Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are accents being lost?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 5:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Noticed that kids seem to have a neutral or faux accent nowadays
    Known older people to travel and move away and accents have changed
    Anyone else notice this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I think so, ease of travel and communication is blending accents and standardising our English.

A good thing, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Those O'Donovan brothers went off to the Olympics for 3 weeks and you'd swear they'd been brought up in Brazil the way they go on now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

gramar wrote: »
    Those O'Donovan brothers went off to the Olympics for 3 weeks and you'd swear they'd been brought up in Brazil the way they go on now.

They aint losing the accent at all if anything playing it up more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

bigpink wrote: »

Whoosh!

Whoosh!

They have pure cork accents
    I mean young kids that have a faux accent just noticed over the xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

This horrible mid-atlantic accent. Some kids sound more American than Irish. I don't think its a good thing, not by a long stretch. Wrecks my head.

If someone is comfortable with themselves, be they 10 or 35, they won't feel the need to fit in with the accents their peers possess, whether that's an ex-pat living in London or Florida, or a kid whose friends develop a Nickelodeon accent.

This horrible mid-atlantic accent. Some kids sound more American than Irish. I don't think its a good thing, not by a long stretch. Wrecks my head.

If someone is comfortable with themselves, be they 10 or 35, they won't feel the need to fit in with the accents their peers possess, whether that's an ex-pat living in London or Florida, or a kid whose friends develop a Nickelodeon accent.

Some people just subconsciously melt into the local accent. It's not necessarily a choice. I agree some people adopt an accent to fit in, but it's not universally true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I have a niece and nephew that sound american. Much to my shame my own accent has softened over the years, I used to sound like Jackie healy rae, now only sound like Danny Healy rae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's really sad listening to people (mainly girls) only a few years younger than myself without a hint of their proper accent and having this horrible americanised accent.

It's clearly a deliberate affectation of an accent and not naturally occurring as I've watched 1000's of hours of American television and films and haven't picked up an accent.

Accents are good and anything different and unique in this increasingly homogenized world is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Just because AH is annoyed by a particular accent in the media and small pockets of South Dublin doesn't actually mean every regional accent in the country is on course to be wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Laeot

Pssst ... I think he was being sarcastic..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's clearly a deliberate affectation of an accent and not naturally occurring as I've watched 1000's of hours of American television and films and haven't picked up an accent.
    Naturally, everyone else is exactly like you, only less awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

They have West Cork accents. They're from a place the same distance from Cork city as Dundalk is from Dublin. Now compare the Dundalk and Dublin accents. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I need subtitles listening to some country accents but it would be great shame to lose them especially to that new awful Dublin one

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

What makes me laugh is these white kids that put on a 'Jamaican gangster' accent, even Indian/Pakistani kids do it as well, absolutely rife in London.

Here in Ireland, the kids all say like, like, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Hanwellian wrote: »
    What makes me laugh is these white kids that put on a 'Jamaican gangster' accent, even Indian/Pakistani kids do it as well, absolutely rife in London.

Here in Ireland, the kids all say like, like, like.

London has become de-anglicised to the extent that what's called Multicultural London English is the accent that most working class youngsters have there now. The sort of London Cockney accent (the one that Irish people imitate all the time as if people spoke it in Sunderland) mainly exists in the Essex/Kent overspill area.

That tracksuited nasal, gibberish in Dublin wouldn't be any loss if it vanished, any time you hear it you automatically make an assumption that the speaker hasn't been beyond the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Whoosh!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I think the penny still hasn't dropped! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I know a few people who mimic in a mild way my accent if they spend the day with me, they just do it subconsciously.

Quick article on it

Now, I am sure some people do "put on" accents to be more in with a group or feel it is more classy. But I am sure watching a lot of US tv and such are accidentally watering it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

No. It doesnt work like that.

I work in the USA and a lot of my co-workers are young americans with little experience of different accents.

If I didnt adapt to their way of speaking we wouldnt get much done. Saying something and getting a blank stare in return makes one adapt pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It's really sad listening to people (mainly girls) only a few years younger than myself without a hint of their proper accent and having this horrible americanised accent.

You know whats scary? The group thats most responsible for driving change in any language is... teenage girls. And if you think about it, it makes perfect sense; demographically they are probably the most social and communicative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

InTheTrees wrote: »
    If I didnt adapt to their way of speaking we wouldnt get much done. Saying something and getting a blank stare in return makes one adapt pretty quickly.

Yeah exactly this. Lived in US and Canada for years and through pure exhaustion at being told to "calm down" (because we speak pretty quick by their reckoning) or "you've got a charming accent" cue 30 minutes of the same conversation 20 times a day, I learned to tone it down and sound a little less "different". Nothing but pure necessity and practicality of getting my job done.

Do that long enough and it sticks, or the american inflection starts to infiltrate and you sound a bit different, a bit less Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MadDog76 wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

I think the penny still hasn't dropped! :D

Sure it's only cents that do be droppin' these days...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone that pronounces charity as charidee deserves a swift kick to the crotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lookinghere

Noticed that kids seem to have a neutral or faux accent nowadays
    Known older people to travel and move away and accents have changed
    Anyone else notice this
    I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Waterford uses the French uvular R and the T usually gets softened to D.

In the pub quiz Declan was asked: " Who wrote Pride and Prejudice?"

He answered: " I dunno who RoDe it. To tell you the tRuth I donD even know the name o' the tRaineR."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I heard myself on the work snapchat the other day and I sounded pure canadian. Can't help it, I pick up accents really quick.

I'm going home next week so need to knock it on the head pretty sharpish or my life won't be worth living for the slaggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,739 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ask Jimmy from Fair City .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Candie wrote: »
    Some people just subconsciously melt into the LOCAL accent. It's not necessarily a choice. I agree some people adopt an accent to fit in, but it's not universally true.

Los Angeles is not local to anywhere in Ireland

I don't think so

Just seen it kids from country area.
    Sound very neutral even a bit d4 all saying mom not mam or mum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just seen it kids from country area.
    Sound very neutral even a bit d4 all saying mom not mam or mum
    *ahem*

"Mammy"