Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone TCL 10 5G €319

• 28-09-2020 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Anyone got this phone?
    Vodafone seem to be the cheapest place to purchase it and was wondering how people are finding it?

It matches up spec wise very well with the Moto G 5G Plus and the OnePlus Nord as it has the same Snapdragon 765G chip

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10178&idPhone2=10307&idPhone3=10289

might get it an see if i can find an unlock for it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

They might come unlocked already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

rizzee wrote: »
    They might come unlocked already?

Would have thought any phone sold be a carrier is carrier locked?

From reviews it seems a cracking budget 5G phone to get into 5G with.
    Fairly stock android OS as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you can buy better phones than tcl for less its cpu is very weak and old.if you have bad cpu photos are not as good

https://www.kimovil.com/en/best-smartphones-moviles/most-wanted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    you can buy better phones than tcl for less its cpu is very weak and old.if you have bad cpu photos are not as good

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    you can buy better phones than tcl for less its cpu is very weak and old.

The CPU is less than a year old.

• Advertisement

The CPU is less than a year old.

Yea it's basically a brand new chip specially for 5G mid rang phones
    And none of the stuff he linked is in the same price bracket at all

woodyg wrote: »
    Would have thought any phone sold be a carrier is carrier locked?

Nah, not necessarily. Especially with some newer phones that are dual sim, they're all sim free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Depends on the phone and the network, some network sold dual SIM handsets have one slot locked, for example...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112084350&postcount=330

The lower the price, the more likely it is to be locked and Vodafone IRL phones cost more than other networks to unlock.

Compare Vodafone UK & IRL for unlock code prices and there's a noticeable difference between them.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Depends on the phone and the network, some network sold dual SIM handsets have one slot locked, for example...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112084350&postcount=330

The lower the price, the more likely it is to be locked and Vodafone IRL phones cost more than other networks to unlock.

Compare Vodafone UK & IRL for unlock code prices and there's a noticeable difference between them.

Didn't know that, must keep an eye out in the future if I ever going back to buying from a network, thanks!

OP: you could get a Nord for €388 (w/student discount) at the moment that should include some freebies (earphones and case), direct from Oneplus.

Didn't know that, must keep an eye out in the future if I ever going back to buying from a network, thanks!

OP: you could get a Nord for €388 (w/student discount) at the moment that should include some freebies (earphones and case), direct from Oneplus.

A looooong time since I was a student lol
    I looked at the nord and don't think it's worth the 60 price difference for what spec wise is a near identical phone.
    I'll most likely see if I can pick up a tcl in a brick store tomorrow and report in with an update in a couple of days

• Advertisement

woodyg wrote: »
    A looooong time since I was a student lol
    I looked at the nord and don't think it's worth the 60 price difference for what spec wise is a near identical phone.
    I'll most likely see if I can pick up a tcl in a brick store tomorrow and report in with an update in a couple of days

Just threw the Nord in as it's by an established brand and you're guaranteed regular updates for a while (I also have one, so half biased :D)

Yeah do, interested to know your opinion on it! It looks like a great phone anyhow. The 765G is like butter. Best of luck!

Just threw the Nord in as it's by an established brand and you're guaranteed regular updates for a while (I also have one, so half biased :D)

Yeah do, interested to know your opinion on it! It looks like a great phone anyhow. The 765G is like butter. Best of luck!

So it's not locked to a carrier
    In fact it's direct from TCL themselves and has the void if removed tape on it
    With that sim free 5g phone for €320 must be a bargain alert!

So far as said above the 765g chip has serious perf to it coupled with the 6gb ram an fast storage

I'll do a proper 1 week driver test post on Sunday
    But anyone looking for a new phone should take a good luck at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What's the Android experience like? Close to stock or do TCL put their own spin on it?

flazio wrote: »
    What's the Android experience like? Close to stock or do TCL put their own spin on it?

Pretty much stock from what I can tell
    There's a TCL launcher but yea can disable that straight away

so after a week of use i must say this is a fine phone at this price point
    it competes with the likes of the new pixel 5 which is €200 more expensive

performance wise the combo of the Snapdragon 765 CPU\6GB Ram and high speed ssd means you wont have any issues with lag, jutter and even mild gaming.

it's basically stock Android 10 apart from the camera app which uses TCLs

for anyone that is on the look out for a new phone i highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭pancyk

Got this phone from Three, switched from Vodafone for 159eur deal - serious bargain for a 5G phone

When I was checking coverage map, my house suppose to be in Three 5G range - but map is wrong, very poor 4G is my reality with Three.

Want to switch back to Vodafone, but phone is locked.

Any recommendations on some unlocking service ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

pancyk wrote: »
    Got this phone from Three, switched from Vodafone for 159eur deal - serious bargain for a 5G phone

When I was checking coverage map, my house suppose to be in Three 5G range - but map is wrong, very poor 4G is my reality with Three.

Very difficult to unlock Hutchinson (3) phones, any I owned when I was with 3 couldn't be unlocked, I ended up flogging them as locked to 3, their network has gone to the dogs completely.

I see this phone is down to €260 now, can a VF rtg customer like me get 5G or do I have to go bill pay? Don't fancy going billpay again.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I see this phone is down to €260 now, can a VF rtg customer like me get 5G or do I have to go bill pay? Don't fancy going billpay again.

Hi, unfortunately Vodafone don't offer 5G on PAYG plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

got this phone this morning , three's 5g service not showing up with existing 3 sim , any suggestions for unlocking or should i just send it back :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Tony H wrote: »
    got this phone this morning , three's 5g service not showing up with existing 3 sim , any suggestions for unlocking or should i just send it back :o

Are you getting any signal on Three? You need to purpase the 5G add-on to activate 5G servicee.

Are you getting any signal on Three? You need to purpase the 5G add-on to activate 5G servicee.
    I turned off automatically select network and
    all the 4g Inc "forbidden" networks are showing up ,the new SIM will probably show up Monday but when the ice melts a bit I might take a spin around, don't know if the 5g network will show up without paying the 5 euro add on

I turned off automatically select network and
    all the 4g Inc "forbidden" networks are showing up ,the new SIM will probably show up Monday but when the ice melts a bit I might take a spin around, don't know if the 5g network will show up without paying the 5 euro add on

On pre-pay, you have to buy the 5G add-on to get a chance of 5G connection.
    You can check if the 5G is around your neighborhood by this link https://www.three.ie/shop/coverage-check.html

the map coverage https://www.three.ie/coverage-checker/ is not accurate in my case, according to this map my house is within 5G reception, but when type in my postcode in to other 5G checker https://www.three.ie/shop/coverage-check.html -the answer was NO 5G:mad:

the map coverage shows I'm in range but the other checker you linked to says no , I'll have a spin near the towers later and check from there , I'm tempted to hold on to the phone even locked as I have good 4g with 3 and if the 5g shows up soon I'll be sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

the map coverage shows I'm in range but the other checker you linked to says no , I'll have a spin near the towers later and check from there , I'm tempted to hold on to the phone even locked as I have good 4g with 3 and if the 5g shows up soon I'll be sorted

If it's getting 4g/3g or even 2g signal on 3 then it's not locked. You're just not in a 5g area and/or haven't purchased the add-on. Always best to have network selection set to automatic.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

DopeTech wrote: »
    If it's getting 4g/3g or even 2g signal on 3 then it's not locked. You're just not in a 5g area and/or haven't purchased the add-on. Always best to have network selection set to automatic.

should have said it's a 3 phone ,just noticed it's a Vodafone thread , I has a spare SIM and ported it to get the phone for 160 on 3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have the old (better) PAYG plan then you dont get 5G.

ED E wrote: »
    If you have the old (better) PAYG plan then you dont get 5G.

but would 5g show up in a scan , the older 3 SIM is very handy all right ,keep the credit and I'm getting €10 free every month as well even comes in without a topup

I don't know, I suspect not as it's 5G NSA only at the minute in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I suspect not as it's 5G NSA only at the minute in Ireland.

thanks for that won't give up hope yet , hopefully I'll have the new SIM by Monday ,will check then .

well I got the new sim ,it was in the packaging , and went testing , there seems to be only one mast enabled for three in my area and it's about two miles away , did a speed test underneath it and got this ,
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/t4Vd35RYwJu7sv1v9

for those that live in Cobh it's at the top of Ticknock hill and I got a signal out as far as white point and beyond the gaa club with decent speeds , nothing like under the tower but at least 80MB/s , hopefully three will upgrade the other side of town soon

Atop Cobh 33kv sub. 80Mbps may indicate its radio linked and not properly fed. If they dropped in 10G of single mode it'd speed way up.

Atop Cobh 33kv sub. 80Mbps may indicate its radio linked and not properly fed. If they dropped in 10G of single mode it'd speed way up.

that's MB/s not Mb/s the speed test nearly took a gig of data

I got a call today from Vodafone to switch to BillPay with 5G

so for 25Eur/month :

Unlimited Calls and txt to Irish Mobiles and Landlines
    25GB Data with highest speed with 5G included
    50 international minutes
    free International txt

1st month is free
    contract duration 12 -months

I think this is cheapest plan with 5G that you can get ?

I got a call today from Vodafone to switch to BillPay with 5G

so for 25Eur/month :

Unlimited Calls and txt to Irish Mobiles and Landlines
    25GB Data with highest speed with 5G included
    50 international minutes
    free International txt

1st month is free
    contract duration 12 -months

I think this is cheapest plan with 5G that you can get ?

Looks to be a brilliant deal, feckers never ever ring me offering a deal like that...

• Advertisement

Looks to be a brilliant deal, feckers never ever ring me offering a deal like that...

You might try to call them and ask for "Simple Smart 25"

Capture.PNG

You might try to call them and ask for "Simple Smart 25"

Capture.PNG

My newly acquired Mi Note 10 Lite won't run 5g or will it?

My newly acquired Mi Note 10 Lite won't run 5g or will it?

If it's the Mi Note 10 Lite 5G version, you will benefit from 5G as long as you're in the 5G coverage

that's MB/s not Mb/s the speed test nearly took a gig of data

You're some sort of sadist.

Advertisement