Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

this was our downfall in the games against westmeath, laois (first half ) and roscommon , also you must factor in the week 3 element we definitely had an advantage

we got a bit of a wake up call against laois last week our first half performance was terrible and had we lost today we were effectively relegated

i read here that we had our homework done , i know colm collins he is from the same parish as myself , he has copied and pasted an awful lot of the cavan module in recent years , he uses cavan and roscommon in references in team meetings regularly as ye are the only 2 teams making an impact on division 1 super 8 teams , also the style of football is nearly the same as what terry hyland used to play when cavan manager (the black death of Gaelic football according to joe brolly ) . he had his homework done as he has been keeping an eye on the progress ye have made since 2014 especially

the only way i can console ye lads is by asking ye to beat kildare in two weeks time in that astro sized pitch in newbridge , it keeps us safe for another week plus sends ye back on track in the promotion race .....you know it makes since;)

I don't think the 3 week element is as big a factor as some, including the We Are Cavan lads, are making it.

Clare looked to have taken the Black Death a step further than Cavan with your quick transition play. It's been a problem with this Cavan team for years now that we aren't direct enough and unfortunately that was the prevailing factor last weekend. Even when we needed scores at the end, there was no urgency and we meandered in the ball.

Armagh gave Fermanagh a good tonking in Brewster last night so it certainly throws doubts over our positioning with us making such hard work of them two weeks ago.

Armagh vs Roscommon will be interesting next week because they are the two form teams going into the final rounds.

From a purely selfish point of view, I wonder what way the current pandemic is affecting the travel plans of Dara McVeety and Conor Moynagh.

If you had Moynagh, Jason McLoughlin, McVeety and Niall Murray back in this team it’d make a remarkable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭rrs

Yeah, maybe in 2021 or thereabouts. Not going to be much ball this year. 6 counties on the same island still have pubs open, schools not closing until Monday. Peak of the virus in the UK expected to be June so...

Looks like the a League leader will be declared null and void like the ladies have done. I think that’ll suit us because if we have Murray and McVeety back next year, and Conor Smith and Pierson with more game time under their belts, we’re a far stronger proposition.

In fairness I wouldn't be bothered abouts football. This is a crisis and sport will be there in the future,a lot of people won't be.

• Advertisement

rrs wrote: »
    In fairness I wouldn't be bothered abouts football. This is a crisis and sport will be there in the future,a lot of people won't be.

I think that's a very negative view to have. I'm a football supporter and football will come back. You have to be positive and realize there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Good for you. Its a realistic view. It will come back but doubtful if this year.

Good for you. Its a realistic view. It will come back but doubtful if this year.

Very negative. State exams are expected to occur in late July/August with two weeks of classes before. Therefore the government clearly believe things will be approaching normality by July.

Areas of China were getting back to normal after 3 months and they had none of the preparation we had.

Taking March out of it even, that leaves April, May and June.

Regardless, like I said, I’d prefer to focus on hope rather than negativity and going on your last two posts I certainly wouldn’t like to be in earshot of such negativity whilst in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Very negative. State exams are expected to occur in late July/August with two weeks of classes before. Therefore the government clearly believe things will be approaching normality by July.

Areas of China were getting back to normal after 3 months and they had none of the preparation we had.

Regardless, like I said, I’d prefer to focus on hope rather than negativity and going on your last two posts I certainly wouldn’t like to be in earshot of such negativity whilst in isolation.

It's very unlikely there will be football this year. Whatever about some restrictions been lifted social distancing and bans on large gatherings will be in place until either this virus burns out or there is a vaccine. It's all well and good been positive but in reality things are going to be difficult for a long time.

You've got your head in the sand. You think football will go ahead because of exams?
    They have to go ahead, or students will repeat a year.

It started in China in November but only made public in January, and they used strict draconian measure for lockdown. It was also kept in the Wuhan territory. Not across all of China

They mentioned a vaccine will take 12 months. They can't even be sure of how they'll lift restrictions before then
    Europe is far worse then China

• Advertisement

You've got your head in the sand. You think football will go ahead because of exams?
    They have to go ahead, or students will repeat a year.

It started in China in November but only made public in January, and they used strict draconian measure for lockdown. It was also kept in the Wuhan territory. Not across all of China

They mentioned a vaccine will take 12 months. They can't even be sure of how they'll lift restrictions before then
    Europe is far worse then China

There are a number of inaccuracies in what you state above. The first death was recorded in China on 9th January yet you state it started in November? There is no proof the case in November was actually Covid-19, it may just have been.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/01/china-reports-death-mysterious-outbreak-wuhan-200111023325546.html

The government are expecting to have two weeks of classes before any exams. Therefore their expectation is obviously that the curve will flatten before then.

Regarding football going ahead because of exams, I am using the school exams as a guideline because it was the day the schools closed that most realised how serious the situation was.

We may see games go ahead with reduced crowds or even behind closed doors but I do think we’ll see games of some nature this year.

The death rate in China is a lot higher then what they portray. That's obvious. They had a figure of 3000 to make it look like it was not as serious. If you listen to any podcast they say it's more like 40,000

And the GAA are talking about playing the All Ireland championship in October to December. As a last resort as they knew they are screwed playing it in the summer.
    Even then October is in hope rather then expectation.. But carry on saying everything is negative..

There are a number of inaccuracies in what you state above. The first death was recorded in China on 9th January yet you state it started in November? There is no proof the case in November was actually Covid-19, it may just have been.

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/01/china-reports-death-mysterious-outbreak-wuhan-200111023325546.html

We may see games go ahead with reduced crowds or even behind closed doors but I do think we’ll see games of some nature this year.

That won't happen there will be no training or games until this is sorted.

celt262 wrote: »
    That won't happen there will be no training or games until this is sorted.

So the government will allow large number of students into a classroom environment come July but thirty lads won’t be allowed out into a large open area to train?

Spain is starting to reopen non essential work this week. Sweden didn’t close businesses at all.

We live in a capitalist world lads and greed will eventually take over. No country can afford to stall it’s economy indefinitely.

Anyway, back to football, interesting article here where Terry Hyland licks best 15 he has played with and managed:

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/04/11/news/from-raymond-galligan-to-larry-reilly-terry-hyland-picks-his-allstars-1898143/

And if things start going badly in the next month In Sweden, Ireland can follow the situation. They said a 2nd wave of the Virus can flare up, and any of those Countries slowly loosening estrictions will be back in full restriction mode again, if more cases appear.
    Will be many complications for a long time

The government want to get students in for 2 weeks to give students a chance to familiarise themselves, with the classroom. And get the exams done somehow. As it will only add more cost for the Government if they don't go ahead. Not like will all be sitting close to each other. They'll have everything done to a distance.

So the government will allow large number of students into a classroom environment come July but thirty lads won’t be allowed out into a large open area to train?
    /

Will see about that when the time comes.

Drivetime on RTE Radio 1 on Friday evening gave a inkling of what the future of public gathering and sporting events in Ireland could be like in 2020.

During an interview between presenter Mary Wilson and Cork based Dr Chris Luke, the issue of society returning to something approaching normal after the current lockdown due to Covid-19 was discussed

Wilson asked: “Would we still be in a situation where we wouldn't have any large gatherings, the GAA championships if you like?”

In response Dr Chris Luke answered: “I would be very, very surprised if we could return to that even within 12-months. I'm certainly thinking something with regards to September with regards to anything of an easing (of current restrictions on group gatherings).”

Dr Luke tempered his answer by saying “I'm not a public health scientist, I'm an emergency physician with an interest in public health. I don't want to speculate too much on that.

“This will not be a binary situation... there will not be a light switch, it will not be suddenly back to normal.”

You can listen to the interview here: https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/11177753 (the segment in question is around the 16 minute mark).

Many sporting organisations are already planning a return to action, possibly behind closed doors. German Bundesliga teams have already returned to training in restricted situations.

However, in an article in Sports Illustrated it was argued by Zach Binney, a PhD in epidemiology that there will be no sports with spectators until a vaccine for Covid-19 is found.

He also advised that it would be nearly impossible to play sports behind closed doors in a manner which would guarantee that players were not at risk of infection.
    https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/310034

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Very very sad News
    2 good lads by all accounts
    Thinking of there families and friends, hope they look after each other

May they rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

OTB running a County by County Mount Rushmore, for anyone who has't heard it, and exercise in identifying each counties 4 best sports people.

Our two neighbours have featured:

Meath; Sean Boylan, Mick Lyons, Graham Geraghty, Johnny Murtagh
    Monaghan: Tommy Bowe, Barry McGuigan, Brenda McAnespie and Nudie Hughes.

Anyone willing to take a stab at Cavan, for me:

Cathriona McKiernan - Absolutely world class, 4 world cross country silvers, fastest ever debut marathon, winner of the Dublin, London, Berlin and Amsterdam marathons. Top drawer

John Joe O'Reilly - Team of the Millenium, Twice All Ireland winning captain, 11 Ulster Titles, four railway cups and 9 senior club titles.

Paul Brady - 5 World handball championship titles, a plethora of other victories, 3 senior club titles, world class

4th place?

Charlie Gallagher
    Mick Higgins
    PJ Duke
    Cillian Sheridan
    Craig Lynch
    Jim Smith

I'm sure there are others I've missed or done a disservice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Thunderbirds

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    OTB running a County by County Mount Rushmore, for anyone who has't heard it, and exercise in identifying each counties 4 best sports people.

Cathriona McKiernan - Absolutely world class, 4 world cross country silvers, fastest ever debut marathon, winner of the Dublin, London, Berlin and Amsterdam marathons. Top drawer

John Joe O'Reilly - Team of the Millenium, Twice All Ireland winning captain, 11 Ulster Titles, four railway cups and 9 senior club titles.

Paul Brady - 5 World handball championship titles, a plethora of other victories, 3 senior club titles, world class

4th place?

Charlie Gallagher
    Mick Higgins
    PJ Duke
    Cillian Sheridan
    Craig Lynch
    Jim Smith

Leona Maguire
    Leanne Kiernan
    Andy Murray
    Kiera Smith
    Tom Brady

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Leona Maguire
    Leanne Kiernan
    Andy Murray
    Kiera Smith
    Tom Brady

Jim McDonnell

Paul the Gunner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quidel

Gallant_JJ wrote: »

4th place?

Charlie Gallagher
    Mick Higgins
    PJ Duke
    Cillian Sheridan
    Craig Lynch
    Jim Smith

The first 3 names you’ve offered, C McKiernan, John Joe O’Reilly and Paul Brady I’d wholeheartedly agree with. Choosing the 4th name is what will prompt good debate.

No mention for McCabe or Ollie Brady? Cavans only All Stars.

It's probaly that McCabe isn't as well liked. He was a very good footballer. Roy Keane is on the Cork Mountrushmore and he's a divisive figure. But was a top class player.

It's also more relative then the 40, 50s and 60s when not many saw that era. But some of the players like Charlie Gallagher and John Joe Reilly deserve to be mentioned.
    I read the book on Charlie Gallagher and Cavan were strolling through Ulster for a good ,until the education system changed in the North and the northern teams became stronger. Down became a force in the 60d.

Cavan had 38 Ulster titles during that era of dominance, but 5 All Irelands which wasn't a high return.

It's probaly that McCabe isn't as well liked. He was a very good footballer. Roy Keane is on the Cork Mountrushmore and he's a divisive figure. But was a top class player.

It's also more relative then the 40, 50s and 60s when not many saw that era. But some of the players like Charlie Gallagher and John Joe Reilly deserve to be mentioned.
    I read the book on Charlie Gallagher and Cavan were strolling through Ulster for a good ,until the education system changed in the North and the northern teams became stronger. Down became a force in the 60d.

Cavan had 38 Ulster titles during that era of dominance, but 5 All Irelands which wasn't a high return.

John Joe O'Reilly 2 All Ireland's,11 Ulster Titles, 1 NFL I don't think there is much debate that he wouldn't be in the top 4.

In 1984, the GAA's centenary year he was named at centre half-back on the Football Team of the Century. In 1999 he was again honoured by the GAA by being named on their Gaelic Football Team of the Millennium.

The likes of John Joe and Charlie Gallagher are two players who i would have loved to have seen play.

He's worth the inclusion many accolades of course. But still bizarre that McCabe wasn't mentioned. Cavan hadn't won an Ulster title since 69, before the win in 97 and haven't won one since. McCabe and the 97 team would have given some hope to the young players.

He's worth the inclusion many accolades of course. But still bizarre that McCabe wasn't mentioned. Cavan hadn't won an Ulster title since 69, before the win in 97 and haven't won one since. McCabe and the 97 team would have given some hope to the young players.

What about Stephen King then struggled away for years on average teams and finally captained the team to an Ulster.

• Advertisement

His name will likely be mentioned in the conversation tomorrow. Larry Reilly too.

Advertisement