Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford church records

• 05-08-2016 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I was hoping to find some trace of matrilineal grandparents - both my great-grandmothers mother and father. Since they were both born in Wexford (as recorded in 1901 census), I'm assuming their parents were too.
    • Thomas Nolan
    • Mary Nolan nee Crinnion
    • John Behan
    • Esther Behan nee Conlan

I was hoping FindMyPast would turn up something in the parish records, but nothing. I'm wondering if FMP have the most comprehesive set of records or should I look elsewhere?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The same Catholic parish records are available on Ancestry and FMP, both based on the free NLI register films. The Films generally cover up to about 1880, for later records you need to search civil records.

Do you have dates for these people and an area or parish of interest ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't forget the multitude of spelling variations you could have on all those names.

The surname that jumps out as a less common is 'Crinnion' - a quick search shows a Crinnion/Geraty couple with at least one child baptised in Tomacork parish (Wexford/Wicklow) in the 1870s. May not be connected but given how uncommon the surname is in Wexford, Tomacork might be a location to start with...

edit : most of the Crinnion births included in the extracted collection (1864~1880) on FamilySearch seem to be in Louth/Meath/Westmeath. Similar pattern at the time of Griffith's Valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

shanew wrote: »
    The same Catholic parish records are available on Ancestry and FMP, both based on the free NLI register films. The Films generally cover up to about 1880, for later records you need to search civil records.

Do you have dates for these people and an area or parish of interest ?
    Afraid I have no idea which parish they might have been from. The children in question born in 1865-1869, so I'm assuming they were born anywhere from 1825-1850.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

http://search.findmypast.ie/record?id=r_794907150%2f2

A Mary _Cremmeen/Cremeen_ married a Thomas Nolan here. Cremmeen -> Crinnion seems to much of a stretch though? (Given "CRINNION" comes from their child Edward Nolan's marriage cert, it's possibly incorrect in that. Either that or another person entirely)

P.

• Advertisement

oceanclub wrote: »
    Afraid I have no idea which parish they might have been from. The children in question born in 1865-1869, so I'm assuming they were born anywhere from 1825-1850.

do you have births for their children ?
    I'd start with those - starting in the same area or parish work back through the children and then look for the parents marriage, preferably civil records as they should include father's name, and also include residences for the bride & groom which can be helpful, as can names of witnesses.

Advertisement