Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vasectomised bull

• 19-04-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I want to use an on farm dry stock (limousin) vasectomised bull with a chin ball harness for the maiden heifers inthe dairy herd. Thinking of picking a light bull which I may use next year also. Once vasectomised, how long do I have to wait before I can introduce the bull to the herd? I have heard that he will need time for his sperm to die off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

6 Weeks. I've had 2 vasectomised bulls in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭dungfly

is a good idea to use the cheapest bull possible as a vasectimised bull possible such as a jersey bull? or is this just introducing disease into a F-H herd? what about using multiple cheapvasectimised to compete against each other one after the other.

Ideally use one of your own animals to keep out disease. Jerseys turn nasty from what I hear. How many heifers are you talking about. A yearling teaser should be able for 20 or so, I'd say.

about 25 this year. when selecting a teaser bull from your own herd what type bull do you select ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Def don't pick a jersey as they become wicked aggressive little fookers,I usually just keep the last 2 freisan or angus bulls from my own herd .less disease risk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Def don't pick a jersey as they become wicked aggressive little fookers,I usually just keep the last 2 freisan or angus bulls from my own herd .less disease risk

Totally agree, angry, nasty little bastards. They will always look for an opportunity to get you. Stay 100 miles away from Jersey bull.

When Spring Show was on years ago they were the only breed where it was compulsory to have 2 handlers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Have a je teaser here. Brilliant lad. And very quite. He won't let you pet him but he knows who's boss and keeps quite.
    I won't let him with cows for another 3 weeks because he will be wore out with all the activity.
    Have 4 jex calves kept this year for the job.
    My opinion is, first year put them with heifers as there young and heifers will boss them around.
    Next year put with cows because cows will control him then.
    Get rid after that season.

Too late to vaso bull at this stage for heifers as you'll need to hold him for 6 weeks.

Kmar, ai for 7 days, pg remainder and kmar with ai for repeats.

Have a je teaser here. Brilliant lad. And very quite. He won't let you pet him but he knows who's boss and keeps quite.
    I won't let him with cows for another 3 weeks because he will be wore out with all the activity.
    Have 4 jex calves kept this year for the job.
    My opinion is, first year put them with heifers as there young and heifers will boss them around.
    Next year put with cows because cows will control him then.
    Get rid after that season.

I put Jersey bulls, pet tigers and bank managers in the same category, they will all turn on you at some stage!

For a suckler herd, I'd keep a weanling that didn't reach full potention, say a late heifers calf that didn't have much milk. That way you'll have a good animal to send to the factory when finished with. I always kept mine for 2 seasons. In the first season, it can be hard to spot standing heat, as the bull starts to mount from maybe 2 days ahead. Second season, he will 'shadow' the cow more and so easier to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Put vas bull with the heifers yesterday, he must be gay, two bulling this morning and no interest.The vet used a new method this year, snip one side and burdizzo on the other, maybe that's the problem.

Put vas bull with the heifers yesterday, he must be gay, two bulling this morning and no interest.The vet used a new method this year, snip one side and burdizzo on the other, maybe that's the problem.
    Never heard of that. Shur if he's sore, he'd hardly be jumping around.

Never heard of that. Shur if he's sore, he'd hardly be jumping around.

Vet said it works fine, still plenty of hormones and less risk of infection. I would have preferred snip on both sides.

thinking of using a young tease bull from my own herd but want to make sure that he is disease free especially of transferable diseases. what approach should i take here? oh and if a tease bull is related to the cows i presume this makes no difference ?
    or am i missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Is a squeezed bullock any good as a teaser.

satstheway wrote: »
    Better than other cows and heifers I think, but nowhere near as good as a full bull, which a teaser bull still is.

Could the heifers be gay?

A distinct possibility, judging by the carry on today. Ah maybe he'll get into this group thing.

Thinking of using a yearling teaser with the maiden heifers and a two year old with the cows. If I hold onto one bull each year then this should provide a steady supply of teaser bulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

dungfly wrote: »
    oh and if a tease bull is related to the cows i presume this makes no difference ?
    or am i missing something ?

Once he can't get a calf it'll make no difference.

• Advertisement

satstheway wrote: »

If ya get the right one its a great job. He'll shadow them an all for ya.
    Others couldn't care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

if you have 4 or 5 bullocks running with them like i do you'll have the cows well marked when they come bulling

if you have 4 or 5 bullocks running with them like i do you'll have the cows well marked when they come bulling

Do you run multiple teaser bulls at the same time or do you rotate them?

If ya get the right one its a great job. He'll shadow them an all for ya.
    Others couldn't care less.

Please clarify?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Do you run multiple teaser bulls at the same time or do you rotate them?

I dont run any teasers. Just graze 3 or 4 bullocks with the cows. No fighting and no rotation necessary

Please clarify?

What I'm trying to say is some bullocks will act nearly as good as a teaser, and others are pure useless. If you do as Bogman suggests you're sure to find a couple who'll do the job for ya!

What I'm trying to say is some bullocks will act nearly as good as a teaser, and others are pure useless. If you do as Bogman suggests you're sure to find a couple who'll do the job for ya!

What age bullock do yet run with the cows and maiden heifers? Once you find a good one what then ? Is these not a substantial abort associated with the using so many animals for heat detection ?

What age bullock do yet run with the cows and maiden heifers? Once you find a good one what then ? Is these not a substantial abort associated with the using so many animals for heat detection ?

Since we run our own bull now we don't require the services of a bullock anymore.
    But when we were 100% AI, or had cows on an outfarm we would run a bullock with the cows. I never worried too much about his age, it would usually be a lad around 18mths, but more importantly it would be a lad that had shown some interest in the job.
    At that time we used keep bullocks, nowadays we sell most bulls entire and keep all heifers to beef.

I never felt there were an increased risk of incurring problems, like the bull, the bullock would only be ran with the cows for a defined breeding season.

Does anyone run multiple vasectomised Bulls with heifers or cows? What way do you do it? Do you rotate them or just let them at it? Does it work? Is it good for competition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Does anyone run multiple vasectomised Bulls with heifers or cows? What way do you do it? Do you rotate them or just let them at it? Does it work? Is it good for competition?
    They would turn on each other, if you had two you could let one out during the day and the other at night.

Advertisement