Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate: Origins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

10 minute episodes, that's a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Where do you see the 10 minute thing? Although it being released in 2017 considering they have no footage to show and we've heard nothing about it before now does make it unlikely to be a full-fledged show.

Glad Stargate is coming back but it's a shame that they've decided upon a prequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A prequel???

Glad there's more Stargate, but not sure a prequel is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It looks like they've gone with an option to kind of please everyone, that is following Catherine Langford in her younger years investigating and experimenting on the gate.

It makes sense if you don't want to reboot or piss anyone off by contradicting either the movie or the series.

I guess that's what the 10-minute episode thing is about - without an active gate you won't be able to make good long episode, but you could make interesting shorts, like the loss of Ernest Littlefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Where do you see the 10 minute thing? Although it being released in 2017 considering they have no footage to show and we've heard nothing about it before now does make it unlikely to be a full-fledged show.

Glad Stargate is coming back but it's a shame that they've decided upon a prequel.

Just googled it, 10 episodes at 10mins each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Could lead to more. Remember how Sanctuary started.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'll give it a watch but not I'm not exactly excited for this. Especially, seeing as the episodes are only 10 minutes long. Hopefully, this is just a precursor to us getting a proper new series.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm disappointed it's only 10minute episodes but hopefully this will kick off something bigger.
    Imagine, a new Star Trek and a new Star Gate show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm disappointed it's only 10minute episodes but hopefully this will kick off something bigger.
    Imagine, a new Star Trek and a new Star Gate show.

Well, we are getting a new Star Trek show, what's it called again?

Oh yeah...

The Orville

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ellie Gall has signed on to play Catherine Langford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I also see they've cast Connor Trinner as her dad. He played Michael in Atlantis so it's a little surprising they'd reuse an actor whose been in multiple episodes - unusual even by Vancouver standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts February 15th 2018.

Anyone manage to see it yet? Tried to sign up and was met with a geoblock. Tried to go through my travel agent and my card wasn't accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Watched the first 3 episodes. acting is a bit gaff at times but its fun and will make you want to rewatch SG1 again

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭unhappyBB

The first 3 episodes scream low budget, almost fan made with an old camcorder. The acting was simply terrible. It was so hammy I thought the German general was going to just tie Catherine to some train tracks and cackle like some 1920s evil villain.

As nobody else seems to have watched it, (not really) spoilers...
    • The Stargate itself looks to be made of some kind of cheap plastic.
    • Cannon just went straight out the window.
    • The CGI guys obviously only knew how to use one water type effect for the wormhole entrance and nothing else. When the characters went "through" the gate they didn't emerge from it, they just appeared in front of it. You could practically see them stop and restart the camera.
    • Speaking of water, when they show Catherine going through the gate for the first time she doesn't even seem to try to hide the fact that she just held her breath a shoved her head into a dish of water.
    • And on Abidos, I've seen better sets/costumes at school plays.
    • The spinning camera shot at the end of the first webisode, WTF!?:confused:

After all that, you'd never guess that I actually loved all of the previous Stargates. This is such a disappointment, I was really looking forward to anything Stargate related.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Watched the first 3 episodes and wow, the acting, sets, CGI are really poor. Obviously it was really low budget but hopefully this leads to a proper series and it will have a decent budget meaning we get a much better quality show. Thank feck they're releasing them in batches because the first 2 end just as you're getting into it. I wonder are they going to come up with a way to stop this affecting canon (I really hope they don't give Langford amnesia or something stupid like that). Normally, I don't mind shows changing things that affect canon but these are some massive changes and it seems pretty pointless seeing as this show will probably go nowhere after these 10 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That wasn't great.

I think allo allo had less camp nazis, and then the reactions and criticism when they get it working. If you weren't sure if it was rock or not, you don't get to complain.

Only upside was the old worm hole visual returning and the frost on rematerialisation.

In SG1 they had it that the gate was used once before the movie, but while I don't remember the details that seemed to be a once off.

They put the original movie on YouTube too.

Varik wrote: »
    In SG1 they had it that the gate was used once before the movie, but while I don't remember the details that seemed to be a once off.

They sent Catherine Langford's fiance through (Ernest if I remember right) and he got trapped on the planet. In the episode SG1 and Catherine go to rescue him.

They sent Catherine Langford's fiance through (Ernest if I remember right) and he got trapped on the planet. In the episode SG1 and Catherine go to rescue him.

I remember that part, it's just the why it worked and then why it didn't work again.

From origins they have the point of origin which is what Daniel discovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I put this on the films board. Think it's part of the marketing campaign for Origins
    Slydice wrote: »

I remember that part, it's just the why it worked and then why it didn't work again.

From origins they have the point of origin which is what Daniel discovered.

Yeah, given what we've seen so far in origins, it removes the need for Daniel in the film altogether

Better than the first 3.

Tau'ri still means earthling which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Filing this firmly in the "Non canon fan fiction" folder. Beyond awful, SG1 must be rolling in its grave.

Inviere wrote: »
    Filing this firmly in the "Non canon fan fiction" folder. Beyond awful, SG1 must be rolling in its grave.

It spins a little faster every time they use that Goa'uld awful spinning outro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭corkie

STARGATE ORIGINS Ending and Original Movie Set-up Explained

SPOILERS for Origins included!

Not a new movie, and it is not like we need this explained in the first place?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement