Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Land in Ireland

Options
  • 17-04-2014 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Talking to a horticulture grad and he reckons the best land in irelands a toss up between around New Ross co.Wexford and the louth monaghan border. any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

neutralvu wrote: »
    Talking to a horticulture grad and he reckons the best land in irelands a toss up between around New Ross co.Wexford and the louth monaghan border. any opinions?

I have some of the best land in Ireland at retaining water! Define best land...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

there would be some great land in tipp and kk, not in the part of kk i live though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

the best land in ireland was the land the british went for 1st, its still the areas that have the tillage land here, and where the best weather tends to be.

louth, meath, north dublin, kildare (aka the pale)

the sunny south east, wexford, south kk, carlow, south tipp

east cork and the bride, and blackwater valleys in cork and waterford (but then i would say that :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

simx wrote: »
    there would be some great land in tipp and kk, not in the part of kk i live though :(

Didn't I see a pic of you cutting bales yesterday? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

An old man in westmeath told me his father told him as a child to draw a line on the map of Ireland from Louth/down border to cork/Kerry border, everything above is generally poor, with few good pockets & everything below is good except a few bad pockets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Farrell wrote: »
    An old man in westmeath told me his father told him as a child to draw a line on the map of Ireland from Louth/down border to cork/Kerry border, everything above is generally poor, with few good pockets & everything below is good except a few bad pockets

Thats worse than cromwell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Cutting and gathering up rushes he was :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Muckit wrote: »
    Cutting and gathering up rushes he was :)

Another €3 for DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

North county Dublin, basically from the m50 to Louth. East coast, people not learn that in geography?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭ABlur

After 2 dry weeks West Clare land is hard to beat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

There is very little bad land mostly it is the f@@ker on top of it is the issue.
    Not sure if you can define the best. Lots of land has advantages over other land. Biggest issue is land management and maybe scale in this country. I am often of the opinion in lots of places the best lad to farm did not get the farm. It is an issue with the eldest inheriting.

They say with children the eldest is the most responsible however may be less open to change and authoritarian is this evident in a lot of farmers. The second the most rebellinous after that it depends on family size. Often as you go down the line younger siblings may be shrewder but lack responsibility and the youngest tend to be spoilt and is the baby of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

Moorepark has to be up there with the top 05%, if the top:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

ABlur wrote: »

I think your vision is blurry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

ABlur wrote: »

From kilmaley/ inagh/ lissycasey back to is bog :D apart from the land right on the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sheepmad

Farrell wrote: »

Could be true, but there is some great land in east Galway where it is classified as "disadvantaged" .
    It is the farmers that work it to its potential that makes land productive and good.
    Fertile soil, not managed goes to scrub very quickly. Wet land well drained and managed can be very productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

rushvalley wrote: »
    From kilmaley/ inagh/ lissycasey back to is bog :D apart from the land right on the coast

It won't suffer from drought anyway, always amazed me the amount of lads milking back that side though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If you made a triangle from navan to drogheda to Dublin you have some mighty fine land there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭stanflt

If you made a triangle from navan to drogheda to Dublin you have some mighty fine land there

You'd have some good farmers too and some bad ones
    Really annoys me when I fields in this area unutilised to its potential

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Soil Map of Ireland 1980 http://www.agresearch.teagasc.ie/johnstown/Soil%20maps/General%20Soils%20map/Book.pdf. Looks like Waterford is the winner in tillage categories. There's a lot of information in the report.
    Example p.139:
    TABLE 15: Extent of suitable tillage land by county*
    County % Acres Hectares
    Waterford 92 418,701 169,446
    Meath 88 504,565 204,195
    Wexford 83 479,706 194,134
    Louth 83 167,005 67,586
    Kilkenny 80 406,299 164,427
    Westmeath 79 341,412 138,168
    Carlow 78 173,015 70,018
    **Dublin 69 157,108 63,580
    Kildare 68 285,251 115,440
    Offaly 65 318,244 128,972
    Cork 63 1,162,129 470,307
    Tipperary 63 659,996 267,097
    Longford 59 152,100 61,554
    Monaghan 56 174,465 70,605
    Wicklow 53 263,469 106,624
    Limerick 48 316,245 127,983
    Laois 48 202,250 81,850
    Galway 46 671,088 271,586
    Sligo 46 202,762 82,057
    Roscommon 42 254,338 102,929
    Clare 30 234,094 94,737
    Mayo 27 362,027 146,510
    Cavan 23 106,612 43,145
    Donegal 21 247,095 99,998
    Kerry 20 226,769 91,772
    Leitrim 3 11,091 4,489
    *Includes marginally suitable tillage land category.
    **Approximately 20% of Dublin is urban land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

That's a book worth reading some time.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 sheepmad

redtelephone

Is this the sort of data DAFM/EU will be basing the new disadvantaged areas on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Figerty wrote: »
    I have some of the best land in Ireland at retaining water! Define best land...
    That's a lie....I have that land I tell you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Great read, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

A lot of land has changed use a lot of over the years.

Due to changes in where the produce can be supplied and sold effects the land usage. Much of the land that was used here in east cork that was in tillage for the veg factories is no longer in veg and much of it is now in grass.

Similar story in Galway and Mayo where land was in tillage due to the presence of the beet plant in tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭neutralvu

So to sum it up i am correct. East waterford/new ross area and louth to north dublin area are the best areas in ireland for top land.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

I reckon there is a stretch of land from Castledermot through Athy onto Stradbally that would rate with any. Great land,big fields and always great looking crops. lot of great farmers too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Poor Letrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

neutralvu wrote: »
    So to sum it up i am correct. East waterford/new ross area and louth to north dublin area are the best areas in ireland for top land.

Yes, but when you state the blindly obvious you will usually be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

DMAXMAN wrote: »
    I reckon there is a stretch of land from Castledermot through Athy onto Stradbally that would rate with any. Great land,big fields and always great looking crops. lot of great farmers too

This discussion was had here before and someone mentioned Kilkea. I'd agree too, serious tillage land and a lot of men in a big way in that neck of the woods so it must have something going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

There is very little bad land mostly it is the f@@ker on top of it is the issue.
    Not sure if you can define the best. Lots of land has advantages over other land. Biggest issue is land management and maybe scale in this country. I am often of the opinion in lots of places the best lad to farm did not get the farm. It is an issue with the eldest inheriting.

They say with children the eldest is the most responsible however may be less open to change and authoritarian is this evident in a lot of farmers. The second the most rebellinous after that it depends on family size. Often as you go down the line younger siblings may be shrewder but lack responsibility and the youngest tend to be spoilt and is the baby of the family.
    Not much hope for me so! I'm the baby of the family and a female to boot! Brothers not a bit interested in farming, I've been farming since I was big enough not to get stuck in the muck.
    It will be the youngest girl of mine that will be given the land in the future

Advertisement