Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Jackets

Options
  • 11-09-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Has anybody got any recommendations for a decent hiking jacket?

I’m looking for something that would be worn mainly for winter hill walks but possibly the odd summer hike, so a removal layer would be a bonus.

The more water & wind proof the better but with openable vents for when things heat up.

Budget would be around the €100 mark, give or take.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

have a look on Sportpursuit

I got a Marmot Minimalist Gore Tex jacket from them for about €100. It has pit vents aswell and an external chest pocket with 2 handwarmer pockets

Great value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

If in Dublin, check out the Patagonia European Outlet store on Exchequer St.
    Patagonia is premium gear, but at affordable prices in the Outlet store, check online if you want to see real prices elsewhere.

The stuff in the shop is end of line, seconds, or was used as display gear etc, but is in perfect condition or they would not be selling.

Personally, I'd recommend a good single layered/lined wind and waterproof jacket, which you can wear other base/medium layer items under if wanted; rather than a bigger all-in-one jacket with removable layer(s). Others will have the exact opposite opinion.
    I prefer separate layers rather than linked; apart from anything else it means you can switch in and out layers of whatever thickness, properties you feel like on the day or depending on the weather/event.

In the end all clothing decisions, hiking or otherwise, hugely come down to personal preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I personally hate jackets with removable inners, but I think jackets are a very personal purchase. I'd recommend putting all your money into a decent waterproof outer jacket, and layering under it, this gives a decent waterproof jacket that can used all year round, there's nothing worse than being wet while outdoors. Don't forget to check out tk maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    have a look on Sportpursuit

I got a Marmot Minimalist Gore Tex jacket from them for about €100. It has pit vents aswell and an external chest pocket with 2 handwarmer pockets

Great value for money

What size did you go four out of interest? I'm an 80kg, 5'11" male with a 40" chest and 32" waist, it looks like the medium would be a good fit. However if i'm layering up underneath it might be better to go for the large size to allow for that little bit of extra space

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Tim76 wrote: »
    What size did you go four out of interest? I'm an 80kg, 5'11" male with a 40" chest and 32" waist, it looks like the medium would be a good fit. However if i'm layering up underneath it might be better to go for the large size to allow for that little bit of extra space

I got a medium
    5'10, 78kg, 38/40" chest with 32" waist

Medium allows me to put a layer or 2 underneath. but then its tight at that
    The waist when zipped and buttoned closes with a little room

Its not my winter coat that I would normally use for going out in heavy weather with layers, I have a larger longer cut Berghaus goretex for that situation

I use this more for out walking and I only need one layer underneath so that its a tighter fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I got a medium
    5'10, 78kg, 38/40" chest with 32" waist

Medium allows me to put a layer or 2 underneath. but then its tight at that
    The waist when zipped and buttoned closes with a little room

Its not my winter coat that I would normally use for going out in heavy weather with layers, I have a larger longer cut Berghaus goretex for that situation

I use this more for out walking and I only need one layer underneath so that its a tighter fit

Thanks for the feedback Lex.

As this will be my main winter jacket I think I might go with the large size as it should allow me to get two heavy layers underneath with some breathing space to spare.

Advertisement