Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new bed, but landlord won't help

Options
  • 30-11-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

A mate moved into a furnished apartment recently, it has the basics, noting fancy, but still grand all the same. When moving in the landlord mentioned that the bed wasnt the best to which the mate replied they might be able to get one but that fell through and now the landlord wont change the bed as he says as my mate as been sleeping in it it's fit for purpose even though the base is broken and lop sided and the matress isn't great either. What can he do, must he put up with the bed or stump up for a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

im not sure but i got a crappy bed and told landlord it wasnt fit for purpose and he replace it.

Im sure if it broke ;) he could get a new one. But to be honest Im not 100% sure of the rules if he MUST get you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I think the real problem is what defines "fit for purpose" when it comes to a bed, I mean you could sleep on a bare floor. I think it could be a tough one but thought I 'd ask others for their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I recently had to move back home temporarily and got a double faux leather bed, with steel frame for E109 (homebase) and a half price silent night mattress from beds.ie for E175. Argos always have good deals also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Our bed wasn't much cop. The mattress was so hard we woke up with stiff necks and bruising.

In the end, we just bought our own bed, and flat-packed the landlord's. He was totally fine with it.

OP - can you not just buy your own and dismantle the existing one? Before doing that, take pictures of the old bed showing the state of it, and show them to the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Had the same problem ended up buying one in Argos for 180. Left it there when I left. I did ask the landlord for half - he said no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I can't believe the replies to this????????????

It is the landlords responsibility to get a new bed if the bed you have is broken, you request one from him if he refuses ring threshold (ring the one in cork or galway as the dublin one is always engaged www.threshold.ie) tell them they can ring him requesting that he get you a new bed

I had a similar problem with my LL, the bed was completely broken so I let LL know (rang him and sent a registered letter requesting new bed) I also told him that if i didnt get a bed then there was really no point in me renting his property and that i would have no choice but to find alternative accommodation, I also withheld rent until I got a bed, if he didnt give me one then obviously he was going to keep deposit as i was braking lease so i was keeping the rent to use as deposit and mth rent for a new place

This I know is not legal but when you have had no sleep for weeks due to no bed sleep deprivation does funny things to a person :D

Threshold rang him for me also and he did get me a new bed in the end :) really why would you rent a place if you cant sleep in it and why should you have to folk out for you own bed when your renting thats the whole point of renting you dont have to buy furniture :rolleyes:

edellc wrote: »
    I can't believe the replies to this????????????

It is the landlords responsibility to get a new bed if the bed you have is broken, you request one from him if he refuses ring threshold (ring the one in cork or galway as the dublin one is always engaged www.threshold.ie) tell them they can ring him requesting that he get you a new bed

I had a similar problem with my LL, the bed was completely broken so I let LL know (rang him and sent a registered letter requesting new bed) I also told him that if i didnt get a bed then there was really no point in me renting his property and that i would have no choice but to find alternative accommodation, I also withheld rent until I got a bed, if he didnt give me one then obviously he was going to keep deposit as i was braking lease so i was keeping the rent to use as deposit and mth rent for a new place

This I know is not legal but when you have had no sleep for weeks due to no bed sleep deprivation does funny things to a person :D

Threshold rang him for me also and he did get me a new bed in the end :) really why would you rent a place if you cant sleep in it and why should you have to folk out for you own bed when your renting thats the whole point of renting you dont have to buy furniture :rolleyes:

You mean fork out??

In our case, we CHOSE to get a new bed. There was nothing wrong with the existing one if you don't mind sleeping on a board.

Although our place is furnished, I've used a lot of my own stuff which I brought with me. Again, that's OUR choice, the landlord's happy with that and so are we.

But this is only for us. I would have thought the whole point of renting could be many different reasons. Not having to buy furniture wouldn't be one of the main reasons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

You mean fork out??

In our case, we CHOSE to get a new bed. There was nothing wrong with the existing one if you don't mind sleeping on a board.

Although our place is furnished, I've used a lot of my own stuff which I brought with me. Again, that's OUR choice, the landlord's happy with that and so are we.

But this is only for us. I would have thought the whole point of renting could be many different reasons. Not having to buy furniture wouldn't be one of the main reasons...

good for you that you choose to get a new bed and get over yourself my post isnt a direct attack at you....the op asked if the the LL should "stump up for a new one?" and in reply to that I said YES, there are many reasons to rent however the majority of rentals are furnished and therefore you should not have to FORK OUT for a new bed
    what is the point of renting a place if you cant sleep there??????

edellc wrote: »
    good for you that you choose to get a new bed and get over yourself my post isnt a direct attack at you....the op asked if the the LL should "stump up for a new one?" and in reply to that I said YES, there are many reasons to rent however the majority of rentals are furnished and therefore you should not have to FORK OUT for a new bed
    what is the point of renting a place if you cant sleep there??????

I do hate Americanism's (get over yourself)....And I do not intend to get into an argument with you. I KNEW your post wasn't an attack on me, but the tone of it with regard to some of the responses given the thread concerned me. The posters were trying to give advice which the OP is free to act on or not as they choose.

I simply gave my case scenario. If you read my earlier post, I gave a suggestion to the OP as to how he could solve his problem.

I'll leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tomto

There's a place in Longford where you can get a Brand New Double Bed with Airsprung Mattress for only €149 or a Silentnight one for only €199. Free Delivery as far as I'm aware. Hundreds of positive posts here on boards under www.bigmickey.ie

Nobody should be made sleep on a rubbish bed.

The link for the €149 is on donedeal as follows :

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bedroom/1618093

Hope this is helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tomto wrote: »
    There's a place in Longford where you can get a Brand New Double Bed

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One of the reasons standards of furnishings etc in Ireland in rented accommodation are so very poor is clearly seen here in that so many refuse to impose decent standards on landlords and accept rubbish.

The sums quoted here might not seem much to those earning, but to eg a pensioner or someone unemployed?

It takes a bit of hassle but getting bad beds, chairs etc replaced by the landlord can be done. So often they just dump old stuff in the rental to get rid of it without paying to scrap it.

We once rented a house and when we moved in there were two large extra bedroom units and wardrobes that were not there when we viewed. He admitted he had no space else to put them.

The three piece suite there was utterly filthy and we made him take that out; we got easy chairs from Vincent de Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

kmick wrote: »
    Had the same problem ended up buying one in Argos for 180. Left it there when I left. I did ask the landlord for half - he said no.

well more fool you, you should have broke it in half so the stingey, greedy b*stard couldn't make use of it

Advertisement