Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI and accessbiilty

Options
  • 05-04-2019 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Should TFI and its affiliate companies not be bound by accessibility rules? I'm referring to the company Go Ahead Ireland, which recently took over some of DB's bus routes. An elderly relative of mine uses the 102 regularly and asked them to send out a timetable. No joke, you have to use a magnifying glass to read the times on it the font size is so small.

Even when you access the timetable from their website, it's in PDF format and again, it's extremely hard to read.

I would have assumed that any TFI website would be fully accessible, and that timetables could be zoomed in from a web browser.

Comments

Ctrl+scroll wheel on the pc

Double tap or pinch on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Ctrl+scroll wheel on the pc

Double tap or pinch on mobile

Have you tried this on your mobile device? I'd love to know how you get on!

chewed wrote: »

I did, was able to read the pdf with no issues

It should also be mentioned that both pc and phones have accessibility tools built in for exactly this purpose, it's just a matter of turning them on

I did, was able to read the pdf with no issues

It should also be mentioned that both pc and phones have accessibility tools built in for exactly this purpose, it's just a matter of turning them on

Yes but not that easy if you're elderly and not tech savvy. I had to click the pdf link and download it first. I wasn't able to zoom in on the timetable that was presented when I chose 102 from their menu. Even then it's really difficult to find the times and exact stop.

Yes but not that easy if you're elderly and not tech savvy. I had to click the pdf link and download it first. I wasn't able to zoom in on the timetable that was presented when I chose 102 from their menu. Even then it's really difficult to find the times and exact stop.

Honestly not dismissing the issues you highlighted, I do a lot of work in the area of accessibility. The expectation is that you use the tools provided and additional tools are employed on an individual basis where required.

Being elderly is not a barrier to learning, just need to adjust the teaching method to accommodate the skill / level of understanding

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Zoom in on PDFs? Yes, several times a day.
    I would have assumed that any TFI website would be fully accessible, and that timetables could be zoomed in from a web browser.

Set your web browser as the default application for opening PDFs.

Peregrine wrote: »
    Zoom in on PDFs? Yes, several times a day.

Set your web browser as the default application for opening PDFs.

You're missing the point. When you click the link to open the timetable, what you're presented with is a page with a PDF preview. So you can't zoom into on a mobile device, but instead are forced to click the PDF link instead so as to have the option to zoom in. This is just bad and lazy design! They should have just created a standard webpage with the timetable and a separate option to open a PDF version.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Try looking in your mobile browsers settings under Accessibility, Force enable zoom. Set this and you should be able to zoom sites that for some reason prevent you from doing so.

Advertisement