Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hopper for fertilizer spreader

• 20-04-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Hi all. anyone know how to fix a hole in a fiberglass hopper or is there anyone that does it.

or, anyone know of any abbey 1 ton hoppers going secondhand.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

You can buy fibre glass repair kits in the motor factors. Mix up the resin and layer sheets of fibre glass and resin over the hole. I would put some inside and outside. You would do a lot in a half hour. I think the fibre glass resin would want a day or two to fully harden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

One of these might get you away temporarily. I've found they last about two years before the adhesive gives way. They're simple to use with no messy mixing

If you are going down the mixing route, be sure you are well prepared as it sets fairly fast, runs everywhere, sticks everywhere and is difficult to remove. It doesn't really clean with solvents other than acetone so avoid getting on your hands so make sure you have a few pairs of disposable gloves handy and some small cheap paintbrushes to work it in.

Kits (just as a price guide)
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_194271_langId_-1_categoryId_212459

http://www.as-ireland.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=95&products_id=238&zenid=cefp5q8sh9vvaki55p16j2lka4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Cover it with a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Depends how bad it is. My vicon went to bits when a 500kg bag dropped from a height so i got a spurious hopper which was not too dear. cant remember price now but was 50% or so of orginal price. Have repaired them with fiberglass. Looks rough but last well. I roughened up the smooth outer layer of the hopper arounfd the hole with the grinder to give the new fiberglass grip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

TUBBY wrote: »
    Hi all. anyone know how to fix a hole in a fiberglass hopper or is there anyone that does it.

or, anyone know of any abbey 1 ton hoppers going secondhand.
    Depends how bad the hole is

We have fixed them before in the garage. It would entail a drive to mullingar for ya tho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.kehoemarine.ie/products/Isopon-P40.html

Here's a link, but most motor factors should have it. As st1979 says rub the old stuff with a grinder or sandpaper to give the new stuff a grip, put some on both sides and do it fairly quickly. Last time I did it there is 3 parts, 2 chemicals that you mix together and fibre glass mat that you cut to shape with a scissors before you mix the paste.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement