Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the tech giants close buildings in the docks

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

touts wrote: »
    Nope. But the analysts want to see companies making cost savings wherever possible. It is usually things like inventory. The two weeks before the end of qtr accounts can often see companies delaying deliveries and cutting production all to get their inventory levels down. Thats usually a sign that sales for the qtr were ****.

Well this qtr we are likely to see pretty poor results. So companies are going to cut everything they can to be able to tell the analysts that they are proactive. A few million on an empty building in Dublin Docklands is what accountants call "low hanging fruit" when they are presenting options to the Board in the US.

I disagree.

If the company has poor performance a mill here and a mill there wont do anything for a analyst. Unless the company is actually bankrupt and at that stage it would just be selling off the assest.

These are multi billion companies, every qtr is billions and not millions. If the poo is hitting the fan are you telling me that they are going to board/shareholder saying they save 5-10 million across the World on rent?

The entire C level would be fired on the spot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I disagree.

If the company has poor performance a mill here and a mill there wont do anything for a analyst. Unless the company is actually bankrupt and at that stage it would just be selling off the assest.

These are multi billion companies, every qtr is billions and not millions. If the poo is hitting the fan are you telling me that they are going to board/shareholder saying they save 5-10 million across the World on rent?

The entire C level would be fired on the spot.

Multi Nationals can be very harsh on the cost savings they look for. You'd be surprised how petty it can be, I've seen some even make departments within their organisation compete against each other. To the detriment of the customers, who ceased getting services they paid for.

Multi Nationals can be very harsh on the cost savings they look for. You'd be surprised how petty it can be, I've seen some even make departments within their organisation compete against each other. To the detriment of the customers, who ceased getting services they paid for.

I am well aware what MNC do, you will find the Ireland offices compete internally also to get new workloads etc moved over.

The favorite for most of these companies when they hit a bad qtr is sack the staff. Pump up targets so they are unrealitic so people cannot hit targets. Put caps on commission so if people do hit and overachieve they only have to pay them X%.

Moving jobs from one country to another, telling the person the job is now in XYZ, you either quit or follow your job which in reality most people will quit as they pick the sector that has older staff with families

All of the above is done, more regular than people would think.....that is large scale cost saving. An office is peanuts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When an organisation is set to chase costs savings, after the large slices have been cut off, they'll purse dusting off the crumbs. The savings will be trivial, but they'll chase it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

ED E wrote: »
    Google don't want you. They want the Ruby expert from Warsaw, payments guru from the US. They won't work in Meath.
    How about Dell in Limerick, Apple in Cork, and Land Rover in the middle of nowhere? Who works there?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tropple

M256 wrote: »
    So, is this a trend or an outlier?

It's not a trend, but it immediately debunks what a lot of the posters in this thread are claiming

How about Dell in Limerick, Apple in Cork, and Land Rover in the middle of nowhere? Who works there?

What about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

manufacturing, its a different game.

Software developers are a different bunch, they want to live in cities close to everything, walk or cycle to everything and be able to change jobs without moving house. It's why all the tech companies are huddled together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

AFAIK there's zero manufacturing in Dell and JLR sites today.
    There's quite a few non-manufacturing tech jobs spread between Limerick/Shannon, Galway and Cork and probably now there is some opportunity to encourage more companies to move in, relieve some of the pressure on Dublin housing, bring some business to other cities and all that.

• Administrators Posts: 53,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

None of Apple, Dell or Land Rover are tech companies in Ireland in the same vein as the others mentioned in this thread.

Apple probably the closest, and I'd bet if Apple were establishing themselves in Ireland today they'd be in Dublin, not Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

biggebruv wrote: »
    They have like the whole area if reports today about not coming back properly till next year just why do they need all them buildings doesn’t google alone have like 6 or something

The irony of a semi-literate post about a company called Alphabet.....

• Administrators Posts: 53,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cordell wrote: »
    There's quite a few non-manufacturing tech jobs spread between Limerick/Shannon, Galway and Cork and probably now there is some opportunity to encourage more companies to move in, relieve some of the pressure on Dublin housing, bring some business to other cities and all that.

They have tried this already. IDA Ireland tried to give grants to get MNCs to set up outside of Dublin but it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I think Dell are still manufacturing in Cork, they were late last year anyway but I think the appliance they were manufacturing will be end of life soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

awec wrote: »
    They have tried this already. IDA Ireland tried to give grants to get MNCs to set up outside of Dublin but it didn't work.

I now, but now it's time to try again :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I now, but now it's time to try again :)

They are. It's not like they tried and gave up. They will offer grants and spaces in office blocks and warehouses to companies to set up in the BMW region (border, midlands, west). It's not a once off thing, it's something they do continuously. They have a big business park in Sligo specifically for this. It works in attracting some companies to those areas but it's never going to attract a Google or Microsoft with thousands of employees to Sligo or other similarly sized towns and that should not be the goal.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/ida-building-for-the-future-here-in-sligo-37644620.html
    2018 was an excellent year for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Sligo. Three new IDA client companies established operations here, animal health and nutrition manufacturers Phibro, global software company LiveTiles and retail solutions company E3 Retail.

Expansions were announced by established companies Overstock, an e-commerce and technology company and Abbvie, the global R&D based biopharma company. Over 400 jobs were created.

Sligo is now home to 22 IDA client companies, employing 2,184 people.

For areas like this, this is exactly the type of companies they should be attracting. It's better to have 20 companies employing 2,000 people than it is to have 1 or 2 companies employing the same number.

And for the record, I know LiveTiles had serious issues getting developers. I was inundated with emails and linkedin messages from recruiters (loads of different recruitment companies and some were different people for the same company) asking me if I was interested. I got a couple of phone calls about it too from recruitment agencies that had my mobile number. A few of them told me they were struggling to get developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

And for the record, I know LiveTiles had serious issues getting developers. I was inundated with emails and linkedin messages from recruiters (loads of different recruitment companies and some were different people for the same company) asking me if I was interested. I got a couple of phone calls about it too from recruitment agencies that had my mobile number. A few of them told me they were struggling to get developers.

It's difficult enough for the big Dublin companies to hire; let alone those outside of Dublin. Granted the standard of candidate some of the technology companies look for is quite high; but positions in any teams I've been a part of routinely take anywhere from 6 months to well over a year to fill unless concessions are made.

Another aspect is the fact many technology employees hop from position to position and company to company every few years; this is a lot easier if you're based in an area with many other companies (e.g. Dublin). Indeed it is another one of the reasons Dublin is so popular; virtually every significant technology company and sector is represented here in some form or other.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ronivek wrote: »
    It's difficult enough for the big Dublin companies to hire; let alone those outside of Dublin. Granted the standard of candidate some of the technology companies look for is quite high; but positions in any teams I've been a part of routinely take anywhere from 6 months to well over a year to fill unless concessions are made.

Another aspect is the fact many technology employees hop from position to position and company to company every few years; this is a lot easier if you're based in an area with many other companies (e.g. Dublin). Indeed it is another one of the reasons Dublin is so popular; virtually every significant technology company and sector is represented here in some form or other.

Exactly. It's a big factor in why I'm not interested in dev roles in Sligo despite being from there. The job might be great but if they ever go out of business or I want to move for whatever reason, your options are extremely limited. In Dublin, you don't have that problem.

Saying that, the amount of companies with dev roles in Sligo has increased over the past few years so hopefully over time it continues this and ends up with a lot of companies with dev roles. That will make it more enticing for people as they will not be, more or less, stuck/tied to the one employer if they move there and put down roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

JLR are only in Shannon because they hired a whole design team from Intel who were closing down the team. JLR didn't move there and look for people. The people went to them and made the proposal. I've a friend who's been there from the start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement