Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

While I completely agree with that I fail to see why only urban networks should benefit from a single integrated network.

Do small town, rural dwellers or those travelling longer distances who already have a poor service not deserve to benefit from a single ticketing regime rather than having to be at the whim of commercially based fare structures that only exist to provide profit to operators?

Where I live I have

1. Locallink scheduled route about 30min walk away 4 times/day
    2. Bus Eireann PSO 30 min walk away in other direction 4 times/day
    3. Commercial operator A 10 min drive away 6 times/day
    4. Commercial operator B same 10 min drive 8 times/day
    5. Other Locallink service 15 min drive 6 times/day

None of these have any integration, either fares or timetables. a return journey just to a directly served destination has to be done with the same operator or there is a massive fare penalty from buying single tickets, a journey to somewhere further afield just becomes quickly so convoluted with fare/operator mix that it is just not worth the bother. That doesn't even account for the scenario of a missed connection where operator A's responsibility to a passenger missing a departure on operator B is zero, "different company, not our problem pal" drive off and potentially leave passengers stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Fare increases from next Thursday. Only looked at M9 which has €2 per ticket increase. Least the Double Deckers are back for some services again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every city seems to have areas which there is no PSO route for.

In Galway its the north end of Knocknacarra: huge new estates that BE had zero interest in serving. Vs similar older estates in the east of the city that have three routes going to/thru.

And Athenry which had a shyte PSO and train service. A fully commercial service started, and they now have the only nite-bues in county.

PSOs were useful in covid because they gave a mechanism for the government to make services continue. But they seem to stifle innovation and customer focus. There must be a better way.

And existing licensing should be enough to force integrated timetables, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I think these issues are a hangover from the days before the NTA were setup when Expressway services were the bread and butter for BE and city/town services and even commuter were seen as low down the list of priorities. This has caused operators like DC and City Direct to step in where services weren't being provided by the major operator. At least in Dublin DB were always relatively quick to extend existing services to service new areas like Adamstown, Tyrellstown and Ballycullen.

Since the NTA have come along and privates have overtaken BE on the intercity market the focus for BE but focus is now shifting toward PSO city, rural and commuter services.

Unfortunately it seems to be hard for the NTA to change a commercial service over to PSO only examples I can think where that has happened has been where commercial services have ceased operating and been replaced by PSO services. I do believe this kind of carry on of having multiple uninteragrated operators wouldn't fly in Dublin or even Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Since it has been over a month since the 307/308 was suspended in Limerick. Would Dublin Coach have other suspensions lined up for the remainder of their network in the near future?

I assume the passengers who would have used these routes frequently before they were suspended are still very bitter and frustrated with Dublin Coach's decision to not run them through their area.

• Advertisement

https://www.indepenent.ie/business/dublin-coach-sues-daimler-benz-unit-over-10m-loss-and-damage-42180765.html

Irish coach operator Last Bus, which trades as Dublin Coach, has brought a multi-million euro claim against a UK unit of Daimler Benz which supplied it with 30 coaches in 2017 that the Irish company insists were defective.

An English firm that provided finance for the coaches under a hire purchase agreement has just successfully managed to have itself removed as a defendant in the case in the UK High Court following an application.

Last Bus was founded in 2007 by entrepreneur John O’Sullivan, who sold his Aircoach business in 2003 to FirstGroup.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Well I have to say that this is one I didn't see coming, but it makes sense now why after being a Mercedes customer for many years, they suddenly seemed to stop being interested in buying Mercedes vehicles.

Whilst there is a lot that can be spoken about in that article, the last line about Mr O'Sullivan seemingly not being one for reading contracts which he signed, is probably the highlight for me.

Mr O’Sullivan told the court that over the course of 20 years in dealing with Dawson, “he never once read the contract terms he was signing”.

That is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I see they've restarted the Dundrum to Airport route, which is handy for anyone wanting to get to the Red Cow or connect to their other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Had to head across to the airport from Tallaght on Saturday afternoon to collect a family member. I had just passed the Red Cow on the M50 and a Dublin Coach came straight down the ramp and moved across 3 lanes of traffic. The whole way out to the airport it crossed traffic lanes 7 times at speed too. I would say it was above the limit too, are these not meant to be governed to 80k seriously dangerous driving with what looked like a 3 bell load on board.

Probably no point in complaining to Dublin Coach is there ? from what I've seen on the road throughout the years and in this thread it seems to be company policy to just put the boot down and disregard other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Stick the footage up in the dashcam thread in the motors forum.

Beware that while the coach driver's actions will be judged so will yours if, for example, you were middle lane hogging as so many M50 drivers do constantly forcing others to lane change constantly to overtake while driving correctly in the left lane..

Speed limit for coaches is 100kph and there is nothing wrong with changing lanes on a motorway at speed as long as it it done safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

They are a cowboy outfit plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Wish I had the footage. Must invest in a decent dash cam.

I wasn't middle lane hogging at all. Nothing annoys me more to be honest. The bus in question was moving from the middle lane to the outside lane as mentioned in my previous post. AFAIK bus and coaches are not allowed be in those lanes, unless for overtaking purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I must say though I like the new buses. Very comfortable and clean

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Fair play to that driver, making great progress. I'm sure the passengers onboard were only too happy to arrive at their destination on time or even earlier. Fantastic service, when the alternative would be a state company running a jobs program for aul fellas close to retirement dwaddling up the road starting and stopping at every crossroads.

so if we assume the driver has breached rules, it's okay because it's a private company and bus eireann is some whatever that isn't actually the case in reality? laughable stuff altogether.

how come the other private coach companies, air coach, city link ETC can operate their services without resorting to this type of driving, and it's not the first time dublin coach has had concerns raised over the driving of some of their drivers among other issues, in fact they were in court weren't they over issues?

you need to get over it, this particular company have some well documented issues and are rightly criticised over it, the other private coach companies don't, bus eireann don't and therefore they are nothing to do with dublin coach.

if any of them do have similar issues then they wil be criticised for it no doubt but until then you are just engaging in deflection and whataboutery due to your anti-ps crappery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

And yet passengers continue to use Dublin Coach while Bus Eireann have had to cut routes. We saw the level of concern BE had for passengers and the "service" they provided before the increased competition from private companies, including Dublin Coach.

Have to say I’m a big DC fan- they are cheap and do run a frequent service. My biggest bugbear was those awful Setras/scrap they used to run. They appear to be scrapped or gone now.

I don’t like the Red cow stop interchange but that’s possibly a TFI issue more so

and? it's irrelevant ultimately and is just more deflection and whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Red Cow "interchange" is a tragedy waiting to happen. My daughter was left stranded there at midnight by DC. A very scary situation with no one from DC and no security. Never again.

• Advertisement

I often thought that- I’d hate to be a woman left alone there. You’d notice woman on their own looking a bit anxious for the bus to come- and I can’t say I blame them

I don't see an issue, the speed on the M50 is 100km/h. Now if they were in lane 3 on the M7 for long periods that is a problem. If anything much saver given how frequantly cars cut off HGV/buses while existing the M50.

Irish people just don't know how to drive on a 3 lane motorway. You see lane 1 on the M7 gets very little use with all the cars hogging the middle. Its great to have DC moving into Lane 1 or 3 to pass them out!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Only because they basically have a monopoly on the routes they operate on. Where they had to directly compete with another private operator, Aircoach, on the Dublin to Belfast route, it seems to have been a failure and they have withdrawn the service.

It seems when people have a real choice of operator on a route, they are much less successful.

I'm glad to hear that things are improving with them with their new Mercedes Coaches, they are an excellent coach, the question really is will they continue to maintain them well as they age. Maintenance seems to be one of their achilles heals, some of the coaches they have had in the past were also very good models, which ran well when properly maintained by other operators, but suffered badly with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

the Belfast to Dublin route was stopped in March 2020 due to COVD 19

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And the yet the service hasn’t returned. Interesting to note that it has even been removed from their journey planner.

Also Aircoach didn’t stop their service during covid, just reduced frequency for a while. So clearly DC struggled when they faced real competition.

They are by far the weakest of the private operators.

• not a true non stop service to Limerick
    • have to change at Red Cow to get to Dublin Airport
    • Terrible stop location at Dublin Airport

Never mind their history of poor customer service and coaches catching fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I’m sure that they are struggling with drivers like everyone else? The express to Belfast was a great service when it ran. I saw it very well loaded anytime I saw it up close.

Building back up their core routes along the M7 was always going to be the first priority. I actually saw an M1 express branding on one in Kildare yesterday, so it might make a return when they can get the buses and drivers in place.

Aircoach has not returned its full service yet either.

The green bus, while not the best, does a great job and offers a low cost alternative which is what people want. If that involves a change of bus or a couple of quick stops, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

No DC have not restarted the belfast service and Aircoach did suspend there belfast serivce for a Few Months and some of the coaches were moved to Dublin

Would DC have the coaches/drivers to even restart Belfast? I doubt it. Used it once and it’s probably the fastest Belfast Dublin service. Was a lot handier than the train tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Update on this, since the judgement of the case from November, which saw the case against Dawson dismissed, has been released, Evobus have claimed the following in response to the lawsuit from Dublin Coach / Last Bus.

EvoBus denies that any of the Tourismos was defective and pleads, as regards the four alleged fires, that:

(i) Tourismo 171-KE-1402 suffered a fire in or about its exhaust system on 10 February 2018 caused by contaminated fuel;

(ii) Tourismo 142-KE-1194 experienced a thermal incident (which EvoBus does not admit developed into a fire) on 16 March 2018 because an air hose linked to the engine cooling system had been disconnected by Last Bus leading to excessive coolant consumption that Last Bus failed to do anything about;

(iii) Tourismo 181-KE-1471 experienced a fire in the dashboard area on 17 March 2018, in and caused by additional electrical systems fitted by or on behalf of Last Bus after delivery;

(iv) Tourismo 161-KE-4873's engine was destroyed, possibly on or about 21 April 2018 (EvoBus does not admit the date), when it was driven for about 1½ hours in defiance of a red warning light as the engine overheated due to a burst coolant hose.

The case between Last Bus and Evobus is ongoing.

Advertisement