Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Just realised there's a bank holiday 2 days after AC Origins is released. Score.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just realised there's a bank holiday 2 days after AC Origins is released. Score.

Really looking forward too it, have it pre ordered and hopefully pre load early next week, press start are great for the discounted psn cards :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Am I the only one that kinds something funny about an 'origins' version of Assassin's Creed, of all games? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Really looking forward too it, have it pre ordered and hopefully pre load early next week, press start are great for the discounted psn cards :pac:

How much, if you don't mind me asking?

I payed 52 eurons for a pre-order from amazon, but if this is comparable, I'll go with the download code instead! Damn amazon won't deliver to me until after the long weekend :(

How many eurons is a theon worth again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Billy86 wrote: »

Theon?
    Quit making up words Billy :D

It's 50 bucks on Press-Start for the xbox version, but it's currently out of stock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Are you talking about a whole theon or just the meat and two veg?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

marcbrophy wrote: »
    How much, if you don't mind me asking?

I payed 52 eurons for a pre-order from amazon, but if this is comparable, I'll go with the download code instead! Damn amazon won't deliver to me until after the long weekend :(

It worked out at about 60, I would have gone physical but my ps4 keeps ejecting the damn discs so I've gone fully digital until I can afford a pro, so stick with what you have if you can wait, btw I got the delux version which had another 10 euro off because I'm plus member.

giphy.gif

I got a 50% off steam voucher for civ vi there. Don't know where.

Is civ vi actually any good? I'd heard mixed reviews so even with 50% off I'm not sure. Getting back into civ v at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think this is a GOT joke...but noone got it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I think this is a GOT joke...but noone got it

FidZknJ.gif

bluewolf wrote: »
    I got a 50% off steam voucher for civ vi there. Don't know where.

Is civ vi actually any good? I'd heard mixed reviews so even with 50% off I'm not sure. Getting back into civ v at the moment

Forget Civ! Get yourself a copy of warhammar total war, way more fun!

:edit: Just reread your post and saw that you said you have a voucher for civ :o

Just wrapped up on TW:WH... it was OK, fairly underwhelmed to be honest and I found controlling units in battle absurdly clunky at times. Also had a huge issue with the fact that it seemed to just assume I had played other TW games before and explained close to nothing.

I'd say go with Civ VI, personally - I enjoy it quite a bit, and I'd imagine like V that when they get the additional content out it will improve considerably again.

Is it just me or is this year exceptionally bad for game releases in the run up to Christmas? I'm talking about the number of AAA ones, outside of Wolfenstein and maybe Assassin's Creed thats it for me :confused:

Just seems theres fewer big releases this year than there have been for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is it just me or is this year exceptionally bad for game releases in the run up to Christmas? I'm talking about the number of AAA ones, outside of Wolfenstein and maybe Assassin's Creed thats it for me

It's just overly familiar & not fresh.
    Well there is COD WW2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, South Park: FBW, Shadow of War, Destiny 2 & Mario Odyssey is arguably the biggest release.
    Sony & Microsoft tend not to release big Christmas games the last couple of years. Sony is going with DLC for Uncharted & Horizon. Microsoft only really have PUBG & Forza if it comes out this year, for a relaunch it's surprising to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a new main series Mario game next week.

That is all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as well for those interested

There's a new main series Mario game next week.

That is all that matters.

Preordered mine way back in June. Being delivered on the 27th. I'll finally get use out of my Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

sligeach wrote: »
    It's €330 on another console where to me looks minimally better than on Wii U. I don't care that it's portable, for me, that's irrelevant. Dreadful online setup, even worse voice chat, limited on board memory storage, terrible battery life(though for me it wouldn't matter), no browser, no app's, no Virtual Console, no backwards compatibility, no transfer of games from Wii U/3DS to Switch. It's riddled with last gen ports, the cartridges are expensive which is passed on to the consumer, limited cartridge size(32GB), resulting in large games being partially digital.

They weren't ready at launch and still aren't. They only just now used the capture button, 8 months after launch and that is limited as well. Their paid for online service has a vague 2018 launch date. Super Mario Odyssey is their first true mega blockbuster game, again 8 months after launch.

Accessories are crazy expensive. There's limited 3rd party support, especially from Western developers. Some of the ports have been gimped, that's partly down to the Switch being weaker than the PS4/XB1.

The Joy-Con's for me are dog turd. I cannot overemphasise that. I was shocked by them. They feel awful, cheap, small and cramped. I was so disappointed. First time I've ever hated or even disliked a Nintendo controller. Which means I've to buy a Switch Pro Controller, more money. Unless, I hope they release some patch that allows Wii U Pro Controllers to be used. I'll stop here.

Don't hold back, how do you really feel about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I bet you are a ball of laughs at parties 😂

Probably not if it's one of these parties

Nintendo_Switch_2.0.0.jpg

At a normal party, he might be okay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: We have a Nintendo forum precisely for this reason - to discuss their consoles, sales etc... - and it works perfectly well with a strong, enthusiastic community. Please discuss relevant topics over yonder, thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I bet you are a ball of laughs at parties 😂

I'm just being honest. My feelings shouldn't hinder anyone's enjoyment of the Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Probably not if it's one of these parties

Nintendo_Switch_2.0.0.jpg

Go **** yourself Karen!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nice look back at Chaos Theory's Spies vs Mercs mode.
    I would have loved to play this back in the day. Seems a pain to get going now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just back to Assassins Creed Origins, what time do Tesco usually put their stock out? Local Tesco is only open until midnight so was thinking I might chance my arm and pop down at 11.45 or so to see if it had been put on the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

I can't see much wrong with it fantastic console

Ah but you see it's portable and some folks just don't want a portable console. They'll never tire of telling you how much they don't give a damn about portability.

Why can't Nintendo just make an exact copy of the PS4 with no features that distinguish it from the other video game options?

Also it costs money and if you want to buy extra things they costs money too!

sligeach wrote: »
    Super Mario Odyssey is their first true mega blockbuster game, again 8 months after launch.

Are you serious here?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be fair, some people have no interest in their console being portable. I never did, though i'll admit i really enjoyed the portability when i had the Switch.

Saying Mario is the only blockbuster is just wrong though.

• Advertisement

Saruhashi wrote: »
    Ah but you see it's portable and some folks just don't want a portable console. They'll never tire of telling you how much they don't give a damn about portability.

Why can't Nintendo just make an exact copy of the PS4 with no features that distinguish it from the other video game options?

Also it costs money and if you want to buy extra things they costs money too!

Meh, he obviously has good reasons for why it's not a console he wants. He's clearly in the minority as most people love it. Doesn't really appeal to me much either but I can appreciate that its not a sentiment most people share.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Are you serious here?
    That sounds about right. Zelda BOTW at launch and now Mario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Are you serious here?

As a Wii U owner, he's spot on. Unless you count Splatoon 2 which is essentially just a mild upgrade to Splatoon.

Mario is for sure the first blockbuster for anyone who owned a Wii U(not many :D )

I don't think you should count games that were already on other consoles(Zelda, MK 8).

Kiith wrote: »
    To be fair, some people have no interest in their console being portable. I never did, though i'll admit i really enjoyed the portability when i had the Switch.

Saying Mario is the only blockbuster is just wrong though.

Portability is pretty redundant to me as I would get little to no use out of it - I drive an hour to and from work everyday and I'm generally being taxi kids for a lot of the weekend. If I'm playing on the couch I tend not to want to be staring at a small screen when I'm playing - I do enough of that with my phone tbh - I'd rather play on the big screen.

• Portability is pretty redundant to me as I would get little to no use out of it - I drive an hour to and from work everyday and I'm generally being taxi kids for a lot of the weekend. If I'm playing on the couch I tend not to want to be staring at a small screen when I'm playing - I do enough of that with my phone tbh - I'd rather play on the big screen.

But you can :pac:
    It's a Hybrid lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are you serious here?

I assumed he's not counting Zelda because it was available on WiiU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Splatoon 2 is more than just a mild upgrade, it's a full blown sequel.

Portability is pretty redundant to me as I would get little to no use out of it - I drive an hour to and from work everyday and I'm generally being taxi kids for a lot of the weekend. If I'm playing on the couch I tend not to want to be staring at a small screen when I'm playing - I do enough of that with my phone tbh - I'd rather play on the big screen.

Isn't one of the main selling points of the Switch that you can do both?

So you could play on the big screen or on the go because the console allows both.

I get the argument that the console may have some features that some people don't want and might be lacking features that some people do want but it kind of feels like Nintendo are put in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation here.

I definitely appreciate the portable aspect of the Switch but at the same time I am not complaining that I can't play the PS4 on the go.

Maybe I should. Imagine paying 400 Euro for a PS4 pro and you can't even play it on your daily commute or take it on a flight? I paid 400 euro for this console but when the wife wants to watch TV I have to turn it off! :(

It seems that Nintendo are criticized not only for what their console can't do but also for what it can do. Would it really be a good idea for them to release what would basically be a PS4 (minus the PS4 exclusive games) with a Nintendo logo slapped on the front?

• Are you forgetting the following? These are big titles.
    Suggest doing some research first.

Arms has already sold 2 Million copies and that's not even a current figure and was only launched mid June.
    Splatoon 2 has sold 1.2 Million copies to date and is only out since the end of July.
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is the best-selling Nintendo Switch game not to have been published by Nintendo.
    Zelda: Dated July 2017, total sales of the Switch version is nearly 4 million.

Here's only a few select big titles to come:

Zenoblade Chronicles 2
    Mario Odyssey
    Doom
    Skyrim
    Sonic Forces

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    But you can :pac:
    It's a Hybrid lads

I do know that, I'm just saying why the portability part of it is not something that has any great appeal for me.

Are you forgetting the following? These are big titles.

Arms has already sold 2 Million copies and that's not even a current figure and was only launched mid June.
    Splatoon 2 has sold 1.2 Million copies to date and is only out since the end of July.
    Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is the best-selling Nintendo Switch game not to have been published by Nintendo.

Ah, but it's not a true scotsman blockbuster game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I just want a port of Bayonetta 2 so I can entirely forget Wii U exists forever

Isn't one of the main selling points of the Switch that you can do both?

So you could play on the big screen or on the go because the console allows both.

I get the argument that the console may have some features that some people don't want and might be lacking features that some people do want but it kind of feels like Nintendo are put in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation here.

I definitely appreciate the portable aspect of the Switch but at the same time I am not complaining that I can't play the PS4 on the go.

Maybe I should. Imagine paying 400 Euro for a PS4 pro and you can't even play it on your daily commute or take it on a flight? I paid 400 euro for this console but when the wife wants to watch TV I have to turn it off! :(

It seems that Nintendo are criticized not only for what their console can't do but also for what it can do. Would it really be a good idea for them to release what would basically be a PS4 (minus the PS4 exclusive games) with a Nintendo logo slapped on the front?

I'm not criticizing it for being portable, I'm just saying it's not a feature that I'd personally get much benefit from. Seriously, stop being so defensive about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nintendo tried that before with the Gamecube. Massively ore powerful than the PS2 and it outstripped the Xbox in many areas. Didn't exactly work out. All their success has been in consoles where they haven't competed with Microsoft and Sony.

They also tried to compete with the WiiU which was late to the party, another disaster.

Why would you buy a Nintendo machine that does the same as the xbox and PS4 when you own one already?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo tried that before with the Gamecube. Massively ore powerful than the PS2 and it outstripped the Xbox in many areas. Didn't exactly work out. All their success has been in consoles where they haven't competed with Microsoft and Sony.

They also tried to compete with the WiiU which was late to the party, another disaster.

Why would you buy a Nintendo machine that does the same as the xbox and PS4 when you own one already?

I believe he was being sarcastic…

• I do know that, I'm just saying why the portability part of it is not something that has any great appeal for me.

In theory you never have to bring it with you anywhere.
    Leave it in the dock.

The portability may not appeal to you but because both options are present it shouldn't be a negative factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Are you forgetting the following? These are big titles.

It depends what your definition of blockbuster title is. Like a title that is exclusive to that platform, that will get people to buy the console, and be remembered as a must buy and classic, that'd be my definition.

Arms is not that. Sure many bought it, but I'd argue that the vast majority owned a Switch anyway so picked it up. Only heard average to poor things from those I know who picked it up.

Splatoon 2 is closer, but again I don't count it as blockbuster.

Mario + Rabbids, come on! Cute, well received. Blockbuster?! Hell no.

Zelda for sure, IF it hadn't been a Wii U game.

Mario is for sure the first.

• It depends what your definition of blockbuster title is. Like a title that is exclusive to that platform, that will get people to buy the console, and be remembered as a must buy and classic, that'd be my definition.

Arms is not that. Sure many bought it, but I'd argue that the vast majority owned a Switch anyway so picked it up. Only heard average to poor things from those I know who picked it up.

Splatoon 2 is closer, but again I don't count it as blockbuster.

Mario + Rabbids, come on! Cute, well received. Blockbuster?! Hell no.

Zelda for sure, IF it hadn't been a Wii U game.

Mario is for sure the first.

Definition of a Blockbuster:
    Thing of great power or size, in particular a film, book, or other product that is a great commercial success.

We have already discussed sales which are a success.

Arms Currently holds 7.7 Metacritic score and 7.9 Userscore. Minority don't like it. Majority do.
    Mario & Rabbids Has a Metacritic score of 85 and a Userscore of 8.7. Minority don't like it. Majority do.
    Splattoon 2 Has a Metacritic score of 83 and a Userscore of 8.4. Minority don't like it. Majority do.

As for Zelda, it's between that and Mario for game of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,119 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I assumed he's not counting Zelda because it was available on WiiU?

I don't count it and many, many others. It's a Wii U port like so many other games on Switch. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Rayman Legends, Shovel Knight, Pokken Tournament, Lego City Undercover. Shantae, Little Inferno, Minecraft and so it goes on. Even look at some of the upcoming games from the little 3rd party support there is. Doom and Skyrim are old ports.

A lot of the developers haven't really backed the Switch. EA have only given us a watered down FIFA.

Capcom, a years old XBOX360 port of Street Fighter 2 with a tacked on piece of garbage first person mode. And ports of Revelations 1&2, but even that is gimped by having the second game as digital only. Again, that goes back to limited and expensive cartridge sizes. They're not giving us Monster Hunter: World or any of their other big franchises. I think they'll eventually announce a Western translation of XX, like they're some sort of hero.

Ubisoft, did you see their E3? It was phenomenal, we're getting F all from them. Garbage like Just Dance or smaller games like Uno or Monopoly. In addition to a couple of the ports listed above. Sure there was Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle but that's a collaboration. Where's their big games? Oh ya, they've Steep which they're struggling with porting to Switch. It's already a year old on other platforms where it's now half price but it'll be full price on Switch I'm sure if it ever sees the light of day. And so you could go on talking about many other 3rd party developers.

• Bethesda, cough cough

In theory you never have to bring it with you anywhere.
    Leave it in the dock.

The portability may not appeal to you but because both options are present it shouldn't be a negative factor.

Where did I say it was a negative factor? I said that it's something that wouldn't benefit me personally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement