Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flood risk area

Options
  • 05-01-2015 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Hope someone might help with this, ok so our home insurance is up for renewal this month ,we are with same company since we moved here and they have always gave us a good deal.,but this year our premium is huge like 600 euro dearer than last year..
    Was not happy so got on line to find a better deal ,went through 5 or 6 different company's none of them would give me Insurance no reason given on line.
    So got the phone today and rang around same story ,the reason is it now seems my house is now in a flood risk zone ...we live in a small housing estate not near any body of water never any flooding we are here since house were built ...there are a number of housing estates in the same area near centre of the town ...some houses are built 50 years and have never seen a flood.
    I checked the OPW flooding website no mention of our area being a risk and neighbours never had a problem up till now....is it just my house or is there a mistake on the insurance data base..I now face paying nearly 1300 euro for my insurance :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Did your current insurer tell you about the flood risk? Could you ask them where their data came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Current insurer did say that there is an additional risk of flooding ,when I queried there info all they said was that on there system our address was now a flood risk the same answer I got from the other company's, no one is giving me any additional information as to where this new information of flood risk is coming from.
    I have never claimed off my Insurance at any stage..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

That's very strange, especially since you said there's been no flooding in the surrounding areas either. Wherever they're getting their data, they're all pulling it from the same source. Perhaps someone can help with the source the insurers use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

all they said was that on there system our address was now a flood risk
    There are 2 classifications for flooding.

1: 100
    1:1000.
    They reflect the perceived chance of flooding that particular area over time.

some houses are built 50 years and have never seen a flood.
    I believe that the newer planning guidelines have stopped residential development in the 1:100 areas.

Advertisement