Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young workers' career prospects and mandatory retirement of older workers.

Options
  • 20-07-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

Is it right to have mandatory retirement of workers in their 60s whose jobs are not physically demanding, e.g. broadcasting, public-sector clerical work?

Is mandatory retirement intended to improve younger workers' prospects of promotion? If so, then younger workers would be very foolish to be dependent on promotion for affordability to pay mortgages.

It's unfair to punish workers in their 60s for any problems that their younger colleagues might have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Is it right to have mandatory retirement of workers in their 60s whose jobs are not physically demanding, e.g. broadcasting, public-sector clerical work?

Is mandatory retirement intended to improve younger workers' prospects of promotion? If so, then younger workers would be very foolish to be dependent on promotion for affordability to pay mortgages.

It's unfair to punish workers in their 60s for any problems that their younger colleagues might have.

Is it right not to have mandatory retirement for people who have already put in 30/40 years of work and taxes into the system... My work is not physically demanding, but christ, I’m outta there as soon as I can retire.

I’d imagine most people want out by there 60’s... when your young you can never see that, regardless if you love your job or not...there is only so much work a person can and should have to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd go at 50 if it was possible, there's more to life than work and we're all only ever a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

people should have the option to retire or not, i have worked with lads that were not ready for retirement and didnt want to, but were forced to, its common for some of these lads to go down quickly after retirement. increasing debt levels is a byproduct of thinking such things as, ever rising asset prices is a good thing, only thats it not really, particularly while keeping wage inflation relatively low in comparison, clearly obvious in the property sector, the fire sectors (finance, insurance and real estate) sectors have a lot to answer for, for these outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

People who want to work into their 70s should be “allowed” to do so, they’ve obviously got nothing else to be doing.

Sad really, but a “reality” for many.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

People who want to work into their 70s should be “allowed” to do so, they’ve obviously got nothing else to be doing.

Sad really, but a “reality” for many.

They should and they shouldn’t be.. we have staff member in there late 50’s early 60’s.. waiting to serve out their time and in a lot of instances they can’t keep up with the pace anymore, every year we have younger staff hoping to make a name for themselves, non physical work doesn’t mean low pressure, depends on the industry to be honest. My work is high stress/pressure environment , I know I don’t have another 20 years left in me at this rate, and I’ve another 25 until I can look at retirement, 30 odd before state pension... a lot of jobs are just slowly killing people....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t get this? Who’s punishing anyone? Surely the workers in their 60’s now will have been aware of the fact that there is a mandatory retirement age in public services since they were the younger colleagues? In any case the age at which employees are forced to retire has nothing to do with attracting young people into public service jobs. That’s entirely young people’s own choice to apply for public sector jobs over private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gogo wrote: »
    They should and they shouldn’t be.. we have staff member in there late 50’s early 60’s.. waiting to serve out their time and in a lot of instances they can’t keep up with the pace anymore, every year we have younger staff hoping to make a name for themselves, non physical work doesn’t mean low pressure, depends on the industry to be honest. My work is high stress/pressure environment , I know I don’t have another 20 years left in me at this rate, and I’ve another 25 until I can look at retirement, 30 odd before state pension... a lot of jobs are just slowly killing people....

we re currently experiencing rapidly rising mental health issues largely due to work related stress, forcing the workforce to increase 'productivity' could very well be at its limit, if not past it, we ve also decided it would be best not to properly fund our mental health service, im sure it ll work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

all about priorities based on choices

in my view , its more important to offer the young employment opportunities than maintaining - prolonging the employment of those in their sixties who nearly always have a pension of some kind to retire to

those in their sixties are on average in a much stronger position and the state is much more generous towards them , the young dont get the breaks too often so this should be one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

I don’t get this? Who’s punishing anyone? Surely the workers in their 60’s now will have been aware of the fact that there is a mandatory retirement age in public services since they were the younger colleagues? In any case the age at which employees are forced to retire has nothing to do with attracting young people into public service jobs. That’s entirely young people’s own choice to apply for public sector jobs over private sector.

RTÉ cited younger employees' promotional prospects as a justification for its mandatory retirement policy in the case taken against it by Valerie Cox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

RTE were taking the piss,as usual. About 20 years ago, Ms Cox and several other freelancers were essentially forced to change to full time staff status or else be cut off from RTE work. Some of the freelancers had good gigs outside RTe and weren't about to give them up so some of them left RTE. Ms.Cox didnt have that option and resented being forced out from an organisation that had forced her to change tack 20 years before that. RTE wanted it both ways, of course and pursued a course of action that would get them done for bullying these days. It's easier to bully freelancers than it is to try it against a union member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Life expectancy is going up and up and people are by and large much "fresher" for their age now than they were before.

Wtf are we supposed to do for 30+ years of retirement every day

Given my health is good I'd keep working and earning away and retire when I feel I'm not physically able or its "just my time"

But given my age, 22, I know Im too young to have become embittered by my work 😅 Seriously though I'd be bored off my head without a job or some project

Advertisement