Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasted opportunity to build bigger houses?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I doubt someone who makes 225k would aspire to one of those.
    Similarly this guy got a 35 year mortgage paying 4400 a month for this paying 1.2 million

https://www.thejournal.ie/pamela-flood-clontarf-home-tanager-4778181-Aug2019/?amp=1

Hahahaha apparantly it's worth 900k today which is farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

meijin wrote: »
    Just go to https://finder.eircode.ie/ and enter the eircode... it says Blackrock :rolleyes:

It's Leopardstown. Nobody there calls it Blackrock. You even have Deansgrange between yourself and Blackrock.

It's served by Blackrock post office, that's why it's on the Eircode, but this doesn't mean it's Blackrock in real life. Any estate agent who calls that anything other than Leopardstown, I'd either avoid entirely or I'd go in there with eyes in the back of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

KevRossi wrote: »
    ...but this doesn't mean it's Blackrock in real life...

I used to think the same. But then I realized that most people aren't from that area, so they don't know about traditional boundaries, so they'll all go by the official boundaries. Most locals won't even be aware of the official boundaries.

lomb wrote: »
    I doubt someone who makes 225k would aspire to one of those.....

Maybe someone on 225k grew up in the area, and wants to stay in it. Has family nearby etc. Often there's very little supply in these areas. When you buy a property it usually involves a load of compromises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

what really bugs me about this and other developments, why don't they ajoin the hallway in semi-d's , why ajoin the bedrooms and living room, soundproofing is always crap so at least a buffer from noise would mitigate the worst parts of living in a semi d.

Sound proofing can be a issue. The current standard is parged block laid on the flat and it can be ok ish if done right. Those houses are large and there is plenty of room to add extra sound insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

beauf wrote: »
    I used to think the same. But then I realized that most people aren't from that area, so they don't know about traditional boundaries, so they'll all go by the official boundaries. Most locals won't even be aware of the official boundaries.

Leopardstown Inn is 400m away.
    Leopardstown Racecourse is 800m away.
    Leopardstown is on every single road sign in the area. Signs for Blackrock point the other way.

I mean it could possibly even pass as Foxrock, but calling it Blackrock is just madness.

Its to do with the eircode routing codes

http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/A94.png

Can't anywhere with a decent overlay of this.

They had to rename the Phoenix Park Train station as people kept getting of it thinking it was near the park, its not even the nearest train station to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

They had to rename the Phoenix Park Train station as people kept getting of it thinking it was near the park, its not even the nearest train station to it.

is that the one on the navan road half way from the half way house to the m50?

M3 Parkway railway station.

Rolls off the tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sound proofing can be a issue. The current standard is parged block laid on the flat and it can be ok ish if done right. Those houses are large and there is plenty of room to add extra sound insulation.

Still isnt sufficient, slept on a couch after a session in a new A1 rated semi d, got woken up at 7am by a baby next door crying from an upstairs room.

Atleast if the hallways joined youd have atleast 4 meters of physical air space to insulate, joining bedrooms and living rooms in semis now with A rated not having chimneys is insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

M3 Parkway railway station.

Rolls off the tongue.

M3 parkway station is in Meath. the "Phoenix Park" station is inside the M50 and is now officially called Navan Road Parkway station, at least according to Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navan_Road_Parkway_railway_station

Always get them mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Still isnt sufficient, slept on a couch after a session in a new A1 rated semi d, got woken up at 7am by a baby next door crying from an upstairs room.

Atleast if the hallways joined youd have atleast 4 meters of physical air space to insulate, joining bedrooms and living rooms in semis now with A rated not having chimneys is insanity

It is crazy how even many expensive houses are semi detached.A guy I know spent 2 million on a house that's a semi. Persumably he had 1.5 million cash and borrowed the 500k. I just can't imagine having that sort of money and wishing to save money by sticking my house to someone else's. Humans are mind boggling creatures with very little logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It is crazy how even many expensive houses are semi detached.A guy I know spent 2 million on a house that's a semi. Persumably he had 1.5 million cash and borrowed the 500k. I just can't imagine having that sort of money and wishing to save money by sticking my house to someone else's. Humans are mind boggling creatures with very little logic.

Do you think these homes wont hold up their value?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sure some of the most expensive houses are Georgian terraces.

Price of a house obviously goes beyond simply how the building was constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sure some of the most expensive houses are Georgian terraces.

Price of a house obviously goes beyond simply how the building was constructed.

Location, location, location. In most locations close to the city center, the rebuild cost is less than half the house price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah imagine living on sorrento terrace with a house either side

what a pleb you would be :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I’d prefer to have the sitting rooms and bedrooms joined than the hall. Our previous house was a semi d with the hallways joined. The only noise we heard was when their kids ran up and down the stairs, you’d hear it a couple of times a day. In our current lockdown situation I’d imagine that would be very frequent. We moved a year ago into a similar aged bigger semi d with houses connected at the sitting room and bedrooms. Very rarely hear noise and when we do it’s maybe once a week when a child screens very very loudly but other than that you wouldn’t know there was someone next door.

No I know the above isn’t scientific and there are a number of reasons that this could be such as differences in sound insolation but personally I wouldn’t choose another house with hallways attached. I have friends that have had similar experiences

Advertisement