Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir/Siro FTTH in existing apartment buildings?

Options
  • 28-11-2019 2:18pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with Eir or Siro bringing FTTH into an existing apartment building?

Do they need to bring the fibre up the ducts to each apartment or if their it ethernet in place already to each apartment (and owned by the building) can they just use that from the basement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

For open eir it is likely an issue they are going to have to deal with if they want to service apartments. The vast majority of their current roll out is rural but as the focus moves to urban they are going to encounter such premises. However it may be a case that they will go for the lower hanging fruit of semi-detached and detached housing.

Are many apartment buildings even cabled for Ethernet? Then would open eir want to use third-party cabling?

Running fibre through ducting assumes that whoever built the building had the foresight to leave such access available. Again I'm not sure how common this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Would assume everything in the building is the managements companies responsibility. Might be FTTB and then it's up to them to do the rest.

Find out when the next AGM or QGM is and bring it up, if renting ask LL and point out how important that is to renters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think the main focus of this rollout is rural along with urban houses. I'd think it very very unlikely they will run fibre to individual apartments. If they don't have Virgin or a phone line they could be in trouble. Most have one of those. Maybe G.Fast will be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Our apartment complex were approached by SIRO last year for permission to roll-out FTTH to all apartments. They would bring fibre into the electricity press inside the lobby through existing ESB ducts in the ground, then run fibre to the door of each apartment (through the ceilings of the common areas) and terminate there. If an apartment owner wanted to avail of FTTH they'd then just contact Vodafone/Digiweb/whoever who would make the final connection from the termination outside the door into the apartment.

SIRO covering all costs so we gave the go ahead, no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Our apartment complex were approached by SIRO last year for permission to roll-out FTTH to all apartments.
    Roughly where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

KOR101 wrote: »
    Roughly where?

Raheny. There’s a race going on here between Eir and SIRO to roll out FTTH. There are streets where both companies are working at the same time. I mean I love the idea of having the choice between eFibre, Virgin cable, SIRO fibre or Eir fibre, but something feels a bit off to be paying tax to fund the NBP to get a single provider to supply the countryside...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It is literally down to the management companies or the owners of these buildings.

The providers will build, if they are permitted.

If the management company or owner put too many hurdles in the way, the providers walk away. End of story.

/M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Marlow wrote: »
    If the management company or owner put too many hurdles in the way, the providers walk away. End of story.

/M

I'm currently having this issue in my development. Extremly frustrating. Provider is willing to undertake the works and the management company refuse to sign off on it, worried about aesthetics and so on.

I have a query that someone may be able to help me with. Are the providers actually obliged to cover the cost of installation or is it purely goodwill? Is there any legislation underpinning this?

Naturally I'm worried that failure to undertake the works now will result in installation costs being heaped on owners when it suddenly dawns on the management company that fiber broadband is required and the providers may not be as forthcoming with their goodwill. I'm looking for some clarity before I go down the route of calling for an Extraordinary General Meeting to discuss the issue.

In anycase I'd recommend all apartment owners to start asking your management companies about this now. It's highly likely that operators are in discussions with directors regarding the roll out of fibre broadband. If it's anything like my situation you might have some old technophobes putting the future of your development at risk by making ill-judged decisions that they don't really understand. It's worth keeping in mind that ComReg are considering a request by Eir to begin switching off the copper network from 2025 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FTTH increase property value. If your OMCs agent is against it you should hire somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The agent listens to the owner directors of the OMC. Contact those directors to get them onside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ED E wrote: »
    FTTH increase property value. If your OMCs agent is against it you should hire somebody else.

Our agent is all for it, I suspect they think it is absolutely madness to turn down the proposal.

It's the directors of the management company that are the problem. They wouldn't exactly be keeping up to speed with the latest technology. It's hard to get younger property owners to get involved by way of joining the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I'm director of management company for nine apartments. Who do you suggest I call to get cable laid in ? It's on the poles outside our gates.

Advertisement