Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where have all the weather men gone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Breezy, sunny spells with a chance of showers

repeat x 365

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Breezy, sunny spells with a chance of showers

repeat x 365

I knew you couldn't resist Gerald!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

A bit of skirt is more appealing than a qualified meteorologist who knows what they're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Which one used to give the little wink when he finished his spiel?

"A very good evening *wink* and goodbye"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A bit of skirt is more appealing than a qualified meteorologist who knows what they're talking about.

Siobhan Ryan has it all so.

• Advertisement

Which one used to give the little wink when he finished his spiel?

"A very good evening *wink* and goodbye"

That was Gérard "the winking weatherman" Fleming. In fairness to him it was a nice little ploy and made him very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Interesting!!!!!......but as a lady and a license payer myself...... who loves to know about the weather too...... and a lover of a bit of Evelyn or Jean......... I do miss the gentleman's delivery. Where are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I've never (and will never) forgive Sky for giving Francis Wilson the heave-ho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,210 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Interesting!!!!!......but as a lady and a license payer myself...... who loves to know about the weather too...... and a lover of a bit of Evelyn or Jean......... I do miss the gentleman's delivery. Where are they?

Have you seen some of the weather presenters on TG4?

There's your answer, like freakin' models they are, both men and women! For some reason they RTE doesn't want to stick them in front of a camera on RTE1 and instead settles for the farmers favourites - Evelyn and Jean :rolleyes:

Just be grateful they're not Martin King! It's a freakin' weather forecast, not an audition for the next dryballs lotto presenter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

This has been bothering me also. A bit of skirt is all well and good, but this is the weather we're talking about!

The person delivering it better be a qualified meteorologist. If they get it wrong there will be anarchy!

ANARCHY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,743 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Jean is good enough for me.

Give her a belt of the wand too, so I would.

Always gives moist steamy weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'll just leave this here, so.

Good old Arthur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Gerard has gone onto a Senior management post in RTÉ.

I personally don't think you need a degree in meteorology to read from a teleprompt.

It was agreed with RTE and Met Eireann that the main news bulletins would be conducted by qualified staff, but other weather bulletins could be presented by non-qualified.

Personally I'd be happy if part of my licence fee was used to bring that girl over from Mexican TV.

I'd certainly look forward to the monthly full moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Totofan99 wrote: »
    The person delivering it better be a qualified meteorologist.

Why? Can someone else not prepare the script? The same as they do for news readers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

All the weather presenters on RTE are meteorologists, including Jean.

The both prepare and present the forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Candie wrote: »

Nuala Carey, Helen Curran and the rest are qualified meteorologists now ?
    post #16 explains it, I don't think RTE have had a single man among the non-qualified weather presenters ever since that policy started

parasite wrote: »
    Nuala Carey, Helen Curran and the rest are qualified meteorologists now ?
    post #16 explains it, I don't think RTE have had a single man among the non-qualified weather presenters ever since that policy started

A sexy policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

That was Gérard "the winking weatherman" Fleming. In fairness to him it was a nice little ploy and made him very popular.

he was on that awful Ploughing Live show that RTE did back in September, where the presenters kept looking at the wrong camera. missing their cues etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

he was on that awful Ploughing Live show that RTE did back in September, where the presenters kept looking at the wrong camera. missing their cues etc

Ploughing Live was one of the finest pieces of programming produced by RTE this year. That Marty Morrissory is a wonderful character, we need him on our screens more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What qualifies one as a meteorologist? Can you do it as a full time level 8 degree or is there a shorter training course?

What qualifies one as a meteorologist? Can you do it as a full time level 8 degree or is there a shorter training course?

The winking weather man is a nuclear scientist on the side.
    Siobhan Ryan has a rake of degrees.
    Don't know about the rest or what makes them end up in the Met Office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

So long as the words are the correct words and read in the correct order (i.e., prepared by someone who understands the report), why would it matter?

It's like expecting the dragons on Game of Thrones to be played by actual dragons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DivingDuck wrote: »
    So long as the words are the correct words and read in the correct order (i.e., prepared by someone who understands the report), why would it matter?

It's like expecting the dragons on Game of Thrones to be played by actual dragons.

Everyone on screen is supposed to be writing their own forecast scripts as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wait a minute... What are you implying? :eek:

Everyone on screen is supposed to be writing their own forecast scripts as far as I know.

But what does it matter if they aren't? So long as accurate (as accurate as an Irish forecast can ever be, at least) information is presented, why would anyone care if the person delivering that information can explain how it was derived?

They will never get into the intricacies of meteorology during a brief TV forecast; it's not relevant to their audience. Even if they did, a presenter could still delivery the information accurately by reading or learning a script, just like actors do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Candie wrote: »

The both prepare and present the forecasts.

Nuala Carey isn't. There was also a girl there called Ursula Bracken who left a couple of years back. Before working in RTE she was a school teacher and had no meteorological qualification. The majority of presenters do have the qualification but its certainly not all of them

Wait a minute... What are you implying? :eek:

They're actually stunt dragons.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

(The officers on the bridge of the Enterprise aren't real Star Fleet officers, either. Sorry, man.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I was in the studio a few years ago and there was no teleprompter. I don't know how the non-qualified people make their reports but the meteorologists have a separate office they use to get the latest reports and forecasts and then practice it a bit before winging it before the cameras, no scripts written, only slides prepared.

You can't properly see your slides either once you start, it's just a bluescreen behind you and the television screens showing what's happening are located off to the side so you can't look at them since you have to look straight ahead into the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yeah John Creedon was on the other night and nuala carey showed him the ropes,that bluescreen is strange alright btw where is Audrey Mcgrath gone?

• Advertisement

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/healthandlife/yourhealth/the-shape-im-in-siobhan-ryan-broadcast-meteorologist-321895.html

This is a very interesting interview with siobhan Ryan where she discuss how tough being a meteorologist actually is. She doesn't get a telle prompter and she also works 12 hour night shifts in met erinn.

I think it makes a big difference. If you compare the likes of evlyn cusack with a weather presenter that isn't qualified/any of the crowd on tv3 there's no contest.

Cusack regularly explains what various isobar formations and other things mean and it can be very interesting. Compare that to someone whos reading off a telle prompter and you can tell they haven't a Frank and Sue what they are talking about.

I think it makes a big difference. If you compare the likes of evlyn cusack with a weather presenter that isn't qualified/any of the crowd on tv3 there's no contest.

Cusack regularly explains what various isobar formations and other things mean and it can be very interesting. Compare that to someone whos reading off a telle prompter and you can tell they haven't a Frank and Sue what they are talking about.

There is absolutely nothing preventing these explanations from being included in pre-written prompt text or learned lines beforehand, though. If they're intended to be simple enough that the general public can understand them, I see no reason why a presenter couldn't understand them enough to read them with clarity and conviction.

...And even if they can't, they can still read them out. Do you think the actors on CSI or Big Bang Theory understand half of their lines? I would doubt it. It doesn't stop them from being considered convincing enough that millions of people tune in every week.

There is absolutely nothing preventing these explanations from being included in pre-written prompt text or learned lines beforehand, though. If they're intended to be simple enough that the general public can understand them, I see no reason why a presenter couldn't understand them enough to read them with clarity and conviction.

...And even if they can't, they can still read them out. Do you think the actors on CSI or Big Bang Theory understand half of their lines? I would doubt it. It doesn't stop them from being considered convincing enough that millions of people tune in every week.
    They are professional actors and most are stage trained, there's a big difference between that and a bit of eye candy from Dalkey who's simply there for her looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Bob Dylan knew ........ Subterranean Lovesick Blues ..........

Johnny's in the basement
    Mixing up the medicine
    I'm on the pavement
    Thinking about the government
    The man in the trench coat
    Badge out, laid off
    Says he's got a bad cough
    Wants to get it paid off
    Look out kid
    It's somethin' you did
    God knows when
    But you're doing it again
    You better duck down the alleyway
    Lookin' for a new friend
    The man in the coonskin cap,in the big pen
    Wants eleven dollar bills but you only got ten

Maggie comes fleet foot
    Face full of black soot
    Talkin' that the heat put
    Plants in the bed but
    The phone's tapped anyway
    Maggie says that many say
    They must bust in early May
    Orders from the D.A. look out kid
    Don't matter what you did
    Walk on your tip toes
    Don't try "No Doz"
    Better stay away from those
    That carry around a fire hose
    Keep a clean nose
    Watch the plain clothes
    You don't need a weather man
    To know which way the wind blows
    :pac:

Get sick, get well
    Hang around a ink well
    Ring bell, hard to tell
    If anything is goin' to sell
    Try hard, get barred
    Get back, write braille
    Get jailed, jump bail
    Join the army, if you fail
    Look out kid
    You're gonna get hit
    But losers, cheaters
    Six-time users
    Hang around the theaters
    Girl by the whirlpool
    Lookin' for a new fool
    Don't follow leaders, watch the parkin' meters

Ah get born, keep warm
    Short pants, romance, learn to dance
    Get dressed, get blessed
    Try to be a success
    Please her, please him, buy gifts
    Don't steal, don't lift
    Twenty years of schoolin'
    And they put you on the day shift
    Look out kid
    They keep it all hid
    Better jump down a manhole
    Light yourself a candle
    Don't wear sandals
    Try to avoid the scandals
    Don't want to be a bum
    You better chew gum
    The pump don't work
    'Cause the vandals took the handles

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was 'nothing to write home about'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement