Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man gives little scrote a smack of a hurl and gets 4 year sentence?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Anyone see this today. Judges hand out lenient sentences to these gougers every day but when someone strikes back they get a 4 year sentence.

This a classic example of where community policing falls down. How many times do people have to complain about groups of feral kids and the Gardaí do nothing but when someone finally strikes back out of frustration the the law comes down on them like a tonne of bricks.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-who-fractured-teenagers-skull-with-hurley-in-revenge-attack-has-sentence-increased-38585776.html

A smack that resulted in a fractured skull tho?

The teenager "suffered a depressed skull fracture in the assault and underwent an emergency operation. He was referred to the National Rehabilitation Hospital for treatment for this injury". His speech is now under-developed as a result.

There was no mitigation of self-defence.

Are you kidding, here? I'd have given him longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Perp is 35. Victim is 16.
    He followed the kid to hit him in head.
    We can't have vigilantes.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Running out of a house swinging a Hurley is not the way to handle a situation like that

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭champchamp

If someone swung a plank at me, I'd be swinging back with a hurl...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

wrote:
    He said the proper approach would have been to speak to the boys in a peaceful manner, and if that didn’t work, to call the gardaí.
    lol
    bunch of nacks damage your car and the judge recommends to go out and have a peaceful chat.
    What planet are our judges from.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Running out of a house swinging a Hurley is not the way to handle a situation like that

Yea, best way is

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

His speech is now under-developed as a result.

So no difference to how he was before

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s probably proportional though, a fractured skull is no laughing matter, it’s a very serious assault. Scrotes they might be but that kind of assault is not a proportional reaction.

Sometimes it's the only way.
    I have a 15 year old son and hed never be in a situation where he is hassling people.
    Also if there was one hassling me id take the same approach. I've lived in rough estates..biggest sxumbags going. This is the only language they know. Otheriwise your life will be so stressful and problem after problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There was no mitigation of self-defence.

The kid did take a swing at him with a “plank” but missed. Not condoning it but there’s an element of self-defence there.

I dunno, if this had happened down the country the guy would be hailed as a hero. Like someone who shoots dead a traveller or knocks the eye out of a “peeler”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Beating a fella around the head is part and parcel of Galway club hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

What are people supposed to do , let scumbags destroy your car outside your house .
    The judges in Ireland really are on the scumbags side

Earleybird wrote: »
    So no difference to how he was before
    He's a kid, dude. He was 16 years of age at the time, 21 now. His brain hasn't finished developing, and in certain respects it probably won't develop. He's suffered a brain injury because someone flew into a rage, without any defence of self-defence. If you think that's acceptable, fair enough; I think most reasonable people would be distraught to know they'd caused that kind of damage to someone. I'm sure both parties feel pretty distraught and regretful; nobody has won anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

lol
    bunch of nacks damage your car and the judge recommends to go out and have a peaceful chat.
    What planet are our judges from.

Sounds like they have never set foot in crumlin! Gang of young lads acting the bollox , go out and talking woulda given him a hiding!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

If the scrote had a better aim with the plank and smashed the man's skull he wouldn't serve a day in jail. The criminal justice industry in Ireland makes money by keeping scrotes on the street repeat offending and earning more money for the industry. A lad loses control once and is unlikely to reoffend. Well there is no more money to be made from him so it's off to jail with him.

Should he be jailed. Probably yes. But a properly functioning justice system rather than a justice industry would have scrotes either in jail or terrified to stick their noses out from their lairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

LuasSimon wrote: »
    What are people supposed to do , let scumbags destroy your car outside your house .

Judges in Ireland live in a different world to most of us, hence the revolving door legal system when it comes to trash bags. It's not a recent thing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

The kid did take a swing at him with a “plank” but missed. Not condoning it but there’s an element of self-defence there.

I dunno, if this had happened down the country the guy would be hailed as a hero. Like someone who shoots dead a traveller or knocks the eye out of a “peeler”.

If twas down the country the man would have been cleverer and bided his time and give young fella few slaps when noone else about

Where does the self-defence arise? The young-lad missed. Grand, be angry, lose the rag. But don't fracture his skull. That's not self defence, that's just revenge. And tbh it's fairly brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,532 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Perp

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A smack of a hurl?

He chased him down and caved his head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Where does the self-defence arise? The young-lad missed. Grand, be angry, lose the rag. But don't fracture his skull. That's not self defence, that's just revenge. And tbh it's fairly brutal.

I did say I didn’t condone it but just because he missed doesn’t remove his “intent”.

The guy with the hurl was incredibly stupid to be swinging for the head. He could have thought the kid a lesson with a decent “pull” across the back legs, or even arms.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

LuasSimon wrote: »

they aren't.
    serious assalt is a no no and quite rightly so this individual is locked up for the good and protection of society.
    he should have got 12 to 15 years tbh.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The judge

He said the proper approach would have been to speak to the boys in a peaceful manner, and if that didn’t work, to call the gardaí.

Sorry judge your an idiot it's likely he would have ended up on the ground seriously injured by a gang of feral teenagers if not worse who would never see the inside of a court.

This **** head made a decision to get involved with damaging someone else's property and then tried to attack the owner with a plank of wood ,

People need to stand up to these feral dragged up ****heads if it takes a single smack or several smacks of a hurl so be it ,they will learn quick enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Criminals and scrotes are protected in Ireland, this should come as no real surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

I work in Retail. I deal with these little fkuckers every day. They have no respect for their parents, no respect for the guards and no respect for anyone outside their group. The only respect they recieve is from ancient judges in our court system who have lost touch with reality.

No pity for the litte Sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No, that part he got right.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

It’s a tough one, what are you supposed to do in situations like this, what I’ve learned over the years is that basically you have to sit and take it, there is very very rarely any support from guards in instances like this you are on your own, they may show 4 hours later or may not show at all, i do think the judges comment about talking to them is laughable.

About ten years ago I had a problem with youths outside my house, i took the judges route of talking to them they told me they would be back to slice me up and kill my dog, in i went, approx 4am that morning my front and porch windows were put in with rocks, talking to them really did the job. There are no winners here, you confront with violence you will lose one way or another, guards are useless in cases like this.

I did say I didn’t condone it but just because he missed doesn’t remove his “intent”.

The guy with the hurl was incredibly stupid to be swinging for the head. He could have thought the kid a lesson with a decent “pull” across the back legs, or even arms.
    The young pup (injured) intended to do serious damage, by knocking your man out with a plank. That's very clear.

But he didn't succeed. What would you, a civilised individual, do in that situation? You'd probably call him, and his mother, every name under the sun; you'd probably belt him across the ankles. I seriously doubt you, Emmet, would strike him on the head with a hurl. That's completely beyond the pale, in terms of acceptable behaviour. You do not give someone brain damage out of revenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I know that fella. Didn’t realise he was into the hurlin that’s news to me

Advertisement