Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

google wifi (gen 1) and vodafone router

Options
  • 13-01-2021 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I'll be switching from Eir to Vodafone next week. I have ftth (installed by Eir) and currently use google wifi with the Eir router.

I assume that google wifi is compatible with vodafone router?

Are there any settings i should change when i get the vodafone router?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

just in case anyone else has a similar query, it seems to be working fine with the new vodafone router, although i had to unplug all the wifi points this evening for some reason but working fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Google WIFI doesn’t support VLAN 10 AFAIK, otherwise you could use it standalone , no Vodafone/Eir router required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

ablelocks wrote: »
    I'll be switching from Eir to Vodafone next week. I have ftth (installed by Eir) and currently use google wifi with the Eir router.

I assume that google wifi is compatible with vodafone router?

Are there any settings i should change when i get the vodafone router?

thanks

As said Google WiFi doesn't support vlan tagging on the wan so cannot replace your Vodafone router. You can set the Google WiFi to AP mode to avoid an issue called double NAT, this will mean you will lose most of the bells and whistles routing features. Google WiFi is a bad choice with FTTH for this reason, if you've a possibility of returning it do so and pick one of the other mesh systems that support vlan tagging.

You can pick up a 5 port GigE managed switch on Amazon for about €25 which can do the VLAN tagging bit. It’ll cut out the requirement to keep the Vodafone router.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm in the same position, but far from being a network engineer! I added a google wifi hub and extra point.

Speeds drop off fairly rapidly from the point over a distance of about 12m. So in the master bedroom I get 450 Mbps but 12m away in my office I can get 60 Mbps on a good day!

It's a new build house with fairly lightweight stud walls internally. I was pretty disappointed by the coverage.

I have the router set to modem only, so it's not broadcasting a wifi signal and every device is now connected to our nest mesh network.

I hope I'm doing it right but would buying a switch like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed-GS105Ev2/dp/B002YPJ8KM

potentially help my signal woes? I have no idea what VLAN tagging is or why it would matter, just to set expectations! (I googled it, that didn't really help my understanding)

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm in the same position, but far from being a network engineer! I added a google wifi hub and extra point.

Speeds drop off fairly rapidly from the point over a distance of about 12m. So in the master bedroom I get 450 Mbps but 12m away in my office I can get 60 Mbps on a good day!

It's a new build house with fairly lightweight stud walls internally. I was pretty disappointed by the coverage.

I have the router set to modem only, so it's not broadcasting a wifi signal and every device is now connected to our nest mesh network.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed-GS105Ev2/dp/B002YPJ8KM

potentially help my signal woes? I have no idea what VLAN tagging is or why it would matter, just to set expectations! (I googled it, that didn't really help my understanding)

That's about right. 5ghz will give you faster speeds in the same room but it does not penetrate obstacles like walls very well. Move your nodes closer to where you use them most

I
    I have the router set to modem only,

Seems to me , you are with Virgin Media, so VLAN tagging doesn't affect you and you CAN'T get rid VM modem anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

alec76 wrote: »
    Seems to me , you are with Virgin Media, so VLAN tagging doesn't affect you and you CAN'T get rid VM modem anyway.

Nope, Vodafone gigabit broadband and tv.

Nope, Vodafone gigabit broadband and tv.

Ok , Ive just confused when you were saying " router set to modem only" ,as it is not possible with Vodafone FTTH .

You could buy switch then and replace Vodafone router altogether.
    PS.Not sure if Vodafone TV would work without Vodafone router though,some additional setting might needed for TV box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

As said Google WiFi doesn't support vlan tagging on the wan so cannot replace your Vodafone router. You can set the Google WiFi to AP mode to avoid an issue called double NAT, this will mean you will lose most of the bells and whistles routing features. Google WiFi is a bad choice with FTTH for this reason, if you've a possibility of returning it do so and pick one of the other mesh systems that support vlan tagging.

Won't be replacing the google wifi anytime soon and I wasn't trying to replace the vodafone router, as i kind of knew I couldn't.

edit : But what advantage, if any, would i get if i get the switch and remove the vodafone router?

since yesterday evening, everything is working fine. 2 home workers, 3 secondary and 1 primary school kids all working away today with no issues

So if it continues to work as is - ie, cable plugged from primary unit into vodafone router - i should just leave it alone?

thanks for all the replies...

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    Won't be replacing the google wifi anytime soon and I wasn't trying to replace the vodafone router, as i kind of knew I couldn't.

edit : But what advantage, if any, would i get if i get the switch and remove the vodafone router?

since yesterday evening, everything is working fine. 2 home workers, 3 secondary and 1 primary school kids all working away today with no issues

So if it continues to work as is - ie, cable plugged from primary unit into vodafone router - i should just leave it alone?

thanks for all the replies...

Make sure WiFi is disabled in the Vodafone router. You will be running double NAT which may cause issues with some stuff, hosting multiplayer online games is one! It's not ideal but see how it does for you.

I am almost sure , Google wifi would work in AP mode as default rather than router , double NAT won't be an issue then , still worth checking.

alec76 wrote: »
    I am almost sure , Google wifi would work in AP mode as default rather than router , double NAT won't be an issue then , still worth checking.

Doubtful, aren't there a lot of below and whistles management features, these would not be possible on AP mode and Google would not be getting any of the info it's looking for, DNS lookups etc.

Advertisement