Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Ross to clean up savage and brutal MMA

• 06-01-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

http://www.the42.ie/shane-ross-mma-disturbing-3172984-Jan2017/

I'm no fan of Shane Ross, but I welcome this move. It's high time that people called MMA out for what it is (legitimised thuggery)

Minister Ross plans to have the 'sport' tightly regulated. I would actually prefer an outright ban, but hopefully his regulation of the sport helps remove some of the more disturbing aspects.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Killjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wonder who he is up against in the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mikem1325

Wait till Conor gets a hold of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ross couldn't regulate a bowel movement (and I'm no fan of mma).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not this sh1te again!

Was the "is it a sport?" thread not enough?
    It's going to be the same back and forth. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Regulation should be welcomed by all who wish the sport to evolve and become safer for participants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's not unreasonable to look for some sort of regulation after that Brazilian fighter died in Dublin recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Is he going to kick ass?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭_oveless_

m&a is trash it's just 2 guys pretending to do boxing for a minute then they grab onto each other and fall onto the ground and roll around on the floor for 45 mins a good streetfighter would kill any of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'm no fan of Shane Ross, but I welcome this move. It's high time that people called MMA out for what it is (legitimised thuggery)

Minister Ross plans to have the 'sport' tightly regulated. I would actually prefer an outright ban, but hopefully his regulation of the sport helps remove some of the more disturbing aspects.

Not this rubbish again.

You don't know what you're talking about, end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm no fan of MMA, but he should go after rugby first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

mansize wrote: »
    Regulation should be welcomed by all who wish the sport to evolve and become safer for participants

Sensible opinions like that won't go down well with the UFC fanbase. (Overweight men who wear Tap out teeshirts)

RayM wrote: »
    I'm no fan of MMA, but he should go after rugby first.

Rugby is regulated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

We need an MMA Celebrity death match.
    Shane Ross versus Twink would be a good opener.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Speaking to the Irish Daily Mail, Ross said that his department are currently looking at regulating MMA, and declined to answer whether he considers it to be a sport.

Is Shane Ross a Tayto Lover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

There should be a set of rules governing insurance, presence and availabilty od medical help, refereeing and stopping of fights, and governing discipline like you find in other sports.

Trouble is if you overdo regulation fights will be taken underground and happen in secret and things will be worse. Like the bare knuckle fights among the travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,070 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Whatever the motivation of this TD, I'm not a fan of MMA at all but regulation will actually be good for it, it will give MMA a much sounder footing and air of respectability in this country.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

The popularity of MMA shows that there is a real crisis of masculinity amongst the young and angry men who make up its target audience.

tigger123 wrote: »
    It's not unreasonable to look for some sort of regulation after that Brazilian fighter died in Dublin recently.

He was Portuguese. Secondly you'd swear MMA is "anything goes/ no holds barred" the way people are banging on. The sport has a pretty comprehensive rule set governing what is and isn't permissible. Unfortunately, like any other sport or strenuous activity - accidents happen and fatalities occur. Despite that however, MMA has a much lower fatality rate than swimming or cycling or horse riding. It especially has a lower fatality rate than boxing, a sport that has a huge tradition in Ireland and has done us proud internationally,

Funnily enough though, the likes of Michael Carruth and Katie Taylor aren't portrayed as unskilled thugs in an activity which should be banned.

doolox wrote: »
    There should be a set of rules governing insurance, presence and availabilty od medical help, refereeing and stopping of fights, and governing discipline like you find in other sports.

Trouble is if you overdo regulation fights will be taken underground and happen in secret and things will be worse. Like the bare knuckle fights among the travellers.

Will it go underground though? Was there a culture of underground boxing before MMA? And MMA brought it into the mainstream?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

I wish the minister well in his endeavours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's great having Shane Ross as a minister for something or other, so that he can give out about something or other.

Wasn't he going to investigate the Olympic Council of Ireland before? Tumbleweed ever since.

Meanwhile, Pat Hickey is still listed as President on the OCI website. I see in his profile that he was a former Irish judo champion.

I'd like to see him fight Shane Ross. Ross would last about ten seconds.

FTA69 wrote: »
    He was Portuguese. Secondly you'd swear MMA is "anything goes/ no holds barred" the way people are banging on. The sport has a pretty comprehensive rule set governing what is and isn't permissible. Unfortunately, like any other sport or strenuous activity - accidents happen and fatalities occur. Despite that however, MMA has a much lower fatality rate than swimming or cycling or horse riding. It especially has a lower fatality rate than boxing, a sport that has a huge tradition in Ireland and has done us proud internationally,

Funnily enough though, the likes of Michael Carruth and Katie Taylor aren't portrayed as unskilled thugs in an activity which should be banned.

Ground striking is permitted in MMA, this is very dangerous

The sport is in its infancy to compare mortality rates with established sports

I don't see how punching a grounded opponent's subsequent death could be seen as accidental- unintended perhaps. But the blows were not accidental

Where are your stats that it's less dangerous than swimming?

Unlike the other sports you mentioned, MMA fighters dont let up when your opponent is no longer able to defend him/herself. Never seen in that in cycling or swimming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

This is the man who flew to Rio to confront Hickey and got his ass handed to him. They guy who posts self congratulatory selfies on twitter because he caught a bus. Sweet Jesus.

FTA69 do you support regulation of MMA in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Unlike the other sports you mentioned, MMA fighters dont let up when your opponent is no longer able to defend him/herself.

Yeah shur Nunes is still walloping the head off Rousey as we type.

48 seconds stoppage by ref.

Ground striking is permitted in MMA, this is very dangerous

The sport is in its infancy to compare mortality rates with established sports

I don't see how punching a grounded opponent's subsequent death could be seen as accidental- unintended perhaps. But the blows were not accidental

It's a sport that is practiced across the world and is now around thirty something years old, hundreds of bouts are occurring every day in multiple countries on a huge variety of levels so it's not as infant as you're making it out to be.

Secondly ground striking is no more dangerous than getting a clean head shot while standing. If I have a someone in my guard and am interfering with his posture, his blows are much less debilitating than had I taken a straight cross to the jaw while standing. Lastly, should I be in a position unable to defend myself the fight will be stopped.

Now obviously there are incidents when the ref jumps in to late etc etc, but that is not a call for the sport to be banned. As we see in boxing all the time there are bad referees or fighters getting hit after they've been rocked badly etc but yet there aren't legions demanding the sport be scrapped.

What we are seeing here is a politician with no familiarity with combat sports responding to a moral panic by the Joe Duffy brigade who are also unfamiliar with combat sports.

• Advertisement

I am not calling for a ban, I'm calling for regulation- do you support that?

Where are your stats that it's less dangerous than swimming?

http://www.swimmingpoolnews.co.uk/pages/news98.html

In 2010 alone six people died in swimming pools, a far greater number died swimming in the sea and in various other water outlets. None were killed practicing MMA.

You get the idea.

http://www.swimmingpoolnews.co.uk/pages/news98.html

In 2010 alone six people died in swimming pools, a far greater number died swimming in the sea and in various other water outlets. None were killed practicing MMA.

You get the idea.

Competition swimming? I'm sure there were deaths in unlicensed MMA

I am not calling for a ban, I'm calling for regulation- do you support that?

Define regulation, it's a loose concept.

The sport already has comprehensive rules. The only reason it's not recognised as a sport is because the gobsh*tes in the martial arts council won't admit it and as such the sports council won't recognise it independently.

Irish MMA has been pushing for years for official recognition and the rest of it.

Competition swimming? I'm sure there were deaths in unlicensed MMA

Nope. People killed in boxing rings alright but none in an MMA fight in the UK ever.

Define regulation, it's a loose concept.

The sport already has comprehensive rules. The only reason it's not recognised as a sport is because the gobsh*tes in the martial arts council won't admit it and as such the sports council won't recognise it independently.

Irish MMA has been pushing for years for official recognition and the rest of it.

Regulation that put the fighter's safety as the paramount concern as the BBBC were forced to do post mcclellan and Watson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There was a large thread here recently discussing a similar topic.

Not a single person can prove MMA is more dangerous than boxing or any other highly physical sport.

People die or get injured no matter what they're doing.
    Lads have been killed or blinded playing hurling.
    Lads have had permanent, debilitating injuries from rugby
    Plenty of jockeys have died in horseracing and mototsports.

To suggest a ban or curtailing the sports would be considered madness. I don't know why this is being entertained.

Also, funny how the only thing Shane Ross has done since becoming minister is fly to Brazil to talk to Patrick Hickey and this.
    You'd think all the transport strikes would be a more useful way to spend his time.

Nope. People killed in boxing rings alright but none in an MMA fight in the UK ever.

But here in Ireland - there has been a fatality.

Minister Ross has no jurisdiction in the UK

eeguy wrote: »
    There was a large thread here recently discussing a similar topic.

Not a single person can prove MMA is more dangerous than boxing or any other highly physical sport.

People die or get injured no matter what they're doing.
    Lads have been killed or blinded playing hurling.
    Lads have had permanent, debilitating injuries from rugby
    Plenty of jockeys have died in horseracing and mototsports.

To suggest a ban or curtailing the sports would be considered madness. I don't know why this is being entertained.

Also, funny how the only thing Shane Ross has done since becoming minister is fly to Brazil to talk to Patrick Hickey and this.
    You'd think all the transport strikes would be a more useful way to spend his time.

All sporting organisations have a duty of care to participants
    Rules of all regulated sports have been updated to prevent foreseen injury and risk of same

Unlike the other sports you mentioned, MMA fighters dont let up when your opponent is no longer able to defend him/herself. Never seen in that in cycling or swimming.

Really?

Have a look at the Rousey video from last week.
    https://youtu.be/P9pqAHO6LI8

The ref stopped the fight as soon as she couldn't intelligently defend herself.
    If that was boxing they'd send her back into the ring after a 30 second breather and a wipe with a damp sponge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Still banned from the MMA forum for trolling, saying McGregor should retire back in March and is only going to embarrass himself etc?

Must have been a particularly salty year. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

While this has truth, Ross says he wants to make it "as safe as any other sport" which doesn't really make sense as boxing or rugby aren't exactly as safe as snooker or the 100m sprint.

All sporting organisations have a duty of care to participants
    Rules of all regulated sports have been updated to prevent foreseen injury and risk of same
    Yes and that's why there's plenty of rules in MMA to prevent injury.
    I don't understand how people see it as different from any other combat sport.

Sure you get punched on the ground, but part of the training is defending yourself from the ground.

But here in Ireland - there has been a fatality.

Minister Ross has no jurisdiction in the UK

You're moving the goalposts now. I pointed out correctly that on the whole MMA had a lower fatality rate than swimming and cycling and other such sports. Yes, we had one tragic fatality last year in Ireland but many more in other related sports and strenuous activities thus portraying MMA as some sort of unusually death-prone activity is disingenuous nonsense.

So you say the only regulation you want to see is them putting fighters welfare first, that's not a regulation that's an ethos.

Also citing boxing as an example of regulation is pretty much the worst comparison you can make considering ten boxers die every year in the ring. We had two high profile ones in the UK last year and Nick Blackwell nearly made the list. But yet boxing isn't being exposed to the same moral panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

If you dont like or understand it, then dont watch or read about it.

You're moving the goalposts now. I pointed out correctly that on the whole MMA had a lower fatality rate than swimming and cycling and other such sports. Yes, we had one tragic fatality last year in Ireland but many more in other related sports and strenuous activities thus portraying MMA as some sort of unusually death-prone activity is disingenuous nonsense.

So you say the only regulation you want to see is them putting fighters welfare first, that's not a regulation that's an ethos.

Also citing boxing as an example of regulation is pretty much the worst comparison you can make considering ten boxers die every year in the ring. We had two high profile ones in the UK last year and Nick Blackwell nearly made the list. But yet boxing isn't being exposed to the same moral panic.

Boxing is fighting the opposition permanently

I
    Moved no goalposts we were discussing Shane Ross and regulation- he doesn't have power in U.K.

There are other areas but fighter welfare is paramount

The Blackwell fight was stopped too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

Legalized thuggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

How come the few studies I found with a quick search show that there is a higher chance of injury in mma than other combat sports, including boxing with risk of death around same as boxing yet the line it's safer keeps on getting trotted out unchallenged, love to see where this safer stat comes from.....Anybody

You're comparing apples and oranges. MMA is a tiny fringe 'sport'. Comparing it to well established and centuries old sports is silly. Of course boxing will have more fatalities. It's been recognised and regulated as a sport since 1890 or so.

There's basically no difference between an MMA match and a group of tinker men gathering in a field to knock lumps out of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

tigger123 wrote:

He was Portuguese.

That should hopefully highlight how ignorant and ill informed you and other plonkers if your ilk are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Rugby is regulated

Regulated thuggery.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement