Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil costs

Options
  • 29-11-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I rent out a room in my house and obviously have given him use of the other rooms too, he is even having friends come to stay this weekend.

Anyway my question is that I am home a lot more than him, he leaves about 6 for work and doesn't get in till about 7 and I don't go to work till after 9 and am home by 6 so even thought I would use the heating more is it still right that the bill for oil is split 50/50.

I stipulated when he moved in that all bills would be shared equally. i don't charge him for the SKY as he doesn't use it that often he does sometimes but he has a TV in his room.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭cheesey1

Thanks, just wanted to check since I probably use most of it - we got oil at the end of August and there is still plenty in the tank but just afraid if the rest of the year is like it is at the moment we'll need more over Christmas as i don't fancy running out. Will check the tank in about 2 weeks and see how it is looking and maybe order some more than.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

cheesey1 wrote: »
    Anyway my question is that I am home a lot more than him, he leaves about 6 for work and doesn't get in till about 7 and I don't go to work till after 9 and am home by 6 so even thought I would use the heating more is it still right that the bill for oil is split 50/50.

If that was the deal then it's perfectly fair unless you're one of those people that has to have the house at Saharan levels at all times in winter. Or worse, one of those people that has the heating on and the windows open "because we need some fresh air"!

If that was the deal then it's perfectly fair unless you're one of those people that has to have the house at Saharan levels at all times in winter. Or worse, one of those people that has the heating on and the windows open "because we need some fresh air"!

No I don't put it on when I get in from work either as i am usually going somewhere a while later and I have controls on each radiator to control the tempature so its usually different in each room depending on how often the room is used. Can't understand why people open windows when the heat is on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

Can't understand why people open windows when the heat is on!!

If it is someone leaving heat on while window is open, I don't get that either.

However I do understand why some people would open a window or two when it is not on. The reason being that build up of condensation leads to dampness within the house over time and mould starts to grow and spread.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement

I rent out a room in my house and obviously have given him use of the other rooms too, he is even having friends come to stay this weekend.

I stipulated when he moved in that all bills would be shared equally. i don't charge him for the SKY as he doesn't use it that often he does sometimes but he has a TV in his room.

I advised him this morning that as the weather is due to turn bad again (did it ever get nice) and with the Christmas period we should maybe top the oil tank up by €200 worths thats €100 each and he was like you told me the oil which we got in August would last till March - I said it might last till the New Year but then again I didn't account for the freezing spell and I don't want frozen pipes in my house. Was I right to ask him to pay for more oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I advised him this morning that as the weather is due to turn bad again (did it ever get nice) and with the Christmas period we should maybe top the oil tank up by €200 worths thats €100 each and he was like you told me the oil which we got in August would last till March - I said it might last till the New Year but then again I didn't account for the freezing spell and I don't want frozen pipes in my house. Was I right to ask him to pay for more oil?

yes.

if its a big deal you could work something out to pay him back for any un-used by the time he moves out but you are not being unreasonable here at all.

yes.

if its a big deal you could work something out to pay him back for any un-used by the time he moves out but you are not being unreasonable here at all.

thanks, he moved in last May and there was a good bit of oil in the tank and he also put the heat on during the summer so I feel that if he moves out I shouldn't need to pay him back for any unused oil - I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

To be honest I would be annoyed if a lanlord told me oil I paid for woudl last until March and yet you are asking for more money in December. Also normally I woudl agree with sharing costs etc but did you tell him you work from home when he agreed to this. This happened me once and I was very annoyed as it was pretty much on all day although I did suck it up and just pay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Terri26 wrote: »
    To be honest I would be annoyed if a lanlord told me oil I paid for woudl last until March and yet you are asking for more money in December. Also normally I woudl agree with sharing costs etc but did you tell him you work from home when he agreed to this. This happened me once and I was very annoyed as it was pretty much on all day although I did suck it up and just pay

Where does the OP say they work from home? :confused: All they say is that they leave a little later and get home before the tenant that's hardly working from home.

• Advertisement

Terri26 wrote: »

I don't work from home and never said I did just that I am there more than him. I also said the oil would last till the New Year he decided I said March, and as its the middle of December its not far off the New Year. The heat isn't on all day, comes on just before he goes to work and again just before I go to work and then from 7pm till about 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Bottom line is he agreed to pay for half the oil and he's trying to go back on that now.

When you told him it would last until the new year you could hardly have foreseen the coldest November since records began.

Advertisement