Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will the 2010s be remembered??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Big Words

Middle age men getting tattooed of boy band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Nobody mentioned Tinder? Definitely a "social event". In generations to come, think of all the couples telling their grandchildren how they met on Tinder.

Yeah, the grandchildren from one of multiple partners if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

The 2010s will be remembered for the decade that started us on the path to 1984 (Orwells 1984).

Tech this, Smart that. By the time people cop on it will be too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Stuff like this. Advertisement & media are complete nothingness at this point.

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1103024004481327105?s=19

Eggs are one of the healthiest foods :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Era of Faux Outrage, where egomaniacs pretend to give a **** just so they can feel good about themselves, when in reality they contribute absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The decade of laziness. When 'journalists' stopped writing articles and started compiling tweets to make a story.

When 'Musicians' became too lazy to even program a drum machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

AMKC wrote: »

For climate change,

Yeah 2014 when the climate changed - never forget.

Hold on - maybe I'm getting mixed up with that Mayan calendar thing.

All that chicken licken stuff - it's hard to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

In early 2009, Facebook had 190m active user accounts worldwide. Today it has 2.4b

All changed, changed utterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

It shall be known as the Decade of Darkness, the Years of Yearning and the "Great Trembling".

No one shall be permitted to speak of it. All content and information of it shall be wiped from the Internet. Those who survive next year will make a blood pact to never speak of the real truth for generations to come. Those who do slip up will quietly be taken away to an underground cavern and administered a painless but lethal drug so they may hold their tongues forever. The world will slowly move on, recover and build itself anew.

Or Trump will press the button and the world will explode and everyone will die. The End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The 2010's; that time we still thought we had a chance to save the gaff.
    The 2020's; that time when all the animals died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,508 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Also in the 2020s will we be able to refer to them as the 20s? Or the second 20s?
    The twenty twenties will be the Vision in Hindsight decade. ;)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

This decade I will mostly be offended by everything and anything by some randomer online.
    And at the same time barely bat an eyelid when a kid gets stabbed while spending some time with her mates in a park.

Wheres the moral compass and how can I reset it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Orgamoplum wrote: »
    The decade people turned into screen staring zombies.

The decade the web destroyed everything. The death of rural towns in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The farce known as Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

mickdw wrote: »
    Too much green nonsense.

That won't be remembered because nobody listens and we'll all die from the effects of climate change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

The decade Britain ate itself

Maybe it will be remembered as the decade the UK escaped from the E.U. and got its freedom and independence back. And the 20's will be when the EU, like the Soviet Union did in its day, fell apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

janfebmar wrote: »
    Maybe it will be remembered as the decade the UK escaped from the E.U. and got its freedom and independence back. And the 20's will be when the EU, like the Soviet Union did in its day, fell apart.

Sure Jan

Well, nobody expected the Soviet Union to fall apart, and some countries to break away from the core.

And with a new EU army already being planned by the likes of Germany and France, it will be interesting to see how the 2010's will be remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It,ll be remembered as the time social media and smartphone apps took off , people take selfies, people go for meal and look at their phones, privacey is nearly obsolete ,at any social function or party
    people take photographs .IF you go to a wedding your photo will be on facebook ,even if you never use it.
    i Think its the decade of information overload,
    we have acess to more media or data then we can usefully understand.
    Yes ,theres a few journalists who just make storys out of
    tweets and random images on social media .
    I,m not an expert but i read we maybe have 10 years left to safe the planet In terms of stopping global warming and rising sea levels .
    I think its a tough time for young people , theres loads of jobs going,
    but rents are going up, its getting harder to buy a house.
    if things do not get better i think the birth rate will go down.
    People are getting married later .
    There seems to be no sign of a solution to the homeless crisis .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

really was a ****e decade where the crazies took over the Asylum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

branie2 wrote: »
    The Jack Reacher novels

They are around since the mid 1990's?

They are around since the mid 1990's?

Yeah, you're right. My Mistake.

Rise of transgender people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The number of low post accounts whinging about the EU, immigration, climate change not being real etc. has gotten really high. I spent a bit of time away from AH, so maybe it was a gradual thing or was it a sudden thing? Maybe there are more 'grumpy old folk' stereotypes about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2010's :: The Rise Of The Snowflake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

If 'woke' politics has dominated this decade I wonder what the political climate will be like next decade?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Well that's the 2010s officially over.

New decade begins. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Well that's the 2010s officially over.

New decade begins. :cool:

So back to the original OP.

Beards.
    Tight jeans.
    No socks.
    Climate change.

• For me the 10s was a decade when I just got older and achieved nothing.
    Internationally, it will be remembered for Trump and Brexit.
    In Ireland it will be remembered as the decade that finished with NI having more nationalist than unionist MPs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 tiktoktoegirl

hopefully it won’t be remembered

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The big snow of 2018. So many bread memes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The decade where the crash made everyone realize law and govt policy affect them daily and made people very political.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Nothings really happened, especially culturally, if you were born in 1996 there'd be music from then which could come out now and you wouldn't know the difference as a 23 year old, I was born in 72 and in 1996 it was massively different.

dd973 wrote: »
    Nothings really happened, especially culturally, if you were born in 1996 there'd be music from then which could come out now and you wouldn't know the difference as a 23 year old, I was born in 72 and in 1996 it was massively different.

I don't think this is true..with music especially, I think harmonically and structurally music has changed significantly..It being written on computers has not helped..(It hasn't gotten better..)

But yeah, I don't actually want to remember the last decade..

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

Looking forward to 2020. I think the tens passed by me due to age and looking after others up and coming or on the other side. ...
    I've got a feeling
    This year's for me and you
    So happy Christmas
    I love you baby
    I can see a better time
    When all our dreams come true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Hopefully very badly. Otherwise it will mean things didn't improve afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

All this transgender nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

The decade which officaly killed the Internet thanks largely through the rise of social media.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Whatever about social media, the web has been ruined by cookie notifications, GDPR, location attempts etc.

Browsing is a horror these days. Bring back the wild West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A depressing drift to the right

smilerf wrote: »

This past decade will be remembered as an era of civil rights. Go back in your box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

An annoying rich kid from Sweden bladdering on about stolen dreams.

An annoying rich kid from Sweden bladdering on about stolen dreams.

Our last chance to stop the decline of our beautiful planet, and the rise of idiocracy in world leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Our last chance to stop the decline of our beautiful planet, and the rise of idiocracy in world leadership.

You better hope sleepy Joe Biden isn't elected so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You better hope sleepy Joe Biden isn't elected so.

Ah shur tis looking like trump again, yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

smilerf wrote: »

And this transgender children. I hope the new decade China will replace soon as possible USA and their transgender culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

The decade when "thoughts and prayers" were replaced by "sending positive vibes"

What is the difference, exactly? Except the removal of prayer, of course. We can't have people doing archaic things like praying, now can we?
    Instead let's use our energy to send positive vibes to bereaved people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Kony 2012

Although his follow up never quite captured the imagination like his debut release did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Terrorist attacks in Europe

Irish people protesting in person and online .....everything from water charges to ridiculous printers etc etc
    Think it started with the figures being released about bonuses and payments to Anglo Irish in 2010

Brexit

Donald Trump

• Advertisement
Advertisement