21 wounded. The official SS report about the fight mentions five wounded SS soldiers. The men in the church had only small calibre pistols, while the attackers had submachine guns, machine guns and hand grenades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭van damme

plissken wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Daybreak ?

Film based on Operation Anthropoid during WWII.

From Wikipedia:
    SS troops laid siege to the church but, despite the best efforts of over 700 German soldiers, they were unable to take the paratroopers alive; three, including Heydrich’s assassin Kubiš, were killed in the prayer loft (Kubiš was said to have survived the battle, but died shortly afterward from his injuries) after a 2-hour gun battle[15]. The other four, including Gabčík, committed suicide in the crypt after fending off SS attacks, attempts to smoke them out, and fire trucks being brought in to try to flood the crypt.[16] The Germans (SS and police) also had casualties, allegedly 14 SS killed and 21 wounded. The official SS report about the fight mentions five wounded SS soldiers. The men in the church had only small calibre pistols, while the attackers had submachine guns, machine guns and hand grenades.

Thanks for the reply plissken. Will try and check it out, but it doesn't sound like it's had a proper DVD release yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

its an old film prob from back in the 70's set in american a group of friends head off on a trip and pay two hillbillys to drop the cars down stream

there's a scene before this where there's a hillbilly kid playin a tune on the banjo and one the guy's starts to play along and next thing you know there's a big load a hilly billys dancing about the place like theres no tomorrow

they head down stream in there boat two boats 4 men 1 boat comes a shore and two the men 1 fat one skinny end up gettin raped by the two hill billy folk thats all i can remember as i didint watch the hole thing and i want to know what happens so can any one put me out of my misery

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

MrStuffins wrote: »

cheers for that i was in a rush didnt look properly ill remember that next time
    my bad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

yeah it's deliverance.great film that particular scene is very disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You got a mighty purdy mouth boy!:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

Okay, I've been trying to find it for months. & have had no success at all.

I remember seeing it on RTE a few years back. (5-8years ago) & LOVING it. I was young at the time, & really want to see it again. So, if ANYBODY could help me out, it would be very much appreciated. smile.gif

I'll tell y'all what I know:

Basic plot is that a woman (possibly a mother) is diagnosed with a terminal illness, leaving behind her husband (possible children). In the end, she dies. I remember that the final scene is: Swings. As in, swings in a playground. It had something to do with swings. She had gone back to peace, and was now on the swings. Or something similar. smile.gif

A couple of scenes I remember are:

One of her (& family) going out to get a Christmas Tree.

Also a scene where she's resting in bed, her husband has made her a smoothie / health juice, and she's discussing her illness with the husband and nanny/housekeeper. smile.gif

If any of you know it, or even vaguely remember it, could ye please take the time to post here.

Thanks so much.
    smile.gif

I saw some trailer for a film with Sandra Bullock in it (or so I thought) before His and Hers. Anyone got any idea what it is? It was this 'based on a true story' crap where she wakes up one day to realise that she wants to travel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭patch

Here's one for the sci-/horror heads:

All I've got is a scene from a trailer on an epiode of 'That's Hollywood' that I caught a glimpse of as a child.
    Its a black guy possibly with a gun, hiding round a corner from a big blob/whale type creature in some kind of compound. He's sweaty and scared. He looks around again, and a long tentacle with like a parachute on the end is coming out of the creature towards him.
    -That must have been the point where I got sent to bed!

Thats all I got.I remember being freaked out by a trailer for Damien:Omen 2 at around the same time, so that puts it at '78 or a bit later.
    It must have had a pretty decent budget for what I remember as good special effects, but looking through movie archives and having seen most popular sci-fi/horror movies, I'm stumped!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Here's one,

The guy is a programmer, lifes in a block apartment, works out of his home, and gets empty packages delivered to him from time to time, most of the movie is filmed in the building.

Should be around 1997-2000s

Advertisement