Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been on a flight?

• 21-04-2020 3:25pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If so how did it go?

I've not been on one myself unfortunately and don't think I'd fare well either.

Was watching some flights on reddit and some were brutal. Ive not seen anything overly rough here either - mostly sitting around and a lot of shouting.

But it seems with the popularity of Ryanair etc there seems to be a lot more flying and trying to land on to on ground now and taxi-ing.

So, how did your flights go and what was the worst or funniest you've seen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

iamstop wrote: »
    If so how did it go?

Was watching some flights on reddit and some were brutal. Ive not seen anything overly rough here either - mostly sitting around and a lot of shouting.

But it seems with the popularity of Ryanair etc there seems to be a lot more flying and trying to land on to on ground now and taxi-ing.

Threads like this is why After Hours is gone to pot

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Wat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Wouldn’t be surprised if flying is statistically the safest mode of transport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Have you a fever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,422 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Need to put your faith in the science and the stats and not worry about the mechanics of the how .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This is like something you might say in the 1950s. Jaysus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Moderator of what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭SQLDBA

lawred2 wrote: »
    Moderator of what?

Aviation forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Tefral

iamstop wrote: »
    If so how did it go?

Th ones online are posted because something happened and they make for interesting viewing. The vast bulk of flights are just boring A to B. If your lucky you'll go longhaul and get free booze.

I have been on all sorts of flights including aborted landings, flying through crazy storms in Thailand, landing and taking off on ice, water etc.

Im still alive.

Scientific evidence shows its one of the safest ways to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

These things go down, these things go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Got moved to the seat by the emergency exit once. The legroom was incredible. It's been tough going back to regular seats after. If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

This is like something you might say in the 1950s. Jaysus...

In the mid-90s, there was an episode of the Late Late Show where immediately after the show, everybody in the audience was given a trip on a specially chartered Aer Lingus flight for a short journey from Dublin Airport and back again. For a lot of them, it was a genuine 'once in a lifetime' experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Nostalgia in advance of us not being able to go on a plane anytime soon, very good, very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

vicwatson wrote: »
    Threads like this is why After Hours is gone to pot

By a Mod no less...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Russell D. Woodcock

Dear iamstop

I boarded my first flight in 1964 in London. A BOAC Comet 4 directly to Egypt. I'm half-deaf now as a result on the noise of the engines from flights in those early days.

But air travel was a damn sight more pleasurable back then. A far more civilised affair. You could have a smoke on the plane, the seats were more comfortable and the trolley dollies were always easy on the eye.

Oh yes. Wonderful times indeed. Particularly if you spotted a randy minx with a glint in her eye. The Russler often had the pleasure of sharing his hotel room on the African continent with pert and playful air hostesses.

Best regards,

Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

In the mid-90s, there was an episode of the Late Late Show where immediately after the show, everybody in the audience was given a trip on a specially chartered Aer Lingus flight for a short journey from Dublin Airport and back again. For a lot of them, it was a genuine 'once in a lifetime' experience.

Back in the 80s the average one way flight to London from Dublin set you back around 200 punts.

That was a week wages for somebody in a well paid job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I usually slip half a Valium before I get on the plane and pass out... I hate sitting still for hours. Tho one week I was at a wedding in Rome, I spent the last night drinking till 5, and then bunched up in a ryan air flight for 3 hours followed by a 30 min buss followed by a 2 and half hour train.

I never wanted to puke **** and cry so much in all my life.

I've learned when travelling don't drink, lots of vodka the last night.. :D

Introduced me to sky vodka and gray goose both of which I enjoy a lot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Been in a few dust ups alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Why fly when you can walk on water?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Few fights ended up in court.convicted for assault.dont do it,just walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Easy known the schools are shut.

Advertisement