Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sugar-coated Fat-filled Krispy Kreme Thread!

Options
  • 01-10-2018 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭

I went past krispy kreme once last week and the foot queue was out the door and snaking down through the car park, probably an hour wait! Yesterday the traffic in the centre was so bad we just left straight away! I think we'll have to wait to January to go at this stage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Cienciano wrote: »
    I went past krispy kreme once last week and the foot queue was out the door and snaking down through the car park, probably an hour wait! Yesterday the traffic in the centre was so bad we just left straight away! I think we'll have to wait to January to go at this stage

Passed it at 11.30 yesterday evening, and there would have been around 70 cars waiting for the drive-thru.

Queue of around 100 people outside earlier in the day.

January sounds good if you don't want to queue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I still can't fathom what's gone on there. It's absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The queue was mental at 6.15 today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Patww79 wrote: »
    I still can't fathom what's gone on there. It's absolute madness.

They are just doughnuts. Can't understand the fuss.

blanch152 wrote: »
    They are just doughnuts. Can't understand the fuss.

They're lovely and all but the volume of people round the clock is mind boggling. People here tend to be wired that way though. It's more the being there and not missing anything moreso than what you're actually getting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Doughnuts are rubbish "food." The fad for them is pathetic.

When is a burrito place opening in Dublin 15. Long overdue.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The traffic chaos caused by Krispy Kreme has even made the Irish Times.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Doughnuts are rubbish "food." The fad for them is pathetic.

When is a burrito place opening in Dublin 15. Long overdue.

Screw burritos, I want a Bunsen in D15!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Zaph wrote: »
    The traffic chaos caused by Krispy Kreme has even made the Irish Times.

I.was in the centre yesterday. Went early and parked near TGI. Was finished by about 1130 and the queue of cars to get to KK was so big they were snaking back and blocking the exit/entrence to the car park. Irritating enough when it was quiet, I can only imagine the chaos it creates at busy periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Just watched the video of people blasting their horns late last night, taken by one of the residents of the nearby apartment block. Whatever was the cause (I heard some group jumped the queue) it really is ingrate behaviour by those there to be blasting horns at that hour (or any hour) in that way. This is why we can't have nice things, kids... https://www.facebook.com/307836049740698/posts/435964976927804/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This is so ridiculous. I love donuts as much as the next doughnut loving man, but how touched do you have to be to get in a large queue in order to get one? It's not like there's a shortage of doughnuts to be bought elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

blanch152 wrote: »
    Passed it at 11.30 yesterday evening, and there would have been around 70 cars waiting for the drive-thru.
    It's depressing thinking about all the extra pollution that these cars and all the others in knock-on traffic jams are creating.

Rather than referring to it as a ‘fantastic response’ you’d think Pat Fitzgerald, Blanchardstown Centre operations manager, would be more concerned that one new business could cause so much chaos and actually do something about it.

Whatever about the delays in the centre itself, there’s no way locals trying to get around the area should be disrupted in the way they were on Sunday.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Rather than referring to it as a ‘fantastic response’ you’d think Pat Fitzgerald, Blanchardstown Centre operations manager, would be more concerned that one new business could cause so much chaos and actually do something about it.

Whatever about the delays in the centre itself, there’s no way locals trying to get around the area should be disrupted in the way they were on Sunday.

It's been a disaster for anyone living near the centre or unfortunate enough to have any business other than 'doughnut shopping' to get to. We walked to the shopping centre on Sunday afternoon and on the way back through the Smyths/TK Maxx xarpark at bout 5pm (I think) there were queues up and down every aisle of cars trying to leave. Crazy. I know it was the last day of the funfair too which added to the chaos but if this keeps up they are going to have to seriously rethink the drive thru element. On Sunday night it was absolute mayhem too long after the shops had closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Just watched the video of people blasting their horns late last night, taken by one of the residents of the nearby apartment block. Whatever was the cause (I heard some group jumped the queue) it really is ingrate behaviour by those there to be blasting horns at that hour (or any hour) in that way. This is why we can't have nice things, kids... https://www.facebook.com/307836049740698/posts/435964976927804/

What the f**k is wrong with people?

It's bad enough that they're stupid enough to be queuing for ages at 11pm to get donuts ffs, but to be subjecting the residents to something like that is the absolute height of ignorance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Krispy Kreme's response - we'll put up some signs to be respectful of local residents. If they are ignorant enough to be beeping at that hour any way, a few signs won't make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Zaph wrote: »
    Screw burritos, I want a Bunsen in D15!

or a Wow Burger or Five Guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

its usually like that most of December. Very bad design/planning of a shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

miamee wrote: »
    Krispy Kreme's response - we'll put up some signs to be respectful of local residents. If they are ignorant enough to be beeping at that hour any way, a few signs won't make much difference.
    It is illegal to use the car horn between 23:30 and 7:00. I noticed that the video was recorded at 23:15 but...
    Only use a horn to:
    * warn other road users of on-coming danger; or
    * make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably
    necessary.

Remember, the horn does not give you the right of way.
    Do not use a horn in a built-up area between 23.30hrs and 07.00hrs unless
    there is a traffic emergency.

When sitting in stopped traffic I don't think that there is a safety issue.

I think that the Gardai could ticket people.

Not sure what can be done but at least they seem to be exploring options to reduce traffic congestion.

https://twitter.com/KrispyKremeIRL/status/1047089027361529856

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Experiment failed, shut it down. Look at Cork, 3 new Michelin star restaurants announced the other day. English market etc. A mecca for real food.

Dublin has those idiots in the FB video above or people wanting more Icelands...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

RasTa wrote: »
    Experiment failed, shut it down. Look at Cork, 3 new Michelin star restaurants announced the other day. English market etc. A mecca for real food.

Dublin has those idiots in the FB video above or people wanting more Icelands...

Experiment failed !
    So queues around the block is a reason to give up !
    I dont think you understand how business works
    bizarre "logic"

There is room in food for fine dining and sugary treats , the fact this does not float your boat is not a reason to get so angry .

Cork getting 3 stars means they are now miles behind Dublin for good food instead of the hundreds of miles they were behind last year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Experiment failed !
    So queues around the block is a reason to give up !
    I dont think you understand how business works
    bizarre "logic"

There is room in food for fine dining and sugary treats , the fact this does not float your boat is not a reason to get so angry .

Cork getting 3 stars means they are now miles behind Dublin for good food instead of the hundreds of miles they were behind last year !

Dubs has 5 and Cork has 3. Although L’Ecrivain doesn't deserve a star. Chapter one is the best, but I haven't eaten in Heron and Grey.

Cork are the rising stars in this culinary war.

Yes experiment failed, can't cope with the traffic. Shut it down or close it at 5pm everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

RasTa wrote: »
    Dubs has 5 and Cork has 3. Although L’Ecrivain doesn't deserve a star. Chapter one is the best, but I haven't eaten in Heron and Grey.

Cork are the rising stars in this culinary war.

Yes experiment failed, can't cope with the traffic. Shut it down or close it at 5pm everyday.

It's a shopping mall, not exactly the right venue for a fine dining establishment.

Choice is a good thing. Hopefully the issues with KK will sort themselves out once the novelty is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I live nearish to the centre and I have passed by a number of times - the traffic has not caused much disruption getting around the general area, tbh, the disruption is there most Saturdays and Sundays throughout the year anyway. I tend the avoid the place and will now until January as the hoards start their annual shopping pilgrimage. I do think the beeping is unnacceptable but perhaps that was a once off as apparently someone "skipped the queue" - you would want to be pretty desperate for donuts to skip a queue.

It's a bit of fun and has brought some jobs to the area. However, the cynic in me thinks that KK may be encouraging the crazy queues in order to avail of all of the free publicity, clever marketing ploy. I expect the demand to ease, if not, I expect ongoing Krispy Kreme Carnage and donot related riots :D

Of course, we should all be more concerned about the queues for treatment in Connolly Hospital but that's not as interesting and for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Anybody know if traffic is any better today ?
    have we passed peak doughnut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anybody know if traffic is any better today ?
    have we passed peak doughnut ?

Apparently pretty mad a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Fools

miss misty wrote: »
    Fools

And, as they say, easily parted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Polar101

I kind of like doughnuts, but I can't understand why anyone would want to buy them 24/7, let alone when there is a queue to the place. What am I missing here? Yesterday a taxi man told me about the queue in the place, and I thought he was joking at first.

Advertisement