Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you getting in the mood for Christmas (before Halloween)?

• 28-10-2015 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

What's with all this 'in yer face' Christmas paraphernalia in the shops (before Halloween) :confused:

This year the 'pre Halloween' Christmas theme thing seems to be more prevalent than in previous years . . .

In one shop today, the Christmas decorations have now taken priority over the Halloween decorations, which had been pushed into a side isle!

What's going on?

PS: I'd be fascinated to hear from somebody in retail . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I hate nothing more than Christmas before Decmeber, a week before and a week after is more than enough Christmas for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I'm going to change into my costume tonight and apart from required underwear changes I will remain in a costume until the new year. That's the festive seasons sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

It's the shops wanting to sell as much stock as possible, who can blame them?

People buying Christmas beer, sweets, condoms etc. They'll buy them by the trolley load.

Fact - they will all be scoffed down before 1st November. Especially the condoms!

The tins of sweets are being raided nationwide as a I type! More will be bought next week, the week after, right up to Christmas week.

Then in January - Slimming World, Weight Watchers, and all the Chub Clubs will be packed out with wobbly dreamers, all the Christmas stuff being replaced with Slim Fast, Atkins, and Celery.

Same craic every year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hell yeah, I started getting excited about Christmas last month! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Links234 wrote: »
    Hell yeah, I started getting excited about Christmas last month! :D

Bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

Early Christmas rocks!

LordSutch wrote: »
    Bonkers.

Perfectly logical to my mind, I've already got presents sorted for a couple of people already, it takes the hassle out of it and it's less of a financial strain if I pick something up one week, something else a few weeks later. Besides, I love mince pies and as soon as they hit the shops I'm bouncing with joy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Perfectly logical to my mind, I've already got presents sorted for a couple of people already, it takes the hassle out of it and it's less of a financial strain if I pick something up one week, something else a few weeks later. Besides, I love mince pies and as soon as they hit the shops I'm bouncing with joy! :D

Far too organised for my liking, crazy carry on altogether.

PS; Enjoy your mince pies :)

(Fresh cream or Birds Custard)?

Far too organised for my liking, crazy carry on altogether.

PS; Enjoy your mince pies :)

(Fresh cream or Birds Custard)?

Neither, I'm lactose intollerent, so prefer them dry. Though truth be told, if I was to risk the bowel disruption, brandy butter. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

People buying Christmas beer, sweets, condoms etc. They'll buy them by the trolley load.

Fact - they will all be scoffed down before 1st November. Especially the condoms!

......................................................................................................
    Same craic every year. :)

Mince Pie tasting condoms, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Neither, I'm lactose intollerent, so prefer them dry. Though truth be told, if I was to risk the bowel disruption, brandy butter. ;)

Try them heated with some Baileys, might be easier to tolerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Mince Pie tasting condoms, eh?
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Are you getting in the mood for Christmas (before Halloween)?

Of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I just leave my tree up all year round now and have an advent calendar with 365 doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Christmas has no place in the new multi cultural Ireland.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

It's beginning to look like Christmas....
    Yessum. Ever sinceum Augustum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

OP, will you be ScreamingLordSutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Mince pies with Baileys Irish Cream, for a lactose intolerant person?

Yeah, that's gonna end well ! :P

Half my family is in America. So everything for them has to be bought, wrapped and shipped by mid November, to make sure it gets there in plenty of time. Doing your Xmas shopping in October is lovely and relaxed. I often pick up good stuff in the Oct Bank Holiday Weekend sales too.

When I am out shopping for the Yanks, I often see stuff for my Irish peeps too, without even trying. I am usually done with all my shopping it by late November. People are amazed by my organization, but its all so easy and stress free, there is really very little effort involved. I can then save December for enjoying the atmosphere and craic of town, without having any of the shopping stress. It's bleedin' deadly so it is ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭doulikeit

Ahh young uns and Christmas ye are all ruined, when I was a boy all we got was an orange and a boot in d bollix and bloody greatful for it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep, I'm already dreading the financial ruin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wait till the beginning of Advent. The Church also releases their Christmas schedule at this time, I always look forward to the carol services they organise with our Protestant brethren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Mince pies with Baileys Irish Cream, for a lactose intolerant person?

Yeah, that's gonna end well ! :P

Yeah that's not how it works...otherwise a lactose intolerant person wouldn't be able to have cream crackers.

Advertisement