Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once upon a time in Iraq.

Options
2»

Comments

No, just no to this in so many senses of the word. Ive an article below to set out some more of the detail, particularly vis a vis Iraq, but when it comes to somewhere like Libya, people need to stop being so gullible in beliving a country with the population size of Bulgaria, the oil production of Oman and the gold reserves of Greece, was going to set up some enormous pan African currency with nations that despised its leader. I know its convenient to opt for the easy explanation but that does not make it right.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/07/debunking-the-dumping-the-dollar-conspiracy/

I think Libya had slightly more gold than Greece.

nthclare wrote: »
    Wasn't there some Christians also in Sadams team and other religions, his team wasn't all Sunni.

Iraq was doing quite well in the 60's and 70's so was Afghanistan very westernised.
    I don't know, but it wouldn't be surprising. Saddam was a pan-Arab nationalist with no significant interest in religion. The damage that the US did to that country and its culture is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Bush and Blair should be hung for the untold chaos and misery they unleashed with their lies.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There are indeed a lot of war crimes that have and will be left unanswered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I don't know, but it wouldn't be surprising. Saddam was a pan-Arab nationalist with no significant interest in religion. The damage that the US did to that country and its culture is unforgivable.

His second in command was a Christian.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

one wonders why they did it ?

Tariq Azis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Mad_maxx wrote: »

It gives them a foothold in a state bordering Iran for starters.

Odhinn wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was to protect Saudi Arabia. The first gulf war seemed to be as much about that as it was Kuwait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

I think Libya had slightly more gold than Greece.

Yes, as air-tight as I might be tempted to regard a report by RT, I do have a rather pesky predilection for cross-referencing with other sources, in this case the database of gold reserves.

https://www.gold.org/goldhub/data/monthly-central-bank-statistics

Now as you will plainly see from the data available, Libya had a fairly constant reserve of gold since the early 00s and one which came nowhere near the kind of reserves of major nations and is broadly comparable to the reserves of Greece (in-fact your initial assertion of Libya having slightly more gold than Greece is actually very true). Most intriguingly, Iraq from the start of 2010, has managed in the past decade to build up reserves of gold rivalling that of Libya, despite being at the centre of a foreign invasion or two, and significant civil conflict. Now I'm aware the gold story might still look tempting, but it just doesn't have the backing behind it, if you will pardon the gold pun :o

Yes, as air-tight as I might be tempted to regard a report by RT, I do have a rather pesky predilection for cross-referencing with other sources, in this case the database of gold reserves.

https://www.gold.org/goldhub/data/monthly-central-bank-statistics

Now as you will plainly see from the data available, Libya had a fairly constant reserve of gold since the early 00s and one which came nowhere near the kind of reserves of major nations and is broadly comparable to the reserves of Greece (in-fact your initial assertion of Libya having slightly more gold than Greece is actually very true). Most intriguingly, Iraq from the start of 2010, has managed in the past decade to build up reserves of gold rivalling that of Libya, despite being at the centre of a foreign invasion or two, and significant civil conflict. Now I'm aware the gold story might still look tempting, but it just doesn't have the backing behind it, if you will pardon the gold pun :o

Shh. Don’t deflate a good conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mad_maxx wrote: »

To smash Arab power and leave their client state as the strongest in the ME.

+1

Zebra3 wrote: »
    To smash Arab power and leave their client state as the strongest in the ME.

well they dont have a problem with some arab power and iran has always been a bigger rival than anyone else

obviously the interests of israel play some role every time and the israeli firsters - neo cons did have a hugely influential role in the bush administration , otherwise the invasion would probably not have happened for another few decades

9-11 gave cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

If that was a motive then it backfired on the US, badly and very predictably due to Iraq's Shia majority.

Instead they ended up giving Iran considerable influence in Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Just watching this on BBC now, ****ing Sassoman or however it's spelt, he's a bad man and doesn't give a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is being repeated again on BBC4 on Monday at 10pm.

Advertisement