Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish House Oddities

Options
  • 22-10-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to someone recently and got talking about the state of Irish houses and how badly built they were over the last 20 or so years. For example, you can clearly hear the neighbour doing his business next door in a lot of modern houses. We got talking about some weird things that Irish houses have, like the immersion. It was hard to explain what this magical switch does and the financial danger it poses.

Another oddity is having a tank in the attic and pumping water into it to feed the taps around the house. I wasn't able to explain this one as it made no sense. It had been suggested that the pressure could be the reason but this was quickly ruled out. You only have to stand under an Irish electric shower (another oddity) to realise that pressure is definitely not the reason, you are better off just standing out in the rain. So what is the purpose of this tank?

And what other oddities do Irish houses possess that you wouldn't find in other countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Nevermind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

jester77 wrote: »

Another oddity is having a tank in the attic and pumping water into it to feed the taps around the house. I wasn't able to explain this one as it made no sense. It had been suggested that the pressure could be the reason but this was quickly ruled out. You only have to stand under an Irish electric shower (another oddity) to realise that pressure is definitely not the reason, you are better off just standing out in the rain. So what is the purpose of this tank?

And what other oddities do Irish houses possess that you wouldn't find in other countries?

You will be damn glad of that tank during any interruptions to the mains supply!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

gravity

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Scipio_Hib

To stop your central heating blowing up.

The great oddity of Irish houses......THE IMMERSION, and the obsession with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Two taps! One for hot one for cold.
    Why?
    Why?
    One is enough.

Tap

Oh also, using a washbasin in a sink to wash dishes.
    The sink is a basin!
    WTF is wrong with people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The sacred heart lamp and accompanying spooky holy picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

There is no hot water in the taps unless you turn on the heating/immersion, and also what others have said - immersion/ electric showers. These devices have caused great confusion for my German OH's friends and relatives who have come to stay.

An abundance of fireplaces compared to continental properties, and a lack of double glazing in older properties. I also wondered why the Germans were always asking me to put on the fire, it seems that it's unusual to have a fireplace in Germany too. Well, it could also be because of the shyte insulation here as they are always cold when they stay here too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Why?
    Why?
    One is enough.

Tap
    One for cold, one for molten lava you mean!

Why?
    Why?
    One is enough.

Tap

Oh also, using a washbasin in a sink to wash dishes.
    The sink is a basin!
    WTF is wrong with people?

My OH is German and she absolutely despises the washbasin and she often takes it out of the sink but I refuse to be parted with it, I just can't fathom not having one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

Another oddity is having a tank in the attic and pumping water into it to feed the taps around the house. I wasn't able to explain this one as it made no sense.

Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement

Medusa22 wrote: »
    My OH is German and she absolutely despises the washbasin and she often takes it out of the sink but I refuse to be parted with it, I just can't fathom not having one!

Hahaha :)
    But why not? They're totally useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No need for immersion with a back boiler.

I don't know, I can't quite articulate my fondness for the basin. Its like the sink is.....naked without it, a bit like having a bin without a binbag or having your dinner on the table without a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Scipio_Hib

Had visitor once remark on the lack of bidets in Irish houses - implication being that we all must have mucky arses!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What is a back boiler? And how is it different to a front boiler?

I don't know, I can't quite articulate my fondness for the basin. Its like the sink is.....naked without it, a bit like having a bin without a binbag or having your dinner on the table without a plate.

hahaha, Medusa, I'm crackin up here :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I doubt the water tank in the attic is a uniquely Irish thing. It as a buffer before needing to use the external supply, otherwise you would be drawing on the mains/well every time you turn the tap/flush the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

I have a Belfast sink so if i didnt use a basin Id be replacing glasses and delph everyday!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Medusa22 wrote:

Scrapey plates on stainless steel sounds - perhaps the basin is to protect our lovely delph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Ahh but then you have to light a fire if you want hot water. What if it's Summer and the Sun is splitting the stones and you fancy a shower?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭TheNobleKipper

No sockets in bathrooms but an electric shower inside the wettest part of the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    I doubt the water tank in the attic is a uniquely Irish thing. It as a buffer before needing to use the external supply, otherwise you would be drawing on the mains/well every time you turn the tap/flush the toilet.

What is wrong with this? That's how it works in my house, water is fed into the house through pipes in the basement and it goes direct to all the taps, showers and toilets over 3 floors. There is no pump and there is no problem with pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Have been living in the UK for 5 years, and no English house I've been in has had a hot press. I miss it...

If you had a ceramic sink, it could be damaged without one.
    This might be an example where the original reasoning is long forgotten but the habit has remained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sink full of dishes and someone comes along with a cup to be washed that's half full of cold tea. What do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

You want to control your sink. Without the washbasin, the sink is free.

FREE YOUR SINK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Sink full of dishes and someone comes along with a cup to be washed that's half full of cold tea. What do you do?
    The dishes!!!

What is wrong with this? That's how it works in my house, water is fed into the house through pipes in the basement and it goes direct to all the taps, showers and toilets over 3 floors. There is no pump and there is no problem with pressure.

Are you asking a question...? :o

Its in the attic so its can be gravity feed later. Obviously if you want a power shower its needs to be pumped but for normal taps/toilets its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No sockets in bathrooms but an electric shower inside the wettest part of the room!

Usually a shower unit that requires a degree in thermodynamics to operate without being scalded/frozen to death.

It wouldn't be a proper Irish home without a permanent damp patch, with stuff growing on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

:eek:
    I hope this is a joke, for your sake.

Advertisement