Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water and heating

Options
  • 01-01-2015 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

There seems to be an airlock in out hot water taps I tried all the tips on the Internet but they haven't worked.

As we are renting I contacted the emergency number for the agent at 12.30 today got a text at 2pm that she will contact the plumber and revert have heard nothing since

am I right in thinking I can't turn the heating on now did a Google search but no real answer? This is a nightmare as there is only one gas fire other then central heating and we had kids with doctor at 10 this morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're unlikely to geta a plumber out on New Year's day unless it's an extreme emergency, which "no hot water" isn't.

Tell us more about your heating system, and maybe someone can give you advice. (I've no clues myself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

Just had a call from agent they told me I cannot turn on heating and that they won't be able to get a plumber to me until Tuesday.

Having no hot water is annoying but having no heating in January to me is more then annoying.

Yes it's New Year's Day and it not an emergency but I did expect something to be done tomorrow or Saturday not be left five to six days without heating a shower or hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Just had a call from agent they told me I cannot turn on heating and that they won't be able to get a plumber to me until Tuesday.

Having no hot water is annoying but having no heating in January to me is more then annoying.

Yes it's New Year's Day and it not an emergency but I did expect something to be done tomorrow or Saturday not be left five to six days without heating a shower or hot water

If the airlock is in the hot taps then turning on the heating is perfectly fine so don't worry.
    Have you a hot water cylinder?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It may be the boiler- or indeed the pump- that has the airlock- and unfortunately these can be a bitch to bleed (and you need to know what you're doing- its not a DIY type jobbie).

At the moment- getting a plumber out for Tuesday- probably is as good as it gets- in the absence of a service contract.

I been told by the agent not to turn on heating so I better not as I sure knowing my luck I cause a load of damage.

Yes we have a hot water cylinder

I am going to ring the agent office tomorrow wanting to know what the delay is and seeing if I can employ a plumber at my own cost as I not going to leave the kids in a freezing house with chest infections my husband taken them to my parents place two hours away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I been told by the agent not to turn on heating so I better not as I sure knowing my luck I cause a load of damage.

Yes we have a hot water cylinder

I am going to ring the agent office tomorrow wanting to know what the delay is and seeing if I can employ a plumber at my own cost as I not going to leave the kids in a freezing house with chest infections my husband taken them to my parents place two hours away

Well I'm plumbing nearly 20 years now but if you'd rather take the advise of an estate agent then work away

Well you seriously a plumber then I most def will take your advice

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Well I'm plumbing nearly 20 years now but if you'd rather take the advise of an estate agent then work away

Mod note: Professional advice is not permitted as the authenticity of posters can't be verified. If the OP follows your advice and something goes wrong the defence of 'someone from the Internet told me' won't wash with a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, my advice:

Ring the agent tomorrow, tell them you have sick children and need them to either get it fixed earlier (unlikely) or to get you some electric heaters. Yes, they cost a lot to run (IMHO the oil-filled ones are better than fan ones), but it's only for a few days.

If they say to buy them yourself and they'll re-imburse, then agree on a budget and go and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭little foot

Ring a 24hour plumbing service n get it sorted. Charge to landlord. Heating and hot water are a must! Regardless of sick kids. You pay good money to stay there n more then lightly more den good money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Dtp1979 do not post here again. There is already a mod note regarding professional advice.

Hi just an update I rang the agent this morning asked to speak to the owner/manager explained that either a plumber comes out today and try to resolve the issue. Or I would be going to a hotel as the house was too cold for kids with chest infections.
    The manager then informed me that a error occurred as the plumber was never called. I said no error occurred it simply wasn't done and that I had an email from his staff member on the company email address saying it had been done and he be out at 10am on Tuesday.
    I just said I just want to able to have hot water and he said he sort it.
    Its amazing what happened next a plumber came within 25 mins and had it unblocked in a few mins I now learnt how to do it from him too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm thrilled you've had a successful outcome.

Happy New Year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement