Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Speed Limits

Options
  • 06-10-2003 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

From RTE News online
    Govt considering new speed limits

October 6, 2003

(11:34) Speed limits on motorways and national main roads are to go up, under new proposals being considered by the Government. All limits will also be set in kilometres per hour.

Under the move the general limit on main roads to will rise to 62 mph, or 100 kilometres per hour. The speed limit on motorways is to rise from 70mph to 75mph or 120 kilometres per hour.

But limits near schools and in built up areas will fall to under 20mph, and the limit on non-national roads around the country will fall from 60mph to 49mph or 80 kilometres per hour.

It is expected new km per hour signage, accompanied by a major advertising campaign, will all be in place by September next year.
    Well this seems to be good news. Not the part about them increasing the speed limits, nor the part about them decreasing them, but the fact that by doing both it means they are not going to just blindly increase/decrease them across the board. Hopefully though it will go a bit further than the above article says, and they will assign speed limits on a road by road basis. And even more hopefully, the people they get to assign the speed limits will actually get up off their arses and go look at the roads/areas rather than make their decisions based on maps/drawings/out of date photos. This is the best chance we will have to totally re-evaluate our road speed limits, I just hope those in charge don't make a mess of the opportunity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

I just hope those in charge don't make a mess of the opportunity.
    by virtue of the fact that they are in charge, they probably will make a mess of it

I have visions of people booting down the motorway at 120mph (instead of km/h)

"Sorry Garda, I though the limit was 120mph, sure I dont understand that metric system"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by dmeehan

"Sorry Garda, I though the limit was 120mph, sure I dont understand that metric system"

Someone IS going to use those very words and act a bit thick and guess what, they'll get away with it!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I'd say they'll get away with it on roads that use a kph that is equivilent to a current mph sign, e.g. doing 40 mph on a 40 kph road, but not doing 120 mph on a 120 kph road, as there is no 120 mph roadsign currently, so they have no excuse for that mix-up. Plus, as much as I think many roads have speed limits that are too slow, I don't think any road in Ireland could safely handle 120 mph the way things are, so the Gardai would most likely make an example of anybody doing anything too excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by mike65
    Someone IS going to use those very words and act a bit thick and guess what, they'll get away with it!

Mike.

Incidentally I did hear a reporter on the radio yesterday say that the limit on motorways was to be upped to 120 MPH. Can't remember which station it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by John2002
    Incidentally I did hear a reporter on the radio yesterday say that the limit on motorways was to be upped to 120 MPH. Can't remember which station it was though.

Reminds me of "Space Shuttle Travels at 18 Times Speed of Light. So says CNN." http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/pc/shuttle.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement