Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godless - Netflix (**Spoilers**)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

I actually felt the same. The last episode descended into a total cliche and really failed to deliver on what it had built up.

Entertaining all the same, but I felt it was a very disappointing final act. I would've given it an A otherwise, but I'd be more inclined to give it a B overall taking the last episode in mind.

Finished this last night really enjoyed it overall. Love a good quality show that takes its own damn time at telling its story and it was so beautifully shot I was happy to be slowly immersed in its world. Reminded me of Boardwalk Empire in that respect.

Do Agree the ending, while well executed, was a little flat and predictable as I was expecting more of a twist.
    Whiteys ending felt like one they had to throw in to make up for the lack of other surprises
    One possibility which I was thinking could have been good was
    when Roy rides off at the end, he has the Indian ghost dude with him with some sort of a smart arse comment from the granny which would ambiguously suggest he might not have survived the showdown with Frank
    Anyway, despite that quibble, for my money, its the best of the (genuine) Netflix Originals to date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Late to the appreciation party but I just finished this and loved it .

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

A rattling good yarn. I loved it.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

On episode 4, watching it with my wife and really enjoying it. Thanks for the heads up on this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Bit of a bump I suppose! Watched episode 1 tonight. Promising start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

This is very very good. I can’t believe I missed it for so long and no one has posted about it in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Fantastic show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dots1982 wrote: »
    This is very very good. I can’t believe I missed it for so long and no one has posted about it in a year.

Well as you say, a year. In that time Netflix has released about 20 billion new shows, so it's no wonder something like Godless slipped into the bowels of UI hell on the service.

Content content content. No time to breath, gotta release more Content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well as you say, a year. In that time Netflix has released about 20 billion new shows, so it's no wonder something like Godless slipped into the bowels of UI hell on the service.

Content content content. No time to breath, gotta release more Content.
    Jesus thats so true these days, Id forgotten Id watched this until I googled it and it all came flooding back, its scary how much media we consume these days compared to back in the day waiting for the weekend trip to Xtravision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thargor wrote: »
    Jesus thats so true these days, Id forgotten Id watched this until I googled it and it all came flooding back, its scary how much media we consume these days compared to back in the day waiting for the weekend trip to Xtravision.

Oh it's utterly unreal; the amount of Content out there is insane; no sign of it getting better with every company and its mother gunning for a streaming service. I've been wondering if there's something like letterboxd for TV because I just can't keep track of what I've watched anymore - including Godless which I loved but then forgot about.

Like and Subscribe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

was thinking similar thoughts last month..
    Slydice wrote: »
    So many TV Shows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

This has been on my watch list for 3 years, but it took a little visit to hospital to finally watch it. Thoroughly enjoyed it, beautifully shot, excellently acted, strong story. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

pixelburp wrote: »
    Only halfway through and impressed with the show overall. The cinematography is particularly striking in places (one particular highlight that has stuck with me being
    the almost pitch-black saloon where the Marshall was shot, the strike of a match & lighting of a lamp the only illumination in the brief scene
    )

That scene was also a standout for me, reminded me of the train robbery scene in 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford', another great western.

Overall this was a very impressive piece of work, even better on repeated viewing. More than anything the screenplay by Frank is superb, the last screenplay I enjoyed so much was 'The Departed'. When researching the series I noticed an interesting link between the two, the casting director for Godless was also the casting director for The Departed.

The cast was uniformly excellent so hard to highlight individuals. That said Merritt Wever was electric anytime she was on screen.

Advertisement