Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread..The Final Chapter of 17? (MOD WARNINGS IN OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Adox, I was just expanding upon your point rather than disagreeing.

I just think another 2 or 3 players joining would only be helpful if they were much better than what was already there. I don't think the funds were there for that level of change. If extra recruits were similar to what is on the books then we would be back to spending money on players that would need to be replaced quickly. This is what is happening with players like Blind, Darmian or happened with Memphis, Morgan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

It would be good for a laugh at least. I'm sure under Pochettino the likes of Mata will suddenly turn into real leaders, or Martial will find some consistency. It would be fun to see the Jose critics trying to figure out why manager no.4 appears to be having a few remarkably familiar issues...

Very few would disagree with that but that still doesn’t excuse or explain the last four results and performances. Of course you can lose to any team on any given day but it wasn’t like we played decent stuff in the last couple of home games especially and it just broke down in the final third. It was played at pedestrian pace. Also without the ball Utd look totally impotent in trying to win it back or even cut down space.

I think there are some worrying signs there beyond a few attacking players not being good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Someone should be sitting down Pogba and explaining to him that if he's the creative player in midfield he then should be demanding the ball off his defenders and not hiding out on the wings away from the play. Was absolutely shocking tonight. Worst game I've seen from him

• Someone should be sitting down Pogba and explaining to him that if he's the creative player in midfield he then should be demanding the ball off his defenders and not hiding out on the wings away from the play. Was absolutely shocking tonight. Worst game I've seen from him
    Are you kidding me
    Of all the rubbish on here over the last few weeks this is the worst of it
    Jesus

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Are you kidding me
    Jesus

He was awful. Threw around a few Hollywood balls but very little else. If we're going to be criticising players like Shaw or Miki he can't escape the same criticism. "Jesus"

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Pogba was sh1t today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭ericzeking

It would be good for a laugh at least. I'm sure under Pochettino the likes of Mata will suddenly turn into real leaders, or Martial will find some consistency. It would be fun to see the Jose critics trying to figure out why manager no.4 appears to be having a few remarkably familiar issues...

Jose has already recruited the spine of a team, 2 CBs, 2 CMs and 2 strikers, all big players for big money, yet we lack leadership from the likes of Mata and Martial?

• He was awful. Threw around a few Hollywood balls but very little else. If we're going to be criticising players like Shaw or Miki he can't escape the same criticism. "Jesus"

What game were you watching fs??

In the first half in particular he ran he game and created everything.
    Sick of this pathetic attempt at picking out a specific player and pawning off other players faults where people are simply looking for an excuse.
    It happened last season and it's starting to happen this season.
    Cannot cover for players like Miki unable to deliver a simple ball into the box after the ball was gifted on a plate by Pogba multiple times. Same as Rashford, half asleep as Pogba delivered to his feet.

I'm not saying everything he does is gold because it's not but he's a creative risk taker, that's why he was purchased. He's not supposed to do everything, who bloody does?

He cannot put the ****ing ball in the net for the forward players nor is he a defender trying to stop a cross coming in

He's a CM not a 11 man team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Three terrible draws and a cup defeat in recent weeks, lets hope it's just a dip in form and not what we saw happen under LVG. At some point the commitment of the players has to be brought up if it continues. IMO they gave f all in the game vs Bristol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Jesus lads bit united are quare ****e at the minute. It's hard watched but **** it I love the club and will carry on supporting.

There's a few in here that have the jocks around the ankles pulling hard as they can with United playing badly because they feel it justifies their posts. Well done lads. Sad shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Few good points raised by ESPN's Alex Shaw on Twitter earlier this evening.
    United are in bad form but this talk over Mourinho's future (mainly from oddballs on Twitter) is ludicrous. Only City's freakish form makes this an underwhelming campaign so far. You can't go sacking managers just because you're not leading the league.

I'd still say positions 2-4 are up in the air. If United don't finish 4th at least then perhaps look at it, but ultimately (unless Mourinho goes 100% poisonous) what's the point in sacking? There's a dearth of alternatives.

And all this talk about how he is, what he says and the things he does? This isn't an alien situation: United knew what they were getting themselves into.

Just on this: Mourinho is certainly showing traits of The Third Jose Season imo. The conspiracies, gripes, clashes, ashen expression etc. We all knew it'd come to this, but where it goes from here I don't know. See in May I spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Sick of this pathetic attempt at picking out a specific player and pawning off other players faults where people are simply looking for an excuse.
    Cannot cover for players like Miki unable to deliver a simple ball into the box after the ball was gifted on a plate by Pogba multiple times. Same as Rashford, half asleep as Pogba delivered to his feet.

I'm not saying everything he does is gold because it's not but he's a creative risk taker, that's why he was purchased. He's not supposed to do everything, who bloody does?

He cannot put the ****ing ball in the net for the forward players nor is he a defender trying to stop a cross coming in

He was SH*T today. Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Jayop wrote: »
    Jesus lads bit united are quare ****e at the minute. It's hard watched but **** it I love the club and will carry on supporting.

There's a few in here that have the jocks around the ankles pulling hard as they can with United playing badly because they feel it justifies their posts. Well done lads. Sad shower.

You can support UTD and be critical of them at the same time.

Jose isn't doing good enough atm in many areas. The squad isn't what it should be and a lot of that is on him, he has spent 300m after all. I'm not calling for him to be sacked yet but I don't think he should be given more leeway than LVG or Moyes just because of his name. Not good enough is just not good enough. This season is in risk of going down the toilet. In this from we could be out of the UCL in the next round and stuck in a battle for top four.

If that happens he should be sacked like any other manager would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

We have gone from the football being ****e to the football and results being ****e
    There are excuses the whole time [ weren't we meant to be back flying it again once Pogba returned ] but there is something not right behind the scenes IMO.
    Surely if Mourinho really wanted Peresic in the summer the board could have sanctioned the transfer. 30 or 40 million was not going to break us. The negativity from Mourinho during the season seems like all is not well in the camp.
    They players seem to be afraid to express themselves. The last 2 games gives me the impression that they are giving up on him and his tactics.
    The booing at full time...was this directed at him or the players ???
    Lets stop kidding ourselves about going in the right direction and progress. We will do well to finish in the top 4. And Seville will not fear us one bit in Europe.
    January is a big month for the club and Mourhino. He needs to get a middle of the park leader. Who that player is I dont know. But he needs someone on the pitch to take control and show leadership.
    For those who say he still needs 3 or 4 players who do ye see coming in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Are you kidding me
    Jesus

He really was hiding out on the right wing for the last 15 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

We all support the club, but when they are playing crap and the manager has played a big part in that they will be critiscised.

We support the club for all our lives, jose couldnt give a **** about the club in a few years when he is off at PSG or wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Some fans just like to idly support regardless of what is happening or what’s going right or wrong. They just support the team. Yay for a win, aww for a draw, ugh for a loss and an hour later it doesn’t matter they just tick on with their day.

Some fans support the team but take great interest in what’s happening, like discussions and analysis and like to discuss what’s going wrong and what should be fixed to have the team back where said fan feels it belongs

Both are totally acceptable methods of supporting your team, one granted a bit more suited to a discussion forum.

There are also fans who simply have not and will not accept the dip in standards, expectations and performances post Ferguson. And there are some who have and did and still do outlining what they perceive is the reality.

I actually don’t know where I sit anymore. I think I accepted the dip and the slump as a post Ferguson reality, but now expect with the manager in situ and the money being spent, that prestige and status be restored.

So far that is not being accomplished by any stretch of the imagination, or any UEFA or league cup.

So we can surely appreciate why everyone posts feels or reacts differently. We all in our own right, have different expectations or standards or where we are in that post Fergie timeline and not everyone is near signing of the same sheet. While Jose’s appointment seemed a signal by himself and the club of a reset of expectations to go back high , the manager has realigned expectations multiple times to fans where you have this weird division and mishmash of where people think we should be or how we should be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

These last 2 games have been like Moyes United. Get it wide and whip in a cross - not much else going on. The players look tired and short of ideas which is surprising to me - of the front six,its really only Matic and Lukaku who have been playing 90 mins every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »

Paul Scholes said Pogba just strolled around tonight and asked where the Pogba of Juve had gone. Paul knows his onions you'd think.

What did we create???
    How many times did he get on the ball in the second half???
    He was poor today

• Advertisement

You're happy enough to slate Miki (who was poor also) but who's been obviously well off form for months now but are up in arms over a criticism of any sort with Pogba. His biggest problem imo is he wants to be all things everything. He's all over the place but as a central midfielder he has to have one eye on his position in the middle of the field. Hes very good at nearly all aspects of play but I'd be happy he just concentrated on box to box and linking the defence and attack.

If he was available to play against City and played like he did against Arsenal City would have scored 10. We were so open through the middle it wasn't funny.

He gets a free ride here with some posters who are happy enough to target other players. He was the most expensive footballer in the world last year and I expect a lot more than I'm seeing from him

• IITYWYBMAD wrote: »

Then tell me why he was, dreadful posting from some random poster who never posts here btw

• beno619 wrote: »
    He really was hiding out on the right wing for the last 15 mins.

My issue is the pathetic attempt at singling out Pogba nearly every time something happens in this team.
    If you honestly believe that Pogba is at fault for us drawing this game then I suggest somebody needs to go to spec-savers.
    Worst game for Utd? Get out ta **** I say.
    I'm still convinced some people are not watching the games at all and just commenting once they see a scoreline. Not directed at you btw.

• You're happy enough to slate Miki (who was poor also) but who's been obviously well off form for months now but are up in arms over a criticism of any sort with Pogba. His biggest problem imo is he wants to be all things everything. He's all over the place but as a central midfielder he has to have one eye on his position in the middle of the field. Hes very good at nearly all aspects of play but I'd be happy he just concentrated on box to box and linking the defence and attack.

If he was available to play against City and played like he did against Arsenal City would have scored 10. We were so open through the middle it wasn't funny.

He gets a free ride here with some posters who are happy enough to target other players. He was the most expensive footballer in the world last year and I expect a lot more than I'm seeing from him

No I'm not. Once it's constructive criticism. As I've always been. Your comments on Pogba are hyperbolic and pure nonsical

• You're happy enough to slate Miki (who was poor also) but who's been obviously well off form for months now but are up in arms over a criticism of any sort with Pogba. His biggest problem imo is he wants to be all things everything. He's all over the place but as a central midfielder he has to have one eye on his position in the middle of the field. Hes very good at nearly all aspects of play but I'd be happy he just concentrated on box to box and linking the defence and attack.

What are you expecting from him? Expand on it then?

Doc fair ****s. Good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Not enough attacking intent at all, why are we sitting so deep against the most impotent team in the league.

Combination of lack of aggressive attacking and the players looking as if they don't give a ****. Playing as if the game started with a 3 goal lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its finally clear, Yermandan has been killed and replaced by BillyBob, the anti-yermandan!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Rooney winner incoming Monday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We started the game with Mata, Lingard and Mkhitaryan as our main attackers, is it surprising shít went downhill from there?

We don’t have the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

rekluse wrote: »
    Rooney winner incoming Monday night.
    Ah, the immutable law of the ex..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

We started the game with Mata, Lingard and Mkhitaryan as our main attackers, is it surprising shít went downhill from there?

Against Southampton? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

We started the game with Mata, Lingard and Mkhitaryan as our main attackers, is it surprising shwent downhill from there?

If only it were that simple. The problems were practically all over the pitch. I. As worried about when we don’t have the ball as when we do.

I think for starters a Pogba Matic two in midfield is just madness at this stage.

Jose’s got to carry his portion of the blame for these performances. Bad results are one thing. Bad performances, the likes of which we’ve seen recently are more concerning. A pattern is beginning to emerge. The formation which isn’t working. The complete surrender of territory when we don’t have the ball, no matter how poor the opposition.

The players have been awful also. I really don’t believe that these players aren’t good enough to beat the likes of Southampton or Burnley. Look **** results happen, it’s the nature of the business but tonight the team didn’t look bothered, played at a slow pace, no urgency. When Southampton had possession their players could have smoked a cigar they had that much time and space.

There’s been huge isssues over this Christmas period and that’s putting aside the poor results. I hope Jose can get a grip on it soon as it feels like it’s staring to spiral a bit and I’m sure he sees it(even though he has to carry some of the blame too).

I just have a bad feeling about it all at this stage. I can’t fathom how the players can put in such a half arsed performance like they did.

The only silver lining I can see is that it may force the clubs hand to spend in January which it sounded like they hadn’t planned to do.

Something needs to happen to shake the club out of this current slump. It’s time for Jose to earn his salary and figure it out. It’s one thing not being able to compete with City on the pitc( or struggle against Chelsea. It’s another thing altogether performing like they did tonight against Southampton, against Burnley at home etc. Something has gone badly wrong. What that is(there could be and probably is multiple things) who knows but it needs to be sorted sooner than later or it could become terminal.

Some in the stretford end booing mourinho walking off the field at end of game

What are you expecting from him? Expand on it then?

I'd prefer if he doesn't appear in every corner of the field. As a central midfielder he leaves a massive gap when he's out wide which he does a lot for some reason. He plays way too loose for me, all good when the play doesn't break down but he leaves huge amounts of space in key areas of the field. We bought Matic to allow him forward a bit more but now the talk is that we need another midfielder so we can pretty much give him a free rein on the pitch which I find incredible. He's not an Eriksen or Coutinho type player who are far better at linking the attack so I think he needs to cut out some of his gung ho all out attack and just simplify his game a little more. He's a superb player but can be very frustrating at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

adox wrote: »
    If only it were that simple. The problems were practically all over the pitch. I. As worried about when we don’t have the ball as when we do.

I think for starters a Pogba Matic two in midfield is just madness at this stage.

Jose’s got to carry his portion of the blame for these performances. Bad results are one thing. Bad performances, the likes of which we’ve seen recently are more concerning. A pattern is beginning to emerge. The formation which isn’t working. The complete surrender of territory when we don’t have the ball, no matter how poor the opposition.

The players have been awful also. I really don’t believe that these players aren’t good enough to beat the likes of Southampton or Burnley. Look **** results happen, it’s the nature of the business but tonight the team didn’t look bothered, played at a slow pace, no urgency. When Southampton had possession their players could have smoked a cigar they had that much time and space.

There’s been huge isssues over this Christmas period and that’s putting aside the poor results. I hope Jose can get a grip on it soon as it feels like it’s staring to spiral a bit and I’m sure he sees it(even though he has to carry some of the blame too).

I just have a bad feeling about it all at this stage. I can’t fathom how the players can put in such a half arsed performance like they did.

The only silver lining I can see is that it may force the clubs hand to spend in January which it sounded like they hadn’t planned to do.

Something needs to happen to shake the club out of this current slump. It’s time for Jose to earn his salary and figure it out. It’s one thing not being able to compete with City on the pitc( or struggle against Chelsea. It’s another thing altogether performing like they did tonight against Southampton, against Burnley at home etc. Something has gone badly wrong. What that is(there could be and probably is multiple things) who knows but it needs to be sorted sooner than later or it could become terminal.

Pogba in a midfield two is madness, I don’t think we lost the midfield battle though, and Pogba in a two means an extra attacker is on the pitch, which makes the impotence even more miserable.

Imagine telling someone before Mourinho joined, that he would play an attacking midfielder in a two and 4 attackers in front, not negative Mourinho they would say. I think he is giving these players every chance to get goals but they don’t oblige.

I can see an argument to maybe trying out a 532, to shake things up a bit, but honestly I’m not sure how much if any of a difference it would make.

Pogba in a midfield two is madness, I don’t think we lost the midfield battle though, and Pogba in a two means an extra attacker is on the pitch, which makes the impotence even more miserable.

Imagine telling someone before Mourinho joined, that he would play an attacking midfielder in a two and 4 attackers in front, not negative Mourinho they would say. I think he is giving these players every chance to get goals but they don’t oblige.

I can see an argument to maybe trying out a 532, to shake things up a bit, but honestly I’m not sure how much if any of a difference it would make.

But they all drop deep when we dont have the ball, we are so easy to play against, theres no urgency to win the ball back, no zip in the team, we are slow and pedestrian. I can see everton bullying us out of the game on monday and rooney doing damage. At least he showed a bit of fight when he played for us

• bangkok wrote: »
    Some in the stretford end booing mourinho walking off the field at end of game

Yea, typical standard section of pathetic Utd fans this day and age
    Spoilt ****ing rotten, no patience
    Met them at plenty of matches before

bangkok wrote: »
    But they all drop deep when we dont have the ball, we are so easy to play against, theres no urgency to win the ball back, no zip in the team, we are slow and pedestrian. I can see everton bullying us out of the game on monday and rooney doing damage. At least he showed a bit of fight when he played for us

Its one of Mourinhos philosophys. When you dont have the ball you cannot make a mistake..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Paul Scholes said Pogba just strolled around tonight and asked where the Pogba of Juve had gone. Paul knows his onions you'd think.

Pogba was poor tonight. I'm not sure what type of midfielder he's supposed to be for us. He seems to wander around sometimes, trott about the pitch. He jogs back almost everytime we lose the ball.

Maybe he's told to play this way in our midfield, but either I don't understand our formation and his role, or he's just not doing enough or interested enough. Massive talent, but I don't see the big contributions, especially when unit don't have the ball.

Yea, typical standard section of pathetic Utd fans this day and age
    Spoilt ****ing rotten, no patience
    Met them at plenty of matches before

But its ok for you to say the team is pathetic and we should sell mkhitarayan??!

Scholes also said jose has to take the blame for the way he is sending the players out to play and said pogba doesnt look comfortable being asked to do the job he is doing. Said he is so good no one in england should be getting near him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Folks,

Anyone is entitled to express an opinion no matter who they support as long as it civil, constructive and in keeping with the spirit of the forum charter. Posts labeling parts of the poster base you don't agree with derogatory labels e.g pathetic, shower of. ., are not acceptable. Any further of these posts will be deleted with prejudice and carded where appropriate. Consider this fair warning.

Thanks

• bangkok wrote: »
    But its ok for you to say the team is pathetic and we should sell mkhitarayan??!

Did I? And yes Miki has been consistently pathetic in his performances.

Yes, I've met plenty of fans who are acting pathetic in their hyperbolic reactions. They read into sky sports bull****e narrative and repetition from rivals who don't actually watch the games. What's your point?

Why can't we all just get along (and hate those dirty scouser *****?)

• Advertisement

Nalz wrote: »
    Pogba was poor tonight. I'm not sure what type of midfielder he's supposed to be for us. He seems to wander around sometimes, trott about the pitch. He jogs back almost everytime we lose the ball.

Maybe he's told to play this way in our midfield, but either I don't understand our formation and his role, or he's just not doing enough or interested enough. Massive talent, but I don't see the big contributions, especially when unit don't have the ball.

I think you'd have to play two holding mids behind him and just let him off. No defensive duties at all.

Some people will be horrified at two DMs/CMs but they're allowed pass forward too as Matic does. I'm not talking pure water carriers, as Cantona would say

bangkok wrote: »
    Scholes also said jose has to take the blame for the way he is sending the players out to play and said pogba doesnt look comfortable being asked to do the job he is doing. Said he is so good no one in england should be getting near him

He also said Pogba is such an imposing figure that he should dominate all round him. He's not even close to doing that. As a few have said, he goes hiding near the end of the game. He should be demanding ball and driving forward. Hollywood passes aren't any good if he can't do that.

Sorry for third post but decent article, worth reading

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5223501/amp/Woodward-know-like-Mourinhos-enemy.html?__twitter_impression=true

José seems to be getting the word out that things need to change. He's not wrong, United are playing catch up and not just with City.

Did I? And yes Miki has been consistently pathetic in his performances.

Yes, I've met plenty of fans who are acting pathetic in their hyperbolic reactions. They read into sky sports bull****e narrative and repetition from rivals who don't actually watch the games. What's your point?

All I'm saying is Pogba needs to decide what he brings to the team and deliver it. He's all over the jaysus place when all I want from his to play his own position and don't have the rest of the midfield to try and cover his runs which seems to be every single time we go forward to me. He's far from inexperienced so I'd expect him to know when to go and when to stick.

I only just seen the Scholes comments on his performance tonight and he's saying something along the same lines

• All I'm saying is Pogba needs to decide what he brings to the team and deliver it. He's all over the jaysus place when all I want from his to play his own position and don't have the rest of the midfield to try and cover his runs which seems to be every single time we go forward to me. He's far from inexperienced so I'd expect him to know when to go and when to stick.

I only just seen the Scholes comments on his performance tonight and he's saying something along the same lines

And why do you think he's caught to cover so many positions inthat case? Does it possibly go back the point I made earlier?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement